Making a standalone project but need some info

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
goldenboy

Re: Making a standalone project but need some info

Post by goldenboy »

You'll need the SVN version of FTEQW for FBSP support anyway.

http://www.fteqw.com/ftedownloads/30-do ... -maintrunk

I use it, it runs very large FBSP maps, and the lightstyles work well enough for me... and I also have old hardware (Geforce 6 series). FTE performs similar to QFusion (while Darkplaces runs a lot slower on my rig). FBSP also has higher resolution lightmaps than normal Q3bsp or rbsp. It simply looks better. I reported on my recent FBSP experiments at my blog.

Regarding the latest stable QFusion, are you really going to use a three year old engine instead of the very recent Warsow version? Much the same goes for MD3 vs IQM :)
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

goldenboy wrote:You'll need the SVN version of FTEQW for FBSP support anyway.

http://www.fteqw.com/ftedownloads/30-do ... -maintrunk
Got it, tried it. AWESOME. :D Did a little benchmarking on my dev laptop, tried it with arcanum's first map (this map's starting area utterly destroys fitzquake mark 5's fps on this same computer BTW), ran like a champ. Decided to drop ravendelux.pk3 into the testing mod folder. Plug and play. Tried q3dm1 with it (extracted from my q3a install), also ran right off. :D

Also tried rotmirror5.pk3 with it, didn't work because of the lack of certain entities obviously. (Wonder if it would work with the right entities?)

Also tried it on a Rage 128 M3 laptop, OpenGL render crashes. D3D9 works, but with some significant graphic anomalies. (thus, OGL with Mobility Radeon 7500 appears to be the minimum for my project.)

In all honesty, this utterly destroyed DP in terms of out-of-the-box speed and functionality.
goldenboy wrote: I use it, it runs very large FBSP maps, and the lightstyles work well enough for me... and I also have old hardware (Geforce 6 series). FTE performs similar to QFusion (while Darkplaces runs a lot slower on my rig). FBSP also has higher resolution lightmaps than normal Q3bsp or rbsp. It simply looks better. I reported on my recent FBSP experiments at my blog.

Regarding the latest stable QFusion, are you really going to use a three year old engine instead of the very recent Warsow version? Much the same goes for MD3 vs IQM :)
Heh, not anymore I'm not. :wink:

Thanks again for the link to the SVN version. :D

Now I just need to study up on CSQC, Shaders, Radiant, and q3map2...

Edit: Just noticed a small flaw on ravendelux, dlights (such as rockets) don't appear to work. Maybe a shader is needed instead?

Edit2: Just checked your blog out. Some seriously cool stuff going on there. :)
qbism

Post by qbism »

Adding back monsters to qfusion was an old quakesrc thread, which I maybe saved somewhere, but sounds like you're on track w/ FTE
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

DRS; Spike said q1 dynamic lights don't work in q3bsp.

One can use r_shadow_realtime_dlight 1 as a workaround (shadowless realtime dlights eat relatively little performance), but I agree there is room for improvement there. They could perhaps be tweaked.

And yeah, FTE's renderer is speedy. That's not to say DP isn't a great engine (I'm repeating myself here), but with large singleplayer maps I also notice FTE is just faster.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Q3Map2

Here's the q3map2 page.

Here's the build commands I use;

~/netradiant-1.5.0-20110429/install/q3map2.x86 -game qfusion -fs_basepath /home/jonas/quake/ -fs_game scouts -v -meta $1.map

~/netradiant-1.5.0-20110429/install/q3map2.x86 -game qfusion -fs_basepath /home/jonas/quake/ -fs_game scouts -vis -v -saveprt $1.bsp

~/netradiant-1.5.0-20110429/install/q3map2.x86 -game qfusion -fs_basepath /home/jonas/quake/ -fs_game scouts -light -patchshadows -v -fast -samplesize 8 -samples 4 -extradist 50 -dirty -nolightmapsearch $1.bsp

Here's my sky / sunlight shader:

Code: Select all

textures/map01/bluesky
{
qer_editorimage gfx/env/heather_up.tga
q3map_lightimage gfx/env/heather_up.tga
surfaceparm nodlight
surfaceparm noimpact
surfaceparm nolightmap
surfaceparm nomarks
skyParms gfx/env/heather - -
q3map_sunExt 1 1 1 200 130 65 1 16
q3map_lightmapFilterRadius 0 16
q3map_skylight 100 6
}
Here's the water shader using FTE's glsl water:

Code: Select all

textures/liquids/ftewater
{
        qer_editorimage textures/map01/scuzzy_1.tga
        qer_trans .5
        q3map_globaltexture
        surfaceparm trans
        surfaceparm nonsolid
        surfaceparm water
        surfaceparm nolightmap
        //cull disable
        //deformVertexes wave 64 sin .25 .25 0 .5

{
                map $refraction
        }

{
                map textures/map01/scuzzy_1_norm.tga // norm
        }

{
                map $reflection
        }

//      {
//              map $ripplemap
//      }

//      {
//              map textures/map01/scuzzy_1.tga // diffuse
//      }

program altwater#REFLECT#FRESNEL=4 // 3,5
//      #RIPPLEMAP
}
The ripplemap is commented out because it eats a lot of performance. Cull disable makes the water surface 2-sided. Still working on the water.

A warning about glsl water; having the water shader in different planes / angles / heights (eg waterfalls...) kills performance because additional reflections need to be rendered. It pays off to have the shiny water only on main bodies of water and only on the top surface / at the same height per area. Different water heights etc. in different areas are OK as long as they're not in the PVS at the same time.

One major caveat: q3bsp seems to be much more fickle about vis blocking. You can use both Radiant's portal viewer plugin and r_wireframe 1 in FTE to check your vis blocking (the latter also needs sv_cheats 1 set). Here's a good tutorial about hint brushes:

http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3620

Almost forgot: You can use Q3Radiant 202 to convert Quake 1 .maps to Q3. It will convert the lights/entities as well. You will need to "find and replace" the textures in a converted map using Radiant. You'll also need to tweak the lighting. Make sure to not use "wait" on any of your lights, Q3map2 has trouble with that. Spotlights will need to use targets, not the angle/mangle method that works in Q1.

You will want to install common.shader from your Q3 install and copy the related editor images over so you can properly use them in Radiant.

Good luck.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

goldenboy wrote:DRS; Spike said q1 dynamic lights don't work in q3bsp.

One can use r_shadow_realtime_dlight 1 as a workaround (shadowless realtime dlights eat relatively little performance), but I agree there is room for improvement there. They could perhaps be tweaked.
Thanks for the tips, shaders, and links. The realtime dlights aren't perfect, but more than adequate for whats needed.

Been studying up on CSQC and looking at dpextensions.qc / fteextensions.qc. Having quite the blast blowing my own mind looking at all the stuff in there. :D (i.e. wait, you can even do that?!?)

Going to start working on the CSQC HUD soon.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Good luck with your project even though you have probably decided against using the Warsow engine (which is basically qfusion) :P