Leaked screenshots from Doom 4

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
mankrip

Re: Leaked screenshots from Doom 4

Post by mankrip »

There's not much to see in those pics, actually. Definitely not anything that would give any clues about the gameplay.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

mankrip wrote:I saw a McDonalds logo in one of the buildings. Now I want Ronald McDemon as the final boss.
Behold Beelzebozo, prince of evil clowns!
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

And I was looking forward to Doom 4 discussion in this thread =\
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
ajay

Post by ajay »

Fair point, scar3crow, and on that note:
My facetious, self-publicising apart, I would quite like Doom 4 to change tack from previous Doom games - I could happily go without another Mars base and I'd pleased with leileilol's assertion that with "Adrian Carmack having left id years ago ... the horrible cliche'd satanism .... isn't coming back to id." Keep the demons, keep the fear, but change the situations/environments and lose the clichés.
A little "reality" being added to help even jaded game players have a reason to have the fear (over and above being made to jump) would be a good thing; something more psychological than cheap slasher-movie type scares.
How they go about that without wondering to close to survival horror or Fear territory will be tricky for them and interesting for us. If they're fully utilising id tech 5 it seems likely that it's not going to be a corridor shooter; or at the very least the corridors will be part of buildings in vast cities or (please no) off world military bases.

Having said that if Doom 4 is in anyway reminiscent of earthQuake, than I'll know 2 things: 1) id come round these parts and 2) I should have finished the dam mod years ago. (or coincidences just happen and my idea isn't so original anyway)
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

There isn't much to discuss about it in this thread. I don't even consider those pictures as screenshots, because I don't see any game in them. It's just a bunch of empty scenery and a few screen captures of some human models that doesn't even seem to be rigged. Also, a couple pictures with one or another NPC doing nothing.

I'm dead serious when I say that the McDonalds logo was the most interesting thing I saw in all that. It makes me wonder whether it will be featured in the final version of the game, and if there's some kind of partnership going on, like when Quake featured the NIN logo in its nail boxes.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Dirge Inferno

Post by Dirge Inferno »

Irritant wrote:
mh wrote:Got news for you Grim. All the cool and hip PC kids have moved on from hating Rage ages ago. Rage is old news, it's just so 2011. They're hating other games now, and it's only stragglers picking up the ends of their leavings from trash cans that are left.
This really sums up today's gaming culture. Well put sir!
Seems you didn't read my post.
mh

Post by mh »

As near to official word as we're gonna get: http://twitter.com/#!/id_Hooper
Those images have nothing to do with what you're gonna see in Doom4. When we officially show things you'll see awesome
when we officially show things, fans will be happy
No confirmation of what the shots actually are, but the "Doom 4 is gonna suck" crap should probably stop roundabout now.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

ajay wrote:Fair point, scar3crow, and on that note:
My facetious, self-publicising apart, I would quite like Doom 4 to change tack from previous Doom games - I could happily go without another Mars base and I'd pleased with leileilol's assertion that with "Adrian Carmack having left id years ago ... the horrible cliche'd satanism .... isn't coming back to id." Keep the demons, keep the fear, but change the situations/environments and lose the clichés.
I dunno. If I understood correctly, you're proposing a more serious approach to a game that worked so well because it never took itself so serious. Yeah, lots of cliché pentagrams, demon heads and flesh based textures (I remember reading about how Adrian Carmack used real medical scars images to compose some of the hellish textures), organic beasts mixed with cybernetic prosthetic limbs (cyberdemon, spider mastermind), flayed corpses hanging from the walls and bunnies heads on sticks, chainsaws and absurd building geometry favoring gameplay and not resemblance with real life - that's Doom I/II essence. Replace it with something more subtle and what you'll get is not necessarily bad, but definitely not Doom.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)