Winquake Ports

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
CocoT

Winquake Ports

Post by CocoT »

I feel there are probably a good amount of posts on those, but since I'm not sure I'm able to track them all down, I'll just ask the question directly, and maybe this thread can become a nice list to go back to: what are some cool Winquake ports? I'm looking for one that would be stable, support larger maps and add a few nifty graphic eye candies, if only just transparency. Suggestions? :)
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
leileilol

Re: Winquake Ports

Post by leileilol »

The current ones in dev that I know of are QbismSuper8 and Engoo

QbismSuper8's a Makaqu fork (which is a ToChriS fork) while Engoo is a QIP fork.

QbismSuper8 is more likely to run the more ambitious maps from the current mapping scene these days
Engoo's more of a homage engine, partially inspired by two other software engines that never released, and Zdoom
Both support colored lighting in different ways

GoldQuake was also an engine but it never had a compiled release and it's defunct.

FTEQW retired the software renderer a long time ago, it used to be the 'eyecandy software' engine but was quite unstable.
i should not be here
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

Thanks, Leileilol! That's very helpful :)
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

leileilol wrote:The current ones in dev that I know of are QbismSuper8 and Engoo

QbismSuper8's a Makaqu fork (which is a ToChriS fork) while Engoo is a QIP fork.
Makaqu is a WinQuake fork. Any ToChriS's code featured into it was imported later, just like the QIP and Darkplaces code that's into its codebase. For the same reason, I wouldn't say Makaqu is a fork of QIP or of Darkplaces either.

Makaqu development got frozen for over a year, so it will take a while for me to recover the pace.

I'm going to release a version 1.3.1 for the Dreamcast, containing just a bugfix for the analog stick, as soon as I test it. After that, I'm going to slowly work on version 1.5. But, yeah, I don't consider Makaqu to be back into active development already.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube