Quake MOD - In The Shadows

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
sock

Re: Quake MOD - In The Shadows

Post by sock »

Shadowgate (S1M1) was the first test map I created for the mod and was a good place to start my eye candy visual boost. These screenshots are from the Darkplaces engine with real time lighting, custom particles and various shader effects.

Guard Duty in the Cave

New start area for the map

Indoor Slime pit hazards
Well he was evil, but he did build a lot of roads. - Gogglor
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

that portal is awesome, also like how the new water/slime looks modern yet still pixelated. gives a nice feel to the retro looking atmosphere quake has.
Chip

Post by Chip »

The cave wall in the first screenshot looks like it's made of gold, or has tiny gold particles inside. Awesome.

It's a nice combination, Darkplaces lighting and traditional look. :beer:
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
sock

Post by sock »

One of the primary features of the stealth system is that monsters explode into a shower of body parts and the default system is very basic (arm/leg/torso/slice). I felt this was something that should be more interesting visually, so I started by rework the existing assets and add new multiple frames for variety. The next step was to create custom body parts which randomly drop and the final step to add various explode and impact sounds to the gibs. Here is a collection of the more unique body parts that can appear from monsters, this is an ongoing process and more will be made.

ceriux

Post by ceriux »

hah thats awesome, iv always thought that has been a problem with gib systems in shooters like quake. the gibs were way too generic. but these looks awesome and should definitely add some fun through visuals.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Yeah, agreed... proper monsters limbs ftw. No more monsters throwing human giblets.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
sock

Post by sock »

Yeah it is odd how most of the Quake gibs are humanoid, but I imagine ID ran out of time and hit model limits (255 per map). I originally created the extra gibs for weapons but I extended it to body part as well. I cut most of the creature parts at the leg and arm bone joints. The stumps are painted with extra gore and blood and the edges are made to look uneven. (probably not easy to see in the screenshot). Unique gibs are fun to see when enemies explode up close while doing a stealth backstab. The real problem is that all of the original head models are 25-50% too larger (id design so they can be seen) and that does look odd!

My favourite gibs are certainly the weapons, I even repainted some of the original Quake monster weapons, but got the texture resolution wrong! doh!
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

scale them down =)
qbism

Post by qbism »

Berserker Q2 has a similar feature called 'personal gibs'. Metalic parts play a 'clink' sound when they hit the floor. That would be a nice touch if feasible.
sock

Post by sock »

All votes are welcome - http://www.moddb.com/mods/its
Thanks
jitspoe

Post by jitspoe »

Voted.

Don't know how I missed that there was a playable version of this. I just played a little bit, and I have to say I really love the little details, like how the swords drop on the ground with a satisfying "Clank!". Also, After looking at your web site, I see you were the one who made that awesome looking Q3 map (Pyramid of the Magician). Explains a lot. :)
sock

Post by sock »

@jitspoe, thanks. The next version has a ton more sounds to make the maps feel more alive. I should really create a gib arm with the monster still holding the sword! :mrgreen:
qbism

Post by qbism »

Voted. Would suggest updating the moddb page with that beautiful new night-time pic.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Just voted. And yeah, slap some new screenshots in the front page for extra p1mpage. Good luck, sock!
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

i also voted =)