Darkplaces on ubuntu?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
ceriux

Darkplaces on ubuntu?

Post by ceriux »

hey, i need some help getting darkplaces to run properly. i have my darkplaces folder (i put it in documents) put my id1 folder with in it just like i would on windows. however it doesn't seem to be able to find it or something? it says try setting -basedir blah blah...

i'm new to linux can anyone help?
Ghost_Fang

Re: Darkplaces on ubuntu?

Post by Ghost_Fang »

im not familiar with linux, but the id1 folder is in the same directory has darkplaces.exe right?

if so, maybe the linux darkplaces requires the specific path of "c:/quake/id1"?

Or have you forgotten the gfx.wad?

And last make sure you dont have pakexplorer viewing the .pak file at the same time, you get a sharing violation or something like that and I have had that issue before with windows darkpalces not loading.

I'm not sure what else could be wrong.

Code: Select all

return futile attempt to help;
:P
Baker

Post by Baker »

Did you make your pak0.pak and pak1.pak files lowercase?

As a rule of thumb, if an operating system isn't Windows it is likely to be case sensitive. Also remember that paths need to be using "/" on Linux (and practically everything non-Windows).

/Make sure your id1 folder is lowercase too, even though that is usually already the case.
Ghost_Fang wrote:im not familiar with linux, but the id1 folder is in the same directory has darkplaces.exe right?
Well, on Linux you are not going to be running an .exe. An .exe is what Windows uses.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Baker

Post by Baker »

Ghost_Fang wrote:im not familiar with linux ...
The Ubuntu Desktop Install is Windows installer and so easy your grandma could use it, no kidding ... it is pretty brainless and you have the option to boot into Windows or into Ubuntu when you restart your computer.

Then you could solve that little unfamiliarity problem and diversity of knowledge is a great thing.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/windows-installer

Hands on experience with Linux makes it easier to work with other similar or nigh identical operating systems like: Android phones, iPhones/iPad, OS X, PSP, Chrome OS whenever that is going to truly happen (Google's netbook operating system), etc.

And if you ever do stuff with a web server like PHP, LAMP, etc.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Ghost_Fang

Post by Ghost_Fang »

Baker wrote: Well, on Linux you are not going to be running an .exe. An .exe is what Windows uses.
Hahaha *facepalm* yea i knew that, just a habit to describe the path to darkplaces like that.

And i never said i didn't have linux, im just not accustomed to it :P
I have Lucid Lynx (10.04 LTS) on my flashdrive and my computer prioritizes my flash drive over my HDD, so its just the matter of having my flashdrive in when my computer boots :D
Baker

Post by Baker »

Ghost_Fang wrote:Hahaha *facepalm* yea i knew that, just a habit to describe the path to darkplaces like that.
Hehe :D Well, since you had the one iPhone modding project thing I kinda thought you knew.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

thanks baker, your suggestions helped. is it me.. or are things crisper on linux?
Baker

Post by Baker »

ceriux wrote:thanks baker, your suggestions helped. is it me.. or are things crisper on linux?
It may your gamma or config. If you refer to video, OpenGL is pretty much going to be OpenGL setting aside Windows versus Linux video drivers.

If you refer to sound ... well ... DarkPlaces on Linux is running SDL (unless this has changed and I bet it hasn't) and you could use the DarkPlaces Windows SDL if the sound is different to you and see if it varies. The "normal" DarkPlaces build on Windows doesn't use the SDL sound library. I don't know the differences in sound between the SDL and non-SDL Windows build.

Short version: I dunno.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

well the graphics seem smoother and sharper. even just on regular programs. everything seems to run a bit faster including browsing the internet and my downloads. a good example is my wireless usb adapter when i load up windows it takes like 3 to 5 minutes just to connect to the internet after connecting to the router it's a pain. but with ubuntu it's instant. i wish more was compatible with linux. i'd drop windows completely from what i can tell from the os so far.
revelator

Post by revelator »

ubuntu 11 is quite good i use mine as a media server for my home bio :) hardest thing on linux is allmost allways installing and enabling 3d on propriarity gfx drivers but its doable and if setup correctly it works a treat.
I also use it on my old fujitsu laptop (pentium M) as it cant handle win7 :( (no drivers) and it runs like challenger hehe.
Productivity is a state of mind.
Baker

Post by Baker »

ceriux wrote:everything seems to run a bit faster including browsing the internet and my downloads.
And how fast is the startup? The hibernate. The sleep.

Windows is like a stack of 43 pancakes. And corporations have 20 year old software that needs it to be like that. So 20 years from now, Windows will still be like a stack of pancakes. But worse. Because they have to build in countless options to support all kinds of stacks of pancakes to support broken and/or poorly designed or "closed source plus also not updated anymore" business apps.

And part of it is that Windows uses a registry. There is just no fixing Windows and I don't believe Microsoft has any interest in trying, the foreseeable future for them will have plenty of corporate sales.

/But Linux has its own set of problems. You'll find out ...

(This stuff is just my opinion, obviously. And I kinda hate saying it since Reckless loves Linux, for instance. And I do think Linux is a very worthy cause and maybe in the long haul and Ubuntu is light-years ahead of things from 5 years ago ...)
Baker

Post by Baker »

Clarification: Linux is an absolutely vital operating system. Its mere existence prevents corporations from doing "very bad things".

It's just some day if they actually want it to be popular for the average joe, they need to malke an optional supernewbie IDE and have some sort of way to shield newbie from the technical stuff. And no Linux IDE does this. They need to make one user experience for newbies and one user experience for techies and separate them and NEVER mix them.

Linux has all the foundations under the hood of an operating system that could be mainstreamable. Except the current incarnations of, say, the Ubuntu experience as an example are not mainstreamable --- as nice as this experience is compared to say 5-6 years ago. And the problem is one user experience cannot cater adequately to both newbies and technical people.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

Most veteran Linux users think that GNOME (Ubuntu's desktop thingy) is incredibly dumbed down.

- DVDs mount automatically
- Little graphical applets with very few buttons to do internet connection, firewall etc
- tons of hardware is auto identified
- auto updater, press one button to update system
- software install center with search function, one click software installs, does Windows have this?
- my printer worked out of the box (!!!) no driver install needed

What do you think is not newb ready on Ubuntu's desktop? Just curious.

the only thing that's not grandma-ready is the installation of the absolute latest commercial video drivers (e.g. NVIDIA), but even that is by no means difficult. Ubuntu installs default ones, they're just not always the latest version.

+ don't forget installing new hardware etc. isn't always painless or newbie friendly on Windows either (I have an AC97 audio adapter, you wouldn't believe what a pain it was to find a working Windows driver for that).
revelator

Post by revelator »

True im fond of linux but i dont detest other operating systems (i use windows 7 mainly when working on games/my compiler suite) most unix guys go wah when i tell them that i build msys2 under windows 7 64 with msys1 + mingw64 hehe :lol: but since thats the expected target for msys2 i found it better to build it on the os it is intended, to catch loopholes and patch them out before they grow to something it would take me months to fix :). Is my way correct ? well the port took 2 days and the old msys dev told me he used about 3 months to make the initial port of msys1 on linux.

ubuntu is very user friendly and about as easy to use as a mac :) it may seem dumbed down to the avarage linux user but theres more than meets the eye when you get used to using it you will notice :).
besides that aye some drivers can be a bitch even on windows.
Productivity is a state of mind.
Baker

Post by Baker »

goldenboy wrote:What do you think is not newb ready on Ubuntu's desktop? Just curious.
The short version kind of goes like this: I've been waiting for mainstream desktop Linux for years. I have accepted slowly and gradually it will never happen. (I still hope, but this is kind of like ... well maybe 15 years from now kind of hope).

I personally have no problem with Windows for my own use, but like 50+ people want me to fix their Windows machine or their printer or they managed to get a virus again. These are people I know and I have no interest in doing that, yet ... I usually will. I know a crapton of people and believe me, they need to make a computer for stupid people and no offense but 95% of people have no business using a Windows machine.

And this is considered normal?

I could list several things I'm not fond of about Linux as a desktop. But just to pick one, my memory sucks but I wanted to change the desktop resolution or some basic setting and found the only way to do this was with a freaking text file. That's just crazy. Or another one: having to pick one sound system and then not being able to play the other 50% of games. Or how you can't compile for 32 bit target with a 64-bit CPU. Even worse, I bet you can. But it would take 33 1/3 weeks.

Versus 3 years ago, I got a Mac Mini mostly so I could compile engine stuff for OS X. It does probably 80% of normal use things easier than even Windows, it can't get a virus, it never doesn't work or get slow. And it is setup 200,000 times better than any Linux desktop, despite having similar "security by design".

Ubuntu doesn't have some easy central place that is intelligible to the average oaf that is similar to say the Control Panel on Windows (XP ... screw the changes lately) or the OS X Settings Manager.

I have always rooted for Linux and I still do because open source is vital ++++, but it seems to me like something is fundamentally wrong that the user interface and setup isn't an exact clone of some other operating system. For example, the Windows XP user interface is very easy. It is the poor design of the operating system that makes Windows terrible, not the interface. And the documentation built around Linux seems to orbit around freaking man pages, which I can often read and still not understand a damn thing after doing so 7 times out of 10.

Why don't they just completely copy? It is frustrating, really. Kind of like how Gimp can do everything but the menu system is confusing enough you can't figure out many things easily that are easy to find in other graphics apps.