Lost files

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Spirit

Lost files

Post by Spirit »

Starting with some engines:

I am looking for q2000exe_020100.zip ( http://web.archive.org/web/200003021830 ... loads.shtm ). Also the correspondent source of course.

Any Quake2000 stuff really.

Also if you have some assorted engines, please check http://www.quaddicted.com/files/engines/ and tell me if they are not there.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Baker

Re: Lost files

Post by Baker »

I'm thinking 95% of the people here can't figure out how to log-in

[Hint: Clear all cookies in your browser. Seriously. Dumb, but true.]

I'm curious as to what this engine did to make you interested in it (I never heard of it before).
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
revelator

Post by revelator »

Got the engine but newer the source :S i think at the time it was one of the first engines which just worked and still looked better than the rest of the engines.
Many at that time thought that by having the engine code there where no restrictions and they happily made better versions whilst believing they could make Commercial offshots free of charge and keep there modifications closed source and later learned that GPL might mean free as in beer but not that free :) xquake was probably a good example as to how far you could dance with id's advocates.

I been sifting pretty much the Whole net and i cant find the source so id say its a lost cause unless someone here got it :)
Productivity is a state of mind.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

I think this early version of Q2000 only had the following:

- Fog
- Spinning console background
- QER model interpolation
- A unhooked tracker module playback system that loads modules but doesn't actually play them

A lot of the later Quake2000 features are seen in the "unofficial GLQuake" engine anyway, including that "bumpmapping" which seems to be deceptive and is really only a gray 256x256 alphablended texture.
i should not be here
Baker

Post by Baker »

including that "bumpmapping" which seems to be deceptive and is really only a gray 256x256 alphablended texture.
I wonder if "bumpmapping" had an official meaning back then, because no smaller number of engines used that feature as "bumpmapping" ...

Was very confusing especially after learning that wasn't really what bumpmapping was ...
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

REAL bumpmapping's been around in the 90s, Montezuma's Return! and Outcast are two big examples from 98-99 that used it a lot. Evolva and Giants: Citizen Kabuto also had it in 2000. Even the infamous Trespasser had it and had shiny metal objects for it. So the term was properly established and used for the said graphical effect.

It wasn't until Tenebrae and Darkplaces that we had it for real, albeit in a much more advanced form than the mentioned games.
i should not be here
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Baker wrote:I'm curious as to what this engine did to make you interested in it (I never heard of it before).
"Gotta catch them all." :wink:

reckless: As original zip by any chance?
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
revelator

Post by revelator »

Aye got the original though its an older release than the one you posted (Alpha version) if you want it ill upload it :)

Hehe the old detail texture trick it did make maps look more gritty the downside was that everything looked the same.

Outcast was one of my favorite games of that time though rather taxing on the hardware back then :S voxel engine with the best Water and shadows i seen (easily comparable in detail to modern engines).
Productivity is a state of mind.