Inside3D Registration Closed

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Baker

Inside3D Registration Closed

Post by Baker »

There are about 6 different people at QuakeOne.com with modding questions that I would like to have registered over here (because first this is the right place and second all the info and expertise is here).

But "registration is closed" ...

:(

One example is this guy: http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-help/g ... -mode.html Kind of neat seeing Engoo solving his problems. But he have place model entity questions too: http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-help/g ... ntity.html
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Re: Inside3D Registration Closed

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

I've re-enabled registrations temporarily. If spambots start flooding in (and they probably will), the registration lock goes back on.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

Baker: please let them know that we regret having to do it. You may try to point them to the irc chat. scar3crow, Randy (mostly Randy), and I are working on a permanent fix currently.

Indeed, if the spambots start to flood us again, it will be shut down.

Sorry for any inconvenience these actions may cause.
negke

Post by negke »

Have you considered using more "sophisticated" text captures like in the Steam forums (search form), for example? They seem to work quite well.
Perhaps even two or three at once - after all, this would be only a one-time hassle during registration.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Baker, do let me know if at all possible when they've registered as it would seem that the spambot are coming. (out of 11 new registrations, only 2 appear to be real people.)

Too bad there isn't a way to set up a registration system where members could send an invite to join or something...

And as a side note, Congratulations to our two newest members, MadnessBoy and fan_q1. (at least I hope they're real and not spambots. :P )
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

Which phpBB version is being used? I'm pretty sure there's a mod for invite-only registration. And you guys can always implement recaptcha in the registration.
Irritant

Post by Irritant »

Are you sure it's actually spambots and not Chinese "telemarketers"? That seems to be a growing trend around the net...
http://red.planetarena.org - Alien Arena and the CRX engine
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

russian spambot arrived.
i should not be here
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

In Russia, Spambot runs rampant. In Soviet America, Cyborg bans YOU!

...Or something like that. :P

Anyway, Sgt. Baker get those survivors rounded up and in the bunker pronto! The Spammomorphs are closing in. :wink: :P :wink:
Baker

Post by Baker »

I think anyone who was going to take advantage of the registration being open did so.

So I guess shut it back down.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

I'll leave it open until tomorrow morning.

After that, I guess I could do scheduled open registration windows once a week or something until a proper solution is found. April 7th through to April 8th 8:00PM MST for the next window sound okay?
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

New Registrations are currently closed. Please refer to the "Inside3D Open Registration schedule" thread in announcments for the next open registration window.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

We had recaptcha on there..
Jukki

Post by Jukki »

Wasnt recaptchs cracked loooooong time ago? I think i even mentioned about it. :P
Spike

Post by Spike »

even if they are cracked (yay ai!), at least not all spam bots will support it. especially if you name the buttons 'wrongly'.