Leaked screenshots from Doom 4

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
hogsy

Re: Leaked screenshots from Doom 4

Post by hogsy »

frag.machine wrote:Mostly because there's a Doom 3 billboard at the top of a building in one of the images, which discards any chance of Doom 4 leaked screenshots.
Could easily be a placeholder or anything honestly.
Looking at these more closely it's notable that the detail is a huge step up compared to Rage which is certainly very interesting.

Also I have to say... Rage 2 anyone? :lol:
I'm obviously joking, that would be horrible if they pulled that stunt but if this really is Doom 4 then it's certainly taking a very different direction to what I expected.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Maybe. I don't know.

And now, more shots popped at Kotaku. Again, is hard to tell if there's any resemblance with Doom. Looks too generic FPS to me.

EDIT: Just downloaded and examined all the images. None ever show something that could even remotely resemble Doom. Smells like material for an aborted Rage DLC, maybe set after the cataclysm that destroyed the civilization but before the main game age.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

..This could be pictures of anything and even if its something from a Doom game wip, its VERY early in development and could or has changed dramatically! So nothing to see here really. I'll wait until a final product is shown or released, "When its ready!". :|
Dirge Inferno

Post by Dirge Inferno »

leileilol wrote:Now I know who you are. You're that beta-is-better hipster kid who got banned from betaarchive for demanding unreleased betas that never leaked, assuming it was leaked because there's early promotional videos or screenshots.

Adrian Carmack left id years ago. The horrible cliche'd satanism that you love so much isn't coming back to id.
What are you talking about? I've never been apart of a "betaarchive" site and lol, no I had an opinion on one of your now private videos that you blocked me for (that wasn't the video), then removed the comment so you couldn't be embarrassed. You don't deserve to be a game developer, you don't deserve to have the talents if you're not going to let people have an opinion on them. Grow up, people are going to either going to like or hate certain things you make. If you can't live with that you might as well stop being a game developer all together. You're just like this:
[guy]: don't like it that much
leileilol: OH URR BLOCKED FOR TAT!!
[guy]: but... wait it was just an.. op.... *blocked*

If you don't want people to have an opinion then don't show them! Common sense right?

EDIT: beta-is-better hipster kid? I sense a flame war starting soon, I don't know what drugs you're on and where you got that idea but no, I don't think betas are better nor am I a hipster kid. Please do your research, most betas are glitchy as hell like the Crysis 2 leaked beta.
Last edited by Dirge Inferno on Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dirge Inferno

Post by Dirge Inferno »

mh wrote:I'm reasonably certain that we're dealing with Grim Warlock from QuakeOne.com here, who - prepare for the revelation of the century (which century? all of them!) - doesn't like Rage.

Guess what? Not liking Rage is cool. It's OK. There's seriously nothing wrong with it. It's personal taste, it's one's own opinion. You don't like something, you get over it and move on. That's what adults do.

Going on a number of different forums and posting endlessly and repetitively about how Doom 4 is going to suck before there's even been any official confirmation of what the game is going to be like (and having a track record of doing the same thing in other threads about other topics) - that's not cool. Claiming - as Grim did elsewhere - that the game didn't have any monsters because there were no monsters in the screenshots (which might not even be from the game), then desperately trying to back down from it with a "well it might not have monsters, we don't know yet, and anyway I still hate it" tack - that's, well, that's just pathetic. That just makes you come across as an Internet Hate Kid.

Got news for you Grim. All the cool and hip PC kids have moved on from hating Rage ages ago. Rage is old news, it's just so 2011. They're hating other games now, and it's only stragglers picking up the ends of their leavings from trash cans that are left.
Haha, you do realize I've only finished the game a few weeks ago due the amount of glitches. I never said there were not monsters in the game, I said there weren't any in the shots. And the last post I made was actually sarcastic, clearly you couldn't tell. And again, it's being developed by the same team so chances are I'll hate it.
ajay

Post by ajay »

Maybe they're setting it on earth; all the Doom monsters have found a way of getting here and we've been invaded and taken over. The world is now ravaged and you play as a lone (ish) human trying to survive while avoiding what remains of a zombified or isolated humanity and the Doom monsters that frequently return to earth, via some kind of, I don't know, lets say "gate", to mop up the dregs that are left. You also could have a general mission to follow to explain why you don't just sit in a "cellar" and wait for death, again I don't know, something like looking for your missing son. Its' a slice of fried gold, honestly.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Dirge Inferno wrote: What are you talking about? I've never been apart of a "betaarchive" site
I'm sure hogsy knows.
i should not be here
Dirge Inferno

Post by Dirge Inferno »

revelator

Post by revelator »

from what could snap up at id it is going to be on earth.
i ran rage through a couple of times no problems (well texture popping but thats because my gfx card doesnt have enough texture mem, luckily its minor and i could just lower settings hehe) though i heard ATI cards had some trouble with it (driver related causing blue textures ouch).
Productivity is a state of mind.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

ajay wrote:Maybe they're setting it on earth; all the monsters have found a way of getting here and we've been invaded and taken over. The world is now ravaged and you play as a lone (ish) human trying to survive while avoiding what remains of a zombified or isolated humanity
Nah... There's already a guy working in a great Quake mod using this plot... ;)

Seriously, now: even in the case of "Hell on Earth", I would expect to see a mix of mundane Earth stuff (buildings, streets, cars) mixed with satanic things - pentagrams drawn in blood and people guts everywhere, for a start. Doom 3 had it in the possessed areas of the Mars base, why we don't see nothing remotely resemblant of that ? The only hint of something abnormal are the "nests" screenshots which, frankly, fit much better in a SF theme (that's why I said in some areas I remembered the infested areas in Prototype - but I don't mean those are shots from the next installment of this game).
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

I saw a McDonalds logo in one of the buildings. Now I want Ronald McDemon as the final boss.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Reading from what people describe of the leak, the screenshots are probably clean, portfolio-aimed material from one environmental artist. It's possible in their pipeline that an experienced ORGANIC HELL ARTIST would give it a HELL CORRUPT pass afterward.

All in all I wouldn't judge a game from this leak. I know for certain it isn't RAGE though, Rage would be bleak, orange, and more ruined, and I have the feeling that they're done with that game as far as DLC goes.
i should not be here
Irritant

Post by Irritant »

mh wrote:Got news for you Grim. All the cool and hip PC kids have moved on from hating Rage ages ago. Rage is old news, it's just so 2011. They're hating other games now, and it's only stragglers picking up the ends of their leavings from trash cans that are left.
This really sums up today's gaming culture. Well put sir!
http://red.planetarena.org - Alien Arena and the CRX engine
Baker

Post by Baker »

If there wasn't the consistent activity in this thread, I don't think I would have read it and been thinking about Doom 4.

I'm thinking certain kinds of speculation and opinions, even if negative can be good for a game. Sure beats being ignored.

And people form their own opinions anyway.

I'm not saying negativity is "good" or that there isn't destructive negativity, but I don't think having opinions based on personal experience disappointments is always a bad thing. (If it keeps going and going and going and going, well sure ..)
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

leileilol wrote:Reading from what people describe of the leak, the screenshots are probably clean, portfolio-aimed material from one environmental artist. It's possible in their pipeline that an experienced ORGANIC HELL ARTIST would give it a HELL CORRUPT pass afterward.
:lol:

Well put.

I do think it is Doom 4, btw.