..Any suggestions for a Android Quake engine?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
xaGe

..Any suggestions for a Android Quake engine?

Post by xaGe »

..I Recently purchased a small Android gaming device and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any decent working quake engines for the Android platform?
Baker

Re: ..Any suggestions for a Android Quake engine?

Post by Baker »

"FTEQW runs on Android (you will need a hardware keyboard though), at least that's more or less what I heard."
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Spike

Post by Spike »

Your Milage May Vary...
FTE does have an android port, but its currently compile-yourself, plus I've only tested it in the emulator myself (I don't have a smart phone). There's no on-screen keyboard at any point, so if you don't configure it to do what you want from autoexec.cfg then you'll have problems entering it.
it generally expects /sdcard/fte/id1/pak0.pak to exist. If there are no files there, it'll go into the 'ohnoesI'vegotnocontent' mode and be almost useless.

a google search reveals this: https://market.android.com/details?id=tk.niuzb.quake if you want something slightly better tested or more vanilla.
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

..That is kind of disappointing considering the popularity of Android handheld device's was hoping there would be more options. I just received my new toy yesterday which is a cheap Chinese device with psp controls without the annoying psp internals! I bought it mainly for emulation, but the option to play even vanilla Quake would be cool. Thanks for the info, guess i will check the one on the market when I get a chance.
Baker

Post by Baker »

There is this too:

http://code.google.com/p/glesquake/

It is my understanding that there is no sound with this one though.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

There's Quake4droid (despite the name, it's a Quake 1 port).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Spike

Post by Spike »

small update:
http://triptohell.info/moodles/android/FTEDroid.apk
no longer compile-yer-own, but you do still need to give it some data files yourself.

in order to run properly, it needs /sdcard/fte/id1/pak0.pak and pak1.pak too (note that you can give it hexen2 instead if you prefer) - id's gamedata cannot reasonably be distributed with it, which makes this awkward.
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Spike wrote:it needs /sdcard/fte/id1/pak0.pak and pak1.pak
I've just tried, and it isn't loading the PAK files. I've tried renaming them to lower case, but it didn't work either. All that shows up is a main menu containing something like "join a server / options / quit", with no console background or any content from the PAK files.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

..That is good news Spike because the other offerings available from the markets or any where online period are pitiful. Any doom engine(all Prboom based it seems) on my device I've tried work pretty nice, but all the Quake engine offering so far I've tried have just flopped on my Android 2.2 device. I was thinking maybe its my device, but seriously if I can emulate a PSX with little issue why not Quake. :? I'll try your engine out and see what happens.

15mins later...

1st off providing my own data files doesn't make it awkward at all, unless your unfamiliar with manipulating files around on an Android device. :)

Secondly I want to say WOW! I unfortunately find it unplayable, BUT very impressed it loads up surprisingly quick and looks awesome! That alone compared to the others is pretty impressive! I had some kind of initialization error message in the console at 1st when trying to run it, but I'm sure that's due to some testing I was doing with the Chainfire3d drivers available on the market. I closed FTEDroid down, uninstalled the Chainfire3d driver, restarted the device and launched FTEDroid just fine. In fact it was just like running FTE on my PC desktop. My issues seem to be sound and input lag, but thanks for the effort nevertheless. I'll continue to test it out a bit when I have time.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Considering OpenGLES and its hate of texture switching and things like that, an accellerated quake renderer would require a huge overhaul to be optimal for ES. All those "Bag of tricks" 3d conventions of yore are ill in those stupid gadgets.

ridiculous, right? YEAH I have to reboot a game because of the "future"!
i should not be here
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

FYI mankrip sometimes when they say /sdcard its actually your devices internal ram it referring to not necessarily an actual sdcard inside your device. This is the case at least with my YDPG18.
mankrip wrote:I've just tried, and it isn't loading the PAK files. I've tried renaming them to lower case, but it didn't work either. All that shows up is a main menu containing something like "join a server / options / quit", with no console background or any content from the PAK files.
Spike

Post by Spike »

when I say /sdcard, I mean /sdcard as seen by the libc, which should match adb or any other apps that use native naming conventions.
Yeah, I'm not sure what to do about sound, I guess I have to use some sound api (opensl) from a later version of android, but that would require android 2.3 as a minimum requirement, which makes it kinda pointless when most people have android 2.2.
I'm surprised that you might have input lag. Its a bit hard to measure that when the emulator only gets about 3 fps. :P
I suppose I ought to get an x86 port of android to test it at a more reasonable framerate.
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

3fps? FTEDroid's built in fps counter was showing 30-50 FPS on my Android 2.2 device. Judging by the way light style and monster model animations where pretty smooth suggests it was correct I would guess. The ambient sounds would skip or loop for what seemed non stop from time to time yet the shotgun firing sounded fine for some reason. Whether I pressed the touch screen or used my hardware d-pad and buttons there would be a 1 to 3 second wait before I would fire or move. When I did it would move farther than it should have like I over steered.

I did get a GL error message from time to time, but it was hard to read. I'll look at it more closely next time. Didn't feel like looking every where but I did look for the config.cfg where one would expect it to be in "/fte/id1" but nothing but the pak file. I did find a file named "qkey" in "/fte" but it was just a bunch of numbers, letters, and wacky symbols.
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

xaGe wrote:FYI mankrip sometimes when they say /sdcard its actually your devices internal ram it referring to not necessarily an actual sdcard inside your device. This is the case at least with my YDPG18.
Thanks! That solved it.

Mine's also an YDPG18 with Android 2.2, and I got exactly the same results you described. This engine runs great, all it needs is fixing the input and sound problems, and scaling up the GUI/HUD/console (I haven't found an option for that yet).
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

..I just caught on Spike! So you don't have an android device and your using an Android emulator and that's where your getting 3fps?

mankrip: Glad it worked and cool to know you also have a YDPG18! So I'm not playing quake on it yet obviously, but I've been playing a TON of Doom and Hexen on the sucker in between game roms from the older console emulators and a few actually android games thrown in here and there. :D