Quake MOD - In The Shadows

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
ceriux

Re: Quake MOD - In The Shadows

Post by ceriux »

im not that great of a mapper, but i do think this looks pretty awesome. had to have taken a while to do all of that brick work.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

@sock: great geometry work! What map editor are you using ?
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
sock

Post by sock »

@ceriux, most of the time was spent trying to get the feeling of the space right, I wanted the large bricks to appear torn away and the new section (small bricks) awkwardly merged. The brushwork cuts are not complex but I did want the torch light to highlight the underside of the large bricks. The final touch is the spot lights with the candles dotted around on large bricks that are exposed.

@frag.machine, I use the SD GTK Editor v1.3.8. Here is a link http://www.simonoc.com/files/misc/wolfet_tool.exe to the package if you want to install it. This version of GTK does not support Q1 directly and I hacked together a special entity/shader file to fool the editor. I also expanded the relevant textures into a special directory so that the editor can display them properly. It may appear to be an awkward process but the features of the editor out weight the time involved in getting the process to work. I have used the editor for 8+ years and I know every fault and feature and have no development surprised that waste my time.
Well he was evil, but he did build a lot of roads. - Gogglor
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Nice... I already played with rtcw mapping a long time ago. Thanks for the link, I'll check it.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
jitspoe

Post by jitspoe »

Looking really nice - I'm impressed at how good those low res textures can look with the appropriate geometry.
sock

Latest Progress

Post by sock »

New location - Baramous Keep - New start location

Zombie Knights in the Crypt

Front Entrance to the Keep
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

all of those look really nice , although i feel like the crypt should look darker. it feels really bright for it being a crypt with zombies walking around.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Nice... This mod is surely throwing a good deal of fresh ideas to the Quake universe, without deviating from the original mood (which is both hard to acomplish and remarkable).
The concept of undead knights are something I already experimented some time ago (mine were equipped with axes though), unfortunately I don't have the skills to animate then in a convincing way, so I scrapped the idea. :(
sock

Post by sock »

ceriux wrote:it feels really bright for it being a crypt with zombies walking around.
This is a difficult situation to fix because in game the gamma can be tweaked by the player but a screenshot cannot and has to be viewable on multiple devices (monitors, phones, tablets) which all have different levels of brightness and contrast. I always adjust screenshots to be brighter than normal, I would prefer the screenshot to be too bright than too dark. I generally test all screenshots on my Ipad to check the worse case situation and that is why they can look too bright on a PC monitor.

@frag.machine, the new zombie knight was designed and animated by Lunaran (link - http://www.lunaran.com/) I saw it in his unreleased mod and asked if I could use it. Animation is the one thing I have not done much with, luckily I know a few good people who can do animations.

Got some more News - http://www.moddb.com/mods/its/news/new-toys2 about the MOD progress. If anyone here has played the MOD, please remember to Vote - http://www.moddb.com/mods/its/reviews and comment on the Moddb page.
jitspoe

Post by jitspoe »

Only minor suggestion I have is, on the archways, instead of having a texture that has the trim angled, actually use the straight trim texture, cut out the brushes, and rotate the texture. I think this will get you cleaner lines instead of the jagged edges that are currently present.
sock

Post by sock »

@jitspoe, yeah I know what you mean, the texture resolution is so low that diagonal lines are not blending properly. I should of hand painted those arches so they blended better and use the Quake palette properly. If I cut the arches into separate brushes and rotate the textures there will be seams along all of the brush joints. The ideal solution is a better texture because diagonal lines can be drawn but they require a lot of time and patience.
sock

Post by sock »

Yeah! Rock Paper Shotgun wrote an article about the MOD -
It’s 2013 And I Want To Play Quake: In The Shadows | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

sock

Post by sock »

Been experimenting lately with adding darkplace options to my mod like rtlight files and liquid shaders. Any feedback from the darkplaces community would be welcome or how this looks.

ceriux

Post by ceriux »

that looks pretty awesome to me =)
sock

Post by sock »

A quick video showing the extra visual options of the Darkplaces engine; real time lighting, custom particles and various shader effects.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LhYn1R4OTI