OpenArena 3.x

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
leileilol

OpenArena 3.x

Post by leileilol »

This is what i've been trying to work on with very little feedback

it's a content reboot so it doesn't technically/visually suck, sounds are getting rebooted as well. It's also rebooting so it can look different while maintaining original function since product confusion is something I want to avoid... but i'll promise there will be no zombie trees and no uncanny weapon replacements like lightning cobras, glocks and uzis that fire nails and a knife that can do "ax-murder" (should be easy staying away from doom/quake stuff too - i'm going to even avoid depictions of skeletons, skulls, pentagrams, baphomets, random wall jesuses, etc.)

early models but they drive the point home

This isn't a joke. The anime style april fools joke was already done in 2007. I learned the hard way it should've been done for real.
My target minimal PC requirements aren't a joke either:

AMD K6-III 550MHz....... or Intel Pentium II 233MHz
4MB video card (even vaguer - i'll try to support NOT OpenGL compliant hardware and implement even more (pointless?) legacy fallbacks - in addition, preparing the content for crap hardware also prepares it for a potential software renderer)
Windows 98 + KernelEx or Windows 2000 (due to PSAPI.DLL and home path dependency)
i should not be here
ceriux

Re: OpenArena 3.x

Post by ceriux »

i actually like the style, im not a big anime fan, but i could see a cool looking arena game coming out of it.
hogsy

Post by hogsy »

Indeed, I quite like the style and it's certainly a change from those dark and gritty style games we often see today.
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

leileilol wrote:product confusion is something I want to avoid...
You could call it something like "OpenArena 2012".
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
qbism

Post by qbism »

Anime action is exaggerated with more expression than most q3 models. Q2 had a few good examples, taking advantage of the longer animations, especially "standing". Brian Collins created some classic examples like Yokho and Forgotten One.

Recent high-quality anime q2 model - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKgK6vW3Rr8
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

ah yes evilbastard, though his work is more on the creepy side. LOOK AT YOHKO'S BUG EYES

My reason for anime style is that it'll make everyone's proportions meet "keel-size" so no one needs to forcemodel. The audience is pro-inundated and as a result, OA doesn't look like OA but flourescent glow in the dark flat colors :/ I'm hoping to fight against the encouragement of that by being visible and representably attractive from the get-go

and by the way, i'm not trying to be warsow. who'd want to anyway

I might try a method of special optional celshading via GLSL through lighting rather than postprocess or edges. I prototyped a shader method in darkplaces years ago which relied on a deferred lighting model.
i should not be here
r00k

Post by r00k »

I thought warsow just expanded the modelsize, culled it with the actual model leaving the outter edge visible. But then celshading and outline edges are two totally different things.
(maybe thats what they did only for map surfaces)...ill try to find my reference on their forum.

ioquake has a http://ioquake3.org/patchez/celshad3.patchplugin on their page of non added features.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

That patch is just smudging textures. Very ugly and i'd rather load craftfully paletted PCX for cel diffuse anyway. Not what I want.

I don't want to do thick outlines and extra geometry. Messy MD3. Not what I want.

I don't want to postprocess and do ugly edge detection. Outlined flashes. Not what I want.

I don't want to stick an environment map on a model and call it shading. Glowing models. Not what I want.

The technique i'm thinking of is more akin to TF2's extreme phong exponent style in a similar fashion, except it would also produce outlines from tight normal edges. This would require use of a normal map for effective usage
i should not be here