No Bugs Allowed Released.

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Dirge Inferno

Re: No Bugs Allowed Released.

Post by Dirge Inferno »

Can't even open a map.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

It probably detected your grumpiness and thought "meh, why bother". Joking aside, you were trying what? And what happened?
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Shpuld

Post by Shpuld »

Spirit: you got valid points, the release was pretty rushed, so I accidentally left some working files in there, and id1 has some gfx files from the shareware that were apparenly needed. I didn't have time to check what files exactly.

I didn't think anyone would try running this in DP or other engines, since I have a few engine mods in. These include additive sprites (from FitzKurok) and a bit of hud mods (namely the total ammo). I haven't yet uploaded the engine source anywhere, but a PM here or on ModDB and I'll be giving it immediatly.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Aww, I should have read the description before trying. Really cannot stand these wave games.

Impressive models!
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Just tried it using Fitzquake Plus v2 GCC as the exe that came with it won't work on win2k.

Not bad, though somewhat repetitive.

Noted bugs:
Falling through the floor
one or two bugs occasionally get stuck somehow
buying ammo consumes $100 and doesn't give you any ammo
buying health doesn't work

Semi-bug:
Grenade Launcher is too weak. Two - three for the big bugs I can understand, but two for the small yellow ones?!

Other thoughts:
You should have a weapon / ammo dispenser located in the other areas to improve the ability to get to a weapon dispenser between waves.

Small bugs really shouldn't get tougher, since the big purple ones serve that purpose pretty well. You might want to add some more bug variations, such as spitters, exploders, dividers, organic missilers, etc.

Consider arcade style bonus drops by bugs / random spawning. (i.e. +5 health vials / tasty bugmeat, cashbags / creditcards, ammoclips, etc.)

Consider changing the game / adding gamemodes other than just wave survival to keep it from becoming stale and mix it up. Potental ideas for other gamemodes:

1. Hostage rescue (with timebomb ala Alien Syndrome)
2. Nest Extermination (blow up all nests to slow / stop spawning and end the wave)
3. Setting the Base to Self Destruct (then run for extraction point metroid style)
4. Boss Fight!
5. All four of the above at the same time!
Shpuld

Post by Shpuld »

Thanks Dr. Shadowborg, that's some great feedback. The bugs you reported are already addressed, I'll take a look at the balance problems. I thought about the ammo dispenser idea before, I'll probably add it. Bonus drops are a good idea too. About the gamemodes, I think the self-destruct escape is a really neat idea.
Dirge Inferno

Post by Dirge Inferno »

Spirit wrote:It probably detected your grumpiness and thought "meh, why bother". Joking aside, you were trying what? And what happened?
It says that the map didn't exist, and when I looked into the pak file there were no maps.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Dirge Inferno wrote:
Spirit wrote:It probably detected your grumpiness and thought "meh, why bother". Joking aside, you were trying what? And what happened?
It says that the map didn't exist, and when I looked into the pak file there were no maps.
...Did you try running the exe with "-game nba"? :wink:
Dirge Inferno

Post by Dirge Inferno »

My bad, it works. But for some reason I'm falling through the ground.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

new update on this ! no more bugs, like falling through the ground or being robbed of your money by the vendor.
new feature - randomized drops and two new maps. the source for the mod has also been released!

http://www.moddb.com/games/no-bugs-allowed