sandbox multiplayer with monsters

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
qbism

sandbox multiplayer with monsters

Post by qbism »

Rather quiet here today...

Sandbox multiplayer - DM or coop rules are undefined. Players individually can choose to team up against other players or against monsters, or go it alone. The map would be interconnected while maintaining a progression through monsters, traps, and puzzles to the exit.

I guess this would be close to coop with friendly-fire on, with a little more acknowledgement of how frequently casual coop players turn against each other.

End of level should show more stats per player and players can decide on frags, monster kills, or speed through the map counts the most

Should the exit end the level?
leileilol

Re: sandbox multiplayer with monsters

Post by leileilol »

Reinventing DMSP?
i should not be here
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

qbism wrote:Rather quiet here today...

Sandbox multiplayer - DM or coop rules are undefined. Players individually can choose to team up against other players or against monsters, or go it alone. The map would be interconnected while maintaining a progression through monsters, traps, and puzzles to the exit.

I guess this would be close to coop with friendly-fire on, with a little more acknowledgement of how frequently casual coop players turn against each other.

End of level should show more stats per player and players can decide on frags, monster kills, or speed through the map counts the most

Should the exit end the level?
Could be "random-mission" oriented - one level players need to team up against monsters, next level all alliances are broken because is last man standing time, or maybe team dm, or the last to reach exit dies and loses all inventory. It can turn into something quite interesting, actually.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Make it so if a monster sees you shooting another player, the monster will also target that player instead of you. And if you manage to kill the other player, the monster will follow you to help. If you also make the opposite to be true (hurting another monster will make your friendly monster stop following you, and killing another monster will turn your friendly monster against you), managing to keep the trust of your partner, be it a human or monster, would be quite challenging.

You could make it so your friendly monster will walk towards other monsters to "talk" them into not attacking you, while you would have to tell other human players to not attack your monster. The monster could also be programmed to attack other players regardless of being not attacked by them, just like you aren't expected to convince the other players to not attack any monster other than your own.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
qbism

Post by qbism »

DMSP does a great job of access control and shifting pathways. DM->SP might be a better way to think than SP->DM. Even with well-connected SP, there can be a lot of time spent catching up to the group in coop.

Along with the concept of monster loyalty/treachery, perhaps none of the monsters attack unless a player attacks first, or if a player steals an object a monster is guarding.
qbism

Post by qbism »

DMSP has the waves of monsters and works with any DM map. As far as the map progression I was actually thinking of a dm map that was converted to sp with added doors and keys, can't remember the name or mapper atm.
negke

Post by negke »

That could've been my Bad Dark Cistern (dm456sp). Or the DMC episodes.

Also, necros once wrote a mod with dynamic monster spawning and advanced AI pathfinding (featuring a nice E1 merger map): ne_dynamic
qbism

Post by qbism »

negke wrote:That could've been my Bad Dark Cistern (dm456sp). Or the DMC episodes.

Also, necros once wrote a mod with dynamic monster spawning and advanced AI pathfinding (featuring a nice E1 merger map): ne_dynamic
Thanks, it was DMC that I was thinking of. I want to revisit that and try the others you mentioned. Than's dm7rmx is also a good example of dm/sp crossover.

Sometimes my buddies and I play "race to the slipgate" in coop. FF on, of course. Becomes tiresome in linear maps when someone with all the weaps camps at a chokepoint. Multi-pathway DMish maps allows shortcuts as obstacles are disabled and keeps it interesting. Just as a silly example.