DirectQ 1.9.0

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
ajay

DirectQ 1.9.0

Post by ajay »

As you all probably know it was released today (here: http://directq.codeplex.com/releases/view/82539 )

I've been very keen on trying it as I'm now very dependent upon BSP2-compatible engines for my mod. RMQ is a great engine but has some RMQ-mod specific stuff that didn't entirely fit with mine, so naturally equake.bsp was the first map I tried with this engine.

I've got to say, MH, it's just perfect for my mod. The effects are more tuned down, subtler ones - the glow from the lightning for instance lights up walls it immediately passes, rather than everything within 20ft of it. It's also smooth as silk; marvellous frame rate on what is a large, complicated, non-optimised, mess of a map. The light level is also just perfect for my "overly-dark" mod :wink:

It's really motivating to be able to access such innovative and enabling tools and programming - so, thanks!

*Apologies if this should have been in the Engine Programming forum; have only thought that as I finish, and I'm too lazy to copy it all over...
leileilol

Re: DirectQ 1.9.0

Post by leileilol »

Full viewsize turns off crosshair
I noticed a rocket passing through a shambler
i should not be here
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

leileilol wrote:Full viewsize turns off crosshair
I noticed a rocket passing through a shambler
Yay for ninja shambler dodging rockets! :D
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

..Hey I thought that was a new "feature"! :lol:
Yay for ninja shambler dodging rockets! :D
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Judging by the angles that looks like per triangle hit detection maybe? It looks as if it is passing between the legs, when we are used to it hitting a bbox. If that is a feature, nice, though it does change gameplay (for the better ultimately).
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
mh

Post by mh »

...if only...

It's just most likely a case of the shambler stepping through a particle trail after the fact.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

scar3crow wrote:Judging by the angles that looks like per triangle hit detection maybe? It looks as if it is passing between the legs, when we are used to it hitting a bbox. If that is a feature, nice, though it does change gameplay (for the better ultimately).
PPC wouldn't do the trick because rockets and grenades have that "use extra large collision box" flag set. In practice, it only worked against traceline-type projectiles (i.e. shotgun pellets).
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
ajay

Post by ajay »

MH: Is the 360 controller code back in?
mh

Post by mh »

ajay wrote:MH: Is the 360 controller code back in?
Yup. I didn't really test it too well but it was straight copy and paste from the old version so it should be mostly OK. There's a bunch of cvars for enabling/disabling it, all beginning with "xi".
ajay

Post by ajay »

I think MH is 'real-life-ing' at the moment, but can anyone answer the following:
- how do you I use the cvars to enable the 360 controller?
- does DQ have a rain effect?
- does it have an FPS display?
- does fog need to be implemented in worldspawn settings in the map editor?
Thanks for your time.
ajay
mh

Post by mh »

Coming down from real life, some quick answers.
how do you I use the cvars to enable the 360 controller?
I haven't extensively tested this yet, but the cvars all begin with "xi" and other than that it's just regular key binds. All of this may or may not work; I really do need to dig out my old controller (wherever it is), plug it in and do some runs.
does DQ have a rain effect?
Yes, using the same extension and protocol as DarkPlaces.
does it have an FPS display?
scr_showfps 1.
does fog need to be implemented in worldspawn settings in the map editor?
You can use the "fog" command in-game; enter it without any params for an explanation of what the various options do. It's also settable via the old gl_fogenable/etc cvars, although I use exponential fog rather than linear so start and end aren't supported. I recommend setting it via worldspawn though as using the others with stuffcmd won't persist across save games or reloads. Depending on your gfx card and drivers switching fog on or off may incur a very brief hitch if new shaders need to be recompiled and reloaded. This should only happen the first time; subsequent times will be instantaneous. And it does depend on your gfx card (only ever seen it happen on Intel).
ajay

Post by ajay »

Thank you.
I looked here: http://mhquake.blogspot.co.uk/p/directq-cvar-list.html coudln't find the cvars? Where else should I look?
mh

Post by mh »

Type "xi" in the console, press TAB and it will give you them all. xi_usecontroller is the main one you want; if memory serves you can plug in your controller after DirectQ starts then set it to 0, then 1 again and it will try to detect the controller. Like I said though, this is very old code and not too well tested so don't rely on it right now. When I uncover my controller it will get better.
ajay

Post by ajay »

In regards to rain: it falls like rain, but looks like eitehr snow or huge water droplets. I fell I may be doing something foolish.
mh

Post by mh »

The rain code just uses the standard particle system.