Ace12GA Quake 1; Alpha/Beta release

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Ace12GA

Ace12GA Quake 1; Alpha/Beta release

Post by Ace12GA »

I have not been active in modding in some time, years really. After seeing some of the indie games being built on Quake engine tech, it brought me back, and I ended up here. I have put a bunch of time resurrecting an old mod of mine, and here it is, in a state I feel is beta quality. Its not a serious ground breaking mod, it doesn't really do anything new, but it is fun I think. And more importantly, I have had a really good time rebuilding this old mod, and putting some more modern game assets into it.

ImageImage

This is a weapons and game play mod. It replaces all of the original weapons with my own. The usual stuff, pistols, sub machine guns, etc... The game play changes are in how monsters are balanced against the new weapons. More importantly, certain monsters will spawn in random locations in random numbers. This makes many of the original single player levels fresh again, as each time the monsters spawn in different locations and numbers. This is only applied to Soldiers, Enforcers, and Dogs currently. When I extended it to Ogres, etc.. it broke some single player maps that have scripted trigger events related to the monsters. The "Base" maps show this best.

ImageImage

It is a mod, not a stand alone, so you need original Q1 data files. It is built with several Darkplaces features, specifically around the models, so it requires Darkplaces engine to run.

http://evan.action-web.ca/misc/darkplac ... 120425.zip

It extracts to a folder, "action", that should be placed in your Quake directory, and launched like any other mod. This was originally an Action Quake 1 project in the late 90's that never got finished. I just kept the directory. Try to ignore that fact. ;)

ImageImage

The new models are all mine. Some of the model textures are mine, others (the good ones) are made by a gentleman I have worked with for years. I have included Romi's rtlights file in the zip. I have included a highres conchars from a 3rd party, that I want to credit, but can't find the authors name. I have included several open source sound files. I also included the source code in the spirit of contributing; I don't expect to spin off a commercial game here, so I would rather people can see how I have done things, regardless of how poorly, if they want to know how.

Constructive feedback welcome.
Last edited by Ace12GA on Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baker

Re: My Quake Mod, beta release.

Post by Baker »

Most people aren't going to try a mod where the maker doesn't post so much as a screenshot.

People expect screenshots. If you can't meet this unwritten expectation, most will assume whatever you have made also doesn't meet expectations.

Plus a project is expected to have a name. See above.

I'm just saying ...
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Ace12GA

Re: Ace12GA Quake 1; Alpha/Beta release

Post by Ace12GA »

Bleh a name... I suppose nondescript quake project is no good? I should have known better about the screen shots however. Thanks. Not that they show much, its more a game play thing than eye candy. I suppose the guns look cool.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Nice guns :) are those mdl or md3 ?
Productivity is a state of mind.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

I played until the end of e1m4 with this.

Promising mod, here's some feedback.

Some reload sounds aren't played
Assault rifle sound seemed weak (also what's with the low rate of fire? Perhaps introduce a single shot or 3-shot burst mode?)

I'd expect to be able to use iron sights - is this possible? How about red dot sights / scopes?
I'd also expect the ability to crouch, and enemies using cover (could be done via waypoints/ent files) - maybe also lean around corners

Some weapons look visually too similar to each other, making identification of what you're holding difficult (especially numbers 5 and 6)

Perspective / placement of some guns seemed weird (machine pistol), as if down wasn't down

I personally wouldn't angle them so extremely, as it contributes to the skewed appearance issue

I'd expect them to jam/misfire underwater (since you're already going for realism)

I'd like to be able to get headshots, I'm simply used to this in games that use modern weapons

Monster's weapons should do the same damage as the player's (generally too easy)

Otherwise I found this pretty fun to play. Needless to say, the mostly black colour and general appearance of the weapons doesn't mix too well with Quake's eldritch maps and monsters.

Flashlight?

Also, what exactly makes this require Darkplaces - I usually like to use other engines :|
Ace12GA

Post by Ace12GA »

goldenboy wrote:I played until the end of e1m4 with this.

Promising mod, here's some feedback.

Some reload sounds aren't played
No reload sounds are played. I am trying to figure out how to set them up still. I am using the dpm format for the models, and the playback of animations is called using framegroups. Optimally I would love for support in the format of being able to hook sounds into certain frames inside frame groups, like Half Life mdl's, however that is not supported. I am trying to avoid the two options I see. Using a single wav file with all sounds in order. Using traditional non framegroup animation code, where I step through each and every frame in code. The later option sucks because I have over 100 frames of animation in each model. The former option is okay, provided I don't change the frame playback rate, or the animation. Lets just say WIP on this.
goldenboy wrote:Assault rifle sound seemed weak (also what's with the low rate of fire? Perhaps introduce a single shot or 3-shot burst mode?)
I may remove this weapon all together, and replace it with a sniper like rifle, low ammo, low rate of fire, high damage. The lower rate of fire is to balance it in DM. I tried a rate of fire that was similar to the sub machine gun, and it was too powerful in DM. I have tried to balance each weapon relative to the others for DM play. Another option I am considering is altering the weapon stats for single player, and death match.
goldenboy wrote:I'd expect to be able to use iron sights - is this possible? How about red dot sights / scopes?
I'd also expect the ability to crouch, and enemies using cover (could be done via waypoints/ent files) - maybe also lean around corners
This is not really what I am going for. I am going for action movie realism, not Tom Clancy realism. I.e. fast action without all the bells and whistles. We have enough COD clones going around, certainly don't need another.
goldenboy wrote:Some weapons look visually too similar to each other, making identification of what you're holding difficult (especially numbers 5 and 6)
Agreed, 5 and 6 are based on the same model. The concept was an automatic shotgun and assault rifle from the same product line; which is what I tell myself. The textures on these two weapons are WIP, as in what you see currently is a base skin mesh output from the editor, with a simple splash of colour on top. The textures, when completed, will make these two guns much more different. I also intend on changing more of the mesh on the automatic shotgun to further differentiate the models.
goldenboy wrote:Perspective / placement of some guns seemed weird (machine pistol), as if down wasn't down

I personally wouldn't angle them so extremely, as it contributes to the skewed appearance issue

I'd expect them to jam/misfire underwater (since you're already going for realism)
See above, not really going to Tom Clancy realism, going to action movie realism.
goldenboy wrote:I'd like to be able to get headshots, I'm simply used to this in games that use modern weapons
Great idea, I intend to implement this.
goldenboy wrote:Monster's weapons should do the same damage as the player's (generally too easy)
Sometimes I forget not everyone is in their mid 30's with declining reflexes. ;) I have been playing with the numbers, and have it to a point where at hard I don't always make it through E1M1. Its much more challenging.
goldenboy wrote:Otherwise I found this pretty fun to play. Needless to say, the mostly black colour and general appearance of the weapons doesn't mix too well with Quake's eldritch maps and monsters.

Flashlight?

Also, what exactly makes this require Darkplaces - I usually like to use other engines :|
It requires Darkplaces because I made use of the Darkplaces dpm model format, and framegroups. Other engines don't support these great features that make adding new models and coding them into the game a pleasure, as opposed to painful.

Thanks for taking the time, and providing feedback. Its appreciated.
Ace12GA

Post by Ace12GA »

reckless wrote:Nice guns :) are those mdl or md3 ?
Thanks. They're dpm format; actually they started out as Half Life 2 mdl's, made for a different project but never used.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

I am actually in my mid 30s with declining reflexes :wink:
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

LOL.. Some of us are a wee bit older than mid 30's. :lol:
Ace12GA wrote: Sometimes I forget not everyone is in their mid 30's with declining reflexes. ;)
Ace12GA

Post by Ace12GA »

Hehe, well that's good to know.
ratbert

Post by ratbert »

goldenboy wrote:I am actually in my mid 30s with declining reflexes :wink:
Easy fix you need more quake fiber in your diet.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

xaGe wrote:LOL.. Some of us are a wee bit older than mid 30's. :lol:
Ace12GA wrote: Sometimes I forget not everyone is in their mid 30's with declining reflexes. ;)
Yeah... And a few of us are even closer to the mid 40's! Gasp! :P
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
ratbert

Post by ratbert »

frag.machine wrote:
xaGe wrote:LOL.. Some of us are a wee bit older than mid 30's. :lol:
Yeah... And a few of us are even closer to the mid 40's! Gasp! :P

Oh yeah.... And a few of us are even closer to the 50 this next month (aka May) Last Gasp???????????????????????
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

..Your never to old to reach out and FRAG someone! :lol: I don't have the time now as my younger self did for all things Quake, but I still enjoy it when I can and will continue to do so for a long time to come!

I like the mod as it is for an alpha. I always enjoy seeing new weapons, models, and darkplaces mods.