UQE Ultimate Quake Engine ?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
ceriux

Re: UQE Ultimate Quake Engine ?

Post by ceriux »

that would be pretty awesome!
Seven

Post by Seven »

Hmmm,
But FTE can run Hexen2 (except one single bug that Spike explained several times).
And FTE can do pretty much everything that DP can do (if you are aiming at visual bells and whistles).
So there should be no need for DP.
If you still dont want to use FTE for Hexen2 but want to have visual extensions, I suggest to use
jeanks improved jshexen2 V1.21 engine. It comes close to DP and should satisfy your needs.
Regards,
Seven
Spike

Post by Spike »

if you can't port DP to hexen2, try porting hexen2 to DP? :)
I really wonder how plausable it would be...

fteqcc -Kthinktime should compile hexenc code to a format that DP can run. However, you'll still need to replace the defs.qc, the builtins, and (m)any extended writebytes. Many of the hexen2 'extensions' are available in some form in DP, though eg in the case of tracebox, the arguments are in a different order. You can use #define or just wrappers to fix those.

You could always just try running FTE as a server with DP as a client. FTE will strip out any network extensions the client doesn't support, but it should otherwise run, assuming you patch DP to accept h2 bsps first. If I remember correctly, a hack-fix is a 1-liner, just change the number of hulls for a v29 bsp to 8 instead of 4 and you should be able to at least view the maps. I've not tested how much will work beyond that as DP started locking up upon connect, a DP bug which I believe has now been fixed.
Either way, the real problem is the lack of bumpmaps+specular maps+rtlights files for hexen2, without those all you'd get is a few extra shadows and a 20th of the framerate.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Chicken egg problem.

I wanted to put lit support in Hexen II too, but how would I test that without lits?
i should not be here
Seven

Post by Seven »

leileilol wrote:Chicken egg problem.

I wanted to put lit support in Hexen II too, but how would I test that without lits?
Hexen2 .lit files are available for quite some time already.
As well as for mission pack 1.
Several Hexen2 engines support it.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Sevens right :) you can find some of them here http://jurajstyk.host.sk/

Some of the links are dead but the links for the lit tools are there so you can easily make a new set.
Productivity is a state of mind.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Hello,

Over at quakeone.com there is this huge "Hexen 2" thread, that started around 2.5 years ago.
http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-talk/o ... ssion.html

That thread moved Hexen 2 back into the focus of many people.
inkub0 and jeank created their world textures/model skins pack and developed jshexen2 engine much further.
Also Spike ironed many Hexen 2 bugfixes in FTE out during that time period.
Now inkub0 work on other projects and jeank has other things to do and the thread became silent.

For the interested people, I uploaded the Hexen 2 + mission pack .lit files that are available:
https://rapidshare.com/files/518775466/ ... _files.rar

jeank´s reworked H2 world textures and inkub0´s totally new High Res world textures are availabe for download in above linked thread,
as well as several model skins and the wonderful updated jshexen2 V1.21 engine.
Just for your information.

Have fun,
Seven
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

I've bought Hexen II in 1999, but never got past the windmill; It's one of the games I always forget to play.

I really gotta download those replacement packs and play it to the end.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Spike

Post by Spike »

aye, it can be a bit of a puzzle game rather than just a shooter... biggest pain is all the backtracking. a rail shooter it is not. There are walkthroughs if you get stuck, just try not to depend upon them because that can get really boring.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Thanks

Now I can try to port Engoo lit stuff to Hammer of Thyrion's software renderer!

As for Hexen II's gameplay issues I intend to work something about that in my dormant data project. Damage scale is one thing i've done, and I want to try to spawn 2x the monsters without clipping into walls...
i should not be here
Seven

Post by Seven »

leileilol wrote:... and I want to try to spawn 2x the monsters without clipping into walls...
Hello leileilol,

I am aware that your coding skills are far beyond mine, but due to the fact that I am also working on this exact same topic at the moment, I would like to mention the SSQC way to do this:

If you look into the source of Quake mission pack 1 you will find HIPGREM.QC.
There is this little gem: Gremlin_Split ()
This does exactly it:
- scanning for a free place around the monster
- calling a monster and position it
- declare stuff like angles, self.enemy, update STAT_TOTALMONSTERS, ...

If you call this in each monster spawn (beginning of a map), you will have 2x the monsters.
Of course only if there is enough room for both inside your scanned radius.

I am currently trying to implement this into Quake.

Sorry, if this is old news for you. I only wanted to mention it...

Best regards,
Seven
Spike

Post by Spike »

hexen2 has tracebox as a basic feature so you can easily check if a spot is empty before finalising whatever monster you're trying to spawn there.