Quake MOD - In The Shadows

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
sock

Quake MOD - In The Shadows

Post by sock »

I have been lurking at this forums for a while now, reading all the various tutorials and searching for nuggets of information to do with QC. I normally post my personal projects on func_Msgboard, but I get the impression that the Quake community seems to be all over the place so I thought it might a good idea to post here as well. So if this the wrong place for my thread, please move it to the right place because I did not find any WIP category on the board index. Anyway, here is some information on the Quake MOD I am working on, any feedback is welcome at this point as it is at the early stages of development.

In the Shadows

Have you ever wanted to sneak around the Quake universe, pick the right moment to bypass the guards and steal all of the loot? This modification for quake will allow you the player to become invisible at a certain range and then plan your way through various locations using new stealth gameplay. The MOD will follow the story of Lord Aramis, the champion of the people and sadly the betrayer of the Kingdom as you discover what price he paid for his lust of power. Featuring many new monsters, improved AI path finding and plenty of uniquely textured locations, this MOD hopes to let players experience stealth combat in a different light.

The Quake Modification "In the Shadows" will feature new and updated monsters, a large amount of art assets and a funky new combat system, stealth! Yes I know, probably an unusual combination, slow paced strategic combat layered on top of a fast paced classic run, gun and shoot fps! It certainly is a strange idea, but it is something I have wanted to experiment with for some time due to my crazy obsession with the Thief series and all things sneaky like.

Here is a link to a youtube video showing the basic tutorial section of the first map, "Temple of Swords"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YArCZDpkcSA

The Stealth system is defined by three types of combat, assassination, avoidance and chaos. Each style present the player with a different set of rewards that range from easy assassinations to the ultimate form of stealth, completing a level without inflicting any physical damage. As always with stealth combat, how the player wants to approached a level is totally their choice and most routes in the new maps with the MOD will support all three types.

Some parts of the world are designed for certain types of combat and by far the most difficult to master is avoidance, the art of passing through a location without being detected and not using any physical violence. As each area is navigated the risk to the player gets worse because previous rooms and corridors are full of patrolling guards who will not think twice about hunting down the player across long distances. The special stealth alcoves offer the player the chance to hide without being detected but these places are not perfectly secure and will be discovered during combat or if the guards are hunting for the player close by.

The poison bolt is the wild card in the pack, it makes the guards randomly attack another guard nearby and this can produce some very chaotic results. It certainly offers the most mischievous fun with lots of opportunities for the classic Quake infighting, but it also can be dangerous with the chance of being detected greatly increased.

The art of distraction can offer many challenges like how close the bolt needs to be before a guard will notice, to the fact that walking patrols ignore all distraction until they are stationary. Distractions do not last forever and each guard will eventually turn back to what they were doing before which can be tricky if trying to influence a large group. One useful trick is to use the distraction bolt to the back of the guard, which makes them move and investigate. This is a perfect opportunity to sneak past while the guard is busy cutting the air in the hope of finding something lurking in the shadows.

Here is a link to a youtube video showing the new stealth combat in the first map, "Temple of Swords"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRrW9c3TpXA

If you want more information or are interested in following the MOD more closely I have setup a page on my website http://www.simonoc.com/pages/design/sp/its.htm if you want further information. As always, feedback is welcome and any questions you may have please leave in the comments below.
Well he was evil, but he did build a lot of roads. - Gogglor
raynorpat

Re: Quake MOD - In The Shadows

Post by raynorpat »

that screenshot looks amazingly good... :shock:
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Darkplaces has a getlight function. Are you using that to determine visibility?
i should not be here
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Very impressive gameplay :shock: Also, the map looks gorgeous. Great job!
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

leilei - Judging by the videos the stealth is via a magical amulet that lets you get away with more than normal, so it isn't so much shadow skulking as it is resource management within an adjusted rule set.

sock - This looks VERY nice, the gameplay looks different enough to be refreshing, and the brushwork is classy. It has a Hexen 2 feel, but better and resides somewhere between it and the more defined elements of Quake. I think I'm going to promote this post on the Quake Facebook page.

But seriously I think some of your shots might make it to my work machine's wallpaper rotation.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Never mind, looks like Spirit, DaZ, or Chip already linked your moddb page for it =)

leilei - Also I think he is targeting a broader engine range, I know sock had been looking at Quakespasm's use of centerprint, trying to maintain compatibility.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
sock

Post by sock »

leileilol wrote:Darkplaces has a getlight function. Are you using that to determine visibility?
The MOD is 100% Original ID QC script, I don't use any special feature of darkplaces. I do use the centerprint overflow feature of Fitz engines but that is not essential to playing the maps, it is used for the story books which are extra to the gameplay. The stealth system is a sight check done by all monsters towards the player. The stealth eye shows the angle the player is relative to the player. The monster sight is split into 3 zones, if 0 degree's is forward for the monsters, front (315-45 degree's), left/right (225-315 and 45-135 degree's) side and the back (135-225 degree's). The stealth system is a modified invisibility ability that if the player gets too close to monsters will be noticed. The player is not restricted to dark shadows but has to be aware of range and location relative to monsters in order to stay in stealth mode.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

:shock: OMG sock, very beautiful map! Compliments! But, Are you the one from simonoc site? I love your site, it has so many interesting articles and wonderful maps, you're so talented! I learned blending shaders from you! :D
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
RenegadeC

Post by RenegadeC »

I'll have to give this one a whirl being a fan of stealth based games, reminds me of Stealth Quake a little bit too :)
sock

Post by sock »

@toneddu2000, yep http://www.simonoc.com is my site, I am glad you found some of my tutorials useful, terrain blending is a lot of fun to play with.
@RenegadeC, I had a look at stealth quake a while ago and found it really awkward to use. It did not have any special instructions or unique maps to highlight the game play mechanics. I hope to make the experience with this mod more initiative and easier to understand. I certainly don't plan to do hand holding of all game mechanics, but I do want to reduce initial frustration by explaining through gameplay examples what to expect in the beginning.

Here is some screenshots from a new AI test map called "Stealth Gate". I am sure most people will recognize the map!

CocoT

Post by CocoT »

Looking amazing! :)
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
RenegadeC

Post by RenegadeC »

sock wrote:@toneddu2000, yep http://www.simonoc.com is my site, I am glad you found some of my tutorials useful, terrain blending is a lot of fun to play with.
@RenegadeC, I had a look at stealth quake a while ago and found it really awkward to use. It did not have any special instructions or unique maps to highlight the game play mechanics. I hope to make the experience with this mod more initiative and easier to understand. I certainly don't plan to do hand holding of all game mechanics, but I do want to reduce initial frustration by explaining through gameplay examples what to expect in the beginning.

Here is some screenshots from a new AI test map called "Stealth Gate". I am sure most people will recognize the map!
Those shots look excellent. The idea of using an amulet was clever also, I made Stealth Quake all about being in the dark.
I wish I built a stealth meter in SQ but I didn't really have enough time, plus it was all based off the monsters vision; it's downfall was lack of gameplay examples
unless you had someone there to show you how it works or doing a shitload of readme.txt viewing, but once you get the hang of it then it's quite simple to figure out.
Yours manages to hit every mark, especially concerning if monsters are able to see you/hear you via those cool moving icons :)
sock

Post by sock »

Here is some screenshots from another AI test map called "Castle of Shadows". I am sure most people will recognize the map!

ajay

Post by ajay »

They look amazing, so impressive., totally blown away.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

looks freaking nice! although id personally remove the "monster" monsters... i for some reason dont feel like it matches your mod. id like to see more medieval looking enemies in there. your new monsters really help with the atmosphere in your maps.