Windows 8

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Dirge Inferno

Re: Windows 8

Post by Dirge Inferno »

leileilol wrote:The only fundamental desktop UI differences between Windows 95 and Windows 7 are how programs are seen in the task manager
Heh, no. Everybody knows the UI is heaps different. Not to mention the features that were simplified or removed.
leileilol wrote:The desktop icons can be easily turned back on, icon sizes can be set back to 32x32 just by ctrl-mwheel scrolling.
For a similarily vintage web surfing experience that's modern you could install Seamonkey with Seazilla to imitate Netscape Communicator 4 a bit more
I already knew that.
leileilol wrote:and FYI I use an accurate 95 theme as much as I could for 7.
Even the classic theme for Windows 7 is different from 95.
mh

Post by mh »

leileilol wrote:The only fundamental desktop UI differences between Windows 95 and Windows 7 are how programs are seen in the task manager
Aero peek is awesome and a genuine usability improvement. I'm a huge fan of the two-pane start menu too - at least once you clean out all the default junk and start pinning your own items to it - been so since XP. It's great for servers too - just pin all your management and monitoring tools there, and you've instant access to the stuff you need. Crap like "show window contents while dragging" can rightfully go die in a fire.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Dirge Inferno wrote: Even the classic theme for Windows 7 is different from 95.
That's because "Classic" just has a Windows 2000 scheme. I had to export a Plus! theme of the original colors from W95 and rework the theme file itself to work on 7.
i should not be here