Leaked screenshots from Doom 4

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Dirge Inferno

Leaked screenshots from Doom 4

Post by Dirge Inferno »

Someone has leaked some screenshots from Doom 4.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKRw-qA7Mpw
revelator

Re: Leaked screenshots from Doom 4

Post by revelator »

hmm no monsters in those screenies :/ looks interresting though bit half-life 2'esq
Productivity is a state of mind.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

I like to resist the temptation of getting spoiled and just not look at anything Doom 4 related at all until it's out.

Besides, it's leaked, and id didn't intend for you to look at it either.

It was leaked in early-to-mid-January but some retarded gaming press site found it late, and went full on covering it (4 teh views) and now it's wildfire.
i should not be here
Dirge Inferno

Post by Dirge Inferno »

Well it's leaked, you can't stop us from seeing it. Besides, it looks shit. It looks like another Rage, which in my opinion was bad. I miss the hellish theme. So if you don't want to see it you're not missing much either way.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Trying hard to push views to your Youtube?
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Have anybody seen my jaw?
It should be fallen under the table just after seeing that video....

Thanks a lot for sharing!
When I played Doom2 for the first time (I don't know which year was - maybe '95/96) I always thought if, one day, id software could have recreated the perfect "Hell on earth" with real graphics instead of only giant cubish biuldings sorrounded by a lava river. Now I know the answer! :)
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
Dirge Inferno

Post by Dirge Inferno »

Spirit wrote:Trying hard to push views to your Youtube?
I use to have a lot of attention until the trolls came.
toneddu2000 wrote:Have anybody seen my jaw?
It should be fallen under the table just after seeing that video....

Thanks a lot for sharing!
When I played Doom2 for the first time (I don't know which year was - maybe '95/96) I always thought if, one day, id software could have recreated the perfect "Hell on earth" with real graphics instead of only giant cubish biuldings sorrounded by a lava river. Now I know the answer! :)
You're welcome!
mh

Post by mh »

Dirge Inferno wrote:Besides, it looks shit. It looks like another Rage, which in my opinion was bad. I miss the hellish theme. So if you don't want to see it you're not missing much either way.
Woah there cowboy, how about canning the hatred and negativity for a minute or two, eh? You can't form any kind of opinion on the full contents of a game from a mere 16-odd (unconfirmed) screenshots, and trying to do so is just plain daft. Or maybe you just want to hate it?

I mean, if someone had shown you 16 screenshots of e4m1 back in 1995 would have thought that Quake was just a base map game with mutated humans and dogs? On your track record in this thread you probably would.

Plausible theories in order of most likely to least likely:
  • They're fake; the whole thing is a scam.
  • They're from a Rage expansion pack.
  • They're real but from an intro video or intro map.
  • They're real but from the "Earth" parts of the game; the "Hell" parts haven't been seen yet.
  • They're real and the whole game is like that.
  • They're actually from Quake 5 which will be a military shooter sim set during an unnamed Middle East conflict in 20 years time, featuring 640x480 sized ironsights and ultra-linear gameplay, together with Steam achievements and all the other modern shooter gubbins.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
revelator

Post by revelator »

tbh i dont find rage horrible it does have some flaws ok like static sky (guess its a limitation of megatexture) but the gameplay is quite ok :) while not being quakish.
only thing im sortof missing is how the story "really ends" but i guess that will come at some point as dlc.
Dirge Inferno

Post by Dirge Inferno »

mh wrote:Woah there cowboy, how about canning the hatred and negativity for a minute or two, eh? You can't form any kind of opinion on the full contents of a game from a mere 16-odd (unconfirmed) screenshots, and trying to do so is just plain daft. Or maybe you just want to hate it?
I'm not going to repeat what's already been spoken.
mh wrote:I mean, if someone had shown you 16 screenshots of e4m1 back in 1995 would have thought that Quake was just a base map game with mutated humans and dogs? On your track record in this thread you probably would.

Plausible theories in order of most likely to least likely:
  • They're fake; the whole thing is a scam.
  • They're from a Rage expansion pack.
  • They're real but from an intro video or intro map.
  • They're real but from the "Earth" parts of the game; the "Hell" parts haven't been seen yet.
  • They're real and the whole game is like that.
  • They're actually from Quake 5 which will be a military shooter sim set during an unnamed Middle East conflict in 20 years time, featuring 640x480 sized ironsights and ultra-linear gameplay, together with Steam achievements and all the other modern shooter gubbins.
I hated Rage, Doom 4 is being developed by the same team and chances are it'll likely suck like Rage did. And if it was Quake 5 then that'd only make things worse. Also you should search for the characters that were leaked, they look worse than the level shots.
Stroggos

Post by Stroggos »

Take it down a notch sport. As mh said you can't have an entire opinion of a game based on screenshots. I'd have to say judging by the look of these levels they're some sort of alpha test, if they're even real, because it just doesn't have the same level of polish as the rest of id's games, say what you like about Rage but it was neat and it was polished. A give away would be look at the buildings, particularly in screenshot 5 (I could be wrong I'm looking at Kotaku), that building that is being dissolved looks an awful lot like the buildings in the Dead City...
Last edited by Stroggos on Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
revelator

Post by revelator »

if you hate it you hate it but chances are many will enjoy it newer the less :) also things might change a lot its not released yet ;)
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

The actual screenshots are dated 2008 to 2010, so they're already old
Dirge Inferno wrote:I use to have a lot of attention until the trolls came.
Now I know who you are. You're that beta-is-better hipster kid who got banned from betaarchive for demanding unreleased betas that never leaked, assuming it was leaked because there's early promotional videos or screenshots.

Adrian Carmack left id years ago. The horrible cliche'd satanism that you love so much isn't coming back to id.
i should not be here
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Looks like a (possibly cancelled ?) Rage DLC to me. Mostly because there's a Doom 3 billboard at the top of a building in one of the images, which discards any chance of Doom 4 leaked screenshots.

Actually, the settings and the reddish fog in some shots reminds me of some Prototype locations where the Blackwatch virus took control.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
mh

Post by mh »

I'm reasonably certain that we're dealing with Grim Warlock from QuakeOne.com here, who - prepare for the revelation of the century (which century? all of them!) - doesn't like Rage.

Guess what? Not liking Rage is cool. It's OK. There's seriously nothing wrong with it. It's personal taste, it's one's own opinion. You don't like something, you get over it and move on. That's what adults do.

Going on a number of different forums and posting endlessly and repetitively about how Doom 4 is going to suck before there's even been any official confirmation of what the game is going to be like (and having a track record of doing the same thing in other threads about other topics) - that's not cool. Claiming - as Grim did elsewhere - that the game didn't have any monsters because there were no monsters in the screenshots (which might not even be from the game), then desperately trying to back down from it with a "well it might not have monsters, we don't know yet, and anyway I still hate it" tack - that's, well, that's just pathetic. That just makes you come across as an Internet Hate Kid.

Got news for you Grim. All the cool and hip PC kids have moved on from hating Rage ages ago. Rage is old news, it's just so 2011. They're hating other games now, and it's only stragglers picking up the ends of their leavings from trash cans that are left.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for