What do you think of this project?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Mexicouger

What do you think of this project?

Post by Mexicouger »

I wanted to try something different, so I decided to make a top down zombie shooter, but a unique one(Just for fun).
Im basically mixing up 2D and 3D elements. The game is no where near done, Im just showing about 2 weeks of off and and work by myself.

Zombies getting player after already dead. Barriers are a bit offset, just placed quickly.

A power up station. A player can purchase it and basically get triple the health.(Comparable to juggernog in Treyarchs Zombies)

A cursor has been added so the player can spin around 360 degrees using the mouse. Movement and aiming are now independent of eachother(CSQC)

Flamethrowers fire illuminates the new map(Grocery store). Lighting has not been worked on. Player is visible in this picture.

Video testing an idea of having a flashlight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvCTXYLShXg

Artwork may or may not change as the project continues. I basically use a 2D plane for most objects in the game. The gameplay is inspired by Treyarchs Zombies.(Build barriers, fend waves of zombies, purchase weapons and doors to proceed).
gnounc

Re: What do you think of this project?

Post by gnounc »

I'd say it looks like you're on the right track to something.
Keep us posted.

If you go with the bright and colorful art direction of the first few screenshots you showed,
i'd suggest not having a flashlight so you can really show it off.

Then again, dynamic lighting worked for monaco *shrugs*
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

how are you doing the 2d guys ?
hogsy

Post by hogsy »

Looks great! Looking forward to seeing more work done on this ;)
Mexicouger

Post by Mexicouger »

Thanks! Im doing most everything 2D using a 3D 2 dimensional plane in-game, and laying it near the ground. Beings that the camera is top down, everything looks 2D, yet you get cool modern day particle effects, as well as a 3D world to explore. I have been trying to make the 2D planes 8 bit, but Darkplaces does some sort of smoothng on .png images that ruins the effect.

And I will definetly post more work. I usually post updates on my moddb and youtube page. Just normally where I put my development things.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

really neat man, iv thought about making some 2d type games.