..Any suggestions for a Android Quake engine?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Spike

Re: ..Any suggestions for a Android Quake engine?

Post by Spike »

lol, those are some seriously crazy lightstyles...

orientation *should* be something inside the android manifest file thingie, I believe it ought to be forced to landscape. So far I've delayed forcing a specific layout because there are other ways for android's GLSurfaceView class to destroy the context, and its easier to ensure it works if you have a nice way to trigger the issue lots. :)

regarding audio, fte uses the java-based audiotrack api. a separate thread is created, which creates an audiotrack instance, calls into the engine to obtain chunks of 2048 samples at a time, and then posts that to audiotrack in a blocking call. This thread is the audiothreadclass in the java code, so its fully a java api, just that it grabs the data from JNI/the engine instead of some other buffer/function.
latency is more a product of the overall buffer size rather than the submission chunk size of 2048.
the chunk size is specified by audbuf.length, and the overall buffer size is the 'sz' value. You can try removing the 2* value, but while reading comments about the function I saw people complaining that stuff didn't work without at least a 2* there. I do not really see a reason that it would fail, so long as its twice the chunk size or so, and that the thread is woken up periodically enough for mixing to still work properly.
changing the size of audbuf to 256 should still function fine, I don't see how that would break audio. of course, it would consume a LOT of cpu, but should still work. I suspect there might be some error code for the write call, that requires re-calling at.play(), but I don't see why that would really be affected by the chunk size.

external texture are disabled in the 'fast' preset, as the number of potential path/extension combinations can be slow. gl_load24bit will enable it if you don't want to change the rest of the preset.

FTE does not flood-fill mdl skins, unlike vanilla glquake. Models that do exhibit such issues do not take mipmapping/bilinear filtering in to consideration and cannot logically be displayed properly, which is why vanilla floodfills to fix issues with vanilla models. The only way to fix that is to edit the content either at creation time, or at load time. Replacement skins will never be flood-filled, as the engine should not have to hack content like that in an ideal world. Basically I never reimplemented the flood-fill after rewriting the loader (because its evil, and I somehow didn't notice the bugs at the time).
This might not be the cause of the issue you mention... but if it is, it should affect windows/linux ports the same.
RenegadeC

Re: ..Any suggestions for a Android Quake engine?

Post by RenegadeC »

I'm running Gingerbread 2.4.3 (LG Eclypse, 1ghz processor with Andreno 205 GPU) and FTE won't even boot. Black screen and back to my phones home screen. Any ideas? :(