Game engines

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
SimplySerenity

Re: Game engines

Post by SimplySerenity »

leileilol is right, I've had a terrible experience with the source sdk. I downloaded it just to see what it was like, and it was fairly simple, but the first time i tried using it the sdk didn't work at all. So I had to browse the forums looking for a user submitted fix. After that the sdk ran, but was still buggy (more fixes). After a few hours I was able to make a simple map..
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

as far as I know kot-in-action never touched the engine code and they did a game, an expansion, and in the next months (hopefully) , another game!
Content pipeline in DarkPlaces engine is pretty straightforward: IQM to make character models, OBJ/ASE to props models. All of these directly output from Blender. No converter, no inbetween steps. Shaders to make things look better and you're done!
Only things I miss from UDK is a Kismet-like application (even for cut scene acting), a decent Physics System (ODE?! come ON...), a REAL menu system and particle editor.
But don't worry, just the time to learn C programming, and in maximum 40 years and I'll update DP myself!! :lol:
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
Jukki

Post by Jukki »

Yeah, kot did awesome job. We probaply stick with darkplaces becaue 1. blender 2. code that we know how to use 3. its better to start full time game project on something familiar than non familiar :P

Myabe next source :)
r00k

Post by r00k »

Maybe next UDK? Has iOS support. Tools look pretty good. But, why do most people who just wanna make a game think Skyrim clone? Cant game dev be something small and simple to make and hella fun to play??!
Maybe im just old from games in the 80s but gameplay was key. If you are just starting out, (teamwise) and want recognition do something soild and simple.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Indeed. Limit your scope; you do not have the luxury of having china outsourcing.
i should not be here
Baker

Post by Baker »

r00k wrote:Maybe next UDK? Has iOS support.
UDK only supports devices in a paid version, as far as I know. And I'm not claiming to know a lot about UDK, but I usually notice and think about licensing terms for things like UDK, Crysis, Source so I can remember why I think "freedom" is important (freedom = "not playing on someone's playground" ... which is not always something worth considering when making a game).
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
ajay

Post by ajay »

Tentatively on topic: has Darkplaces got BSP2 support now?
taniwha

Post by taniwha »

ajay: considering I found bsp2 related header file bugs (harmless other than to those reading the code), I'd say so :) (I used a combination of darkplaces and fte to figure out how to add bsp2 support to quakeforge).
Leave others their otherness.
http://quakeforge.net/
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

As far as I know, DP does have BSP2 support but you'll have to use hmap2 for compiling.
Baker

Post by Baker »

goldenboy wrote:As far as I know, DP does have BSP2 support but you'll have to use hmap2 for compiling.
That doesn't make any sense. How can the map compiler matter for a standardized binary format?
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

Due to the premature demise of RMQ, BSP2 never became standardised. The changes made to the DP implementation of it were supposed to become the standard.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

the nice thing about standards is that there's so many of them
i should not be here
Spike

Post by Spike »

if you've already got two versions of the loader, what harm is there in a third?...
other than that its annoying, that tools are not cross-compatible, users might get weird format unrecognised errors, and it being a waste of code, there's no harm in it... :P
leileilol wrote:the nice thing about standards is that there's so many of them
Fully agree!
Baker

Post by Baker »

leileilol wrote:the nice thing about standards is that there's so many of them
I see the +3 bonus already got claimed. :lol:

Ok, so BSP2 might not be BSP2 and an undocumented and only secretly known alternate BSP2 format exists which no one has ever mentioned.
Spike

Post by Spike »

the original 'BSP2' format is actually the '2PSB' format... and has shorts for the minmax values in the node+leaf lumps, while the later (actual) 'BSP2' format has floats there. there is no other difference.
The '2PSB' format should be left to rot, just need someone attached to the SCHISM project to update their tools+engine (likely requires recompiling the maps, so needs someone still attached to the project to authorise it etc).