Windows 8

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
r00k

Windows 8

Post by r00k »

Ok i posted this in General cause i didnt see a trash thread.
I see a demo of windows 8. And since Steve Jobs died i guess its ok to rape the hole he left behind.

If i wanted to finger blocks on my computer id break out the old etcher sketch.

Honestly keep the ui dumbified for the people who drive while text messaging and leave our desktop normal!!! im about to switch to unix or go hibernate for 100 years cause this block sliding interface well
its like the Partridge family (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plHUQp0y ... re=related)

Image vs Image

Microsoft has 3 gens of the OS in research and they poop us this just to KEEP up with the Iphone?!

The UI is ?FINE for a phone for the pc, who cares. Seriously who sits in a park and does their workload on a phone-pc with a 5" screen when u can sit in your car with a laptop or at home.
This sitting on a mountain top to download your email is as far fetched as taking a Hummer off road.! grr! and i just bought windows 7, last year. its 64bit and works! I dont give a flying fuck toad about the user inter-f*ck of windows 8.
Oh boy Windows MEdia Center is now THE UI!! :(
M$ you have failed!

off soap box, flame off.

:P

bottom line only buy MS products in ODD numbers!
ratbert

Re: Windows 8

Post by ratbert »

So what your saying this a pro-windows 8 review? Your going to run right to be the first on your block to have this new wonderful thing in your life?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
qbism

Post by qbism »

They brought the "up" button back from XP. What was that for?
Linux Mint Cinnamon!
revelator

Post by revelator »

i would think heed rather have a dissectomy with an electric screwdriver :mrgreen:
sadly many users have fallen for the the ease of use implemented with the imac instead of getting to know there OS :S (no offense against apple) ms is heading that way to now.
the bad thing is that the users soon discover that a lot of things simply cannot be done or require more work to get working than just trying to learn the basics of computing hehe.
Productivity is a state of mind.
Spike

Post by Spike »

the metro junk is for tablets. its just there so they can attempt to leaverage their desktop monopoly into a tablet monopoly too.
desktop users are expected to keep on using the regular UI, though its possible that some monitor company will make touchscreen monitors, or possibly just touchscreen tables... but whatever.

thought they went public with it before jobs died.
Baker

Post by Baker »

reckless wrote: sadly many users have fallen for the the ease of use implemented with the imac instead of getting to know there OS :S (no offense against apple)
A good desktop operating system GUI gets out of the user's way. :D
reckless wrote:ms is heading that way to now.
MS's future is squarely the corporate legacy market. There is a hidden factor in the popularity of tablets or how some people use the PS3/Wii/XBox to watch movies: no malware and viruses which Windows enables. The "Windows desktop manufacturers" compound the perception of Windows as a hassle, by loading every PC they sell with crapware packages that further ruin the Windows experience.

Microsoft has effectively permanently lost the consumer market. And it shows.

The main question is whether it will be Apple or Google that slowly takes it over. Since Google is inherently advertising based, my expectation is that they will not cater to the consumer experience over all other factors and therefore I expect it will be Apple especially with their user-experience driven mantra and hardware development orientation.

The next 3-4 years will be telling: both Apple and Google know this and both are loaded up with tens of billions to spend. We'll see what happens.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
mh

Post by mh »

MS's past and present is firmly rooted in the corporate legacy market, which is slightly odd as they've previously shown a tendency to not actually understand that market. Witness their client OS going out of step with their server OS, and the huge amount of breaking changes to legacy apps that Vista introduced.

That said, the consumer market is fast moving away from traditional PCs anyway. In 5 or 10 years time the concept of an OS war will seem rather silly indeed.

Windows 8 apparently also has a standard desktop, by the way: http://www.backspacetab.com/wp-content/ ... dows8.jpeg
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
r00k

Post by r00k »

Good to know, I didnt wanna have to trash my mouse and buy a seperate USB touch pad just to use my OS.
I think I'll hang on to Win7 for a while as its OEM and I usually skip every other OS version anyways...
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

mh wrote:Windows 8 apparently also has a standard desktop, by the way: http://www.backspacetab.com/wp-content/ ... dows8.jpeg
I read somewhere (Ars Technica ? Can't remember right now) that it isn't a real Windows desktop, but a Metro-based simulation.
Personally, I'll stick with Windows 7 (just upgraded from XP last year when my box died) as long as possible.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

The metro design isn't in response to the iPhone, but rather in congruence with the Windows Phone design, with the in-between being a tablet form. Essentially the result is the same OS approach for Windows be it on a desktop, tablet, or phone - and I wouldn't be surprised if in some way Xbox products are brought in toward this design. I can understand why people have negative feelings about Metro, but as a former iPhone user it is pretty different. All of that aside, everything I've heard of 8 indicates that the Metro layer is just a layer, and users can run a more traditional UI at their whim.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
Jukki

Post by Jukki »

[quote="scar3crow"and I wouldn't be surprised if in some way Xbox products are brought in toward this design.[/quote]

They allready did in secember :/ kinda hate the kew ui in it. First one was the best imo
hogsy

Post by hogsy »

Jukki wrote:
scar3crow wrote:and I wouldn't be surprised if in some way Xbox products are brought in toward this design.
They allready did in secember :/ kinda hate the kew ui in it. First one was the best imo

I agree. The first Xbox 360 interface was the best in my oppinion, it felt more like a console and I could very easily find what I wanted where as with the new interface... Everything seems small and harder to find (so much stuff which is getting away from the point of a GAMES console) which is why I have now ditched my Xbox 360 :lol:
Dirge Inferno

Post by Dirge Inferno »

This is meant to be an upgrade?
Windows 95
V
Windows 8
Visuals don't count by the way.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

r00k wrote: bottom line only buy MS products in ODD numbers!
Agreed! Like Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 2003 server!
Dirge Inferno wrote:Visuals don't count by the way.
The only fundamental desktop UI differences between Windows 95 and Windows 7 are how programs are seen in the task manager

The desktop icons can be easily turned back on, icon sizes can be set back to 32x32 just by ctrl-mwheel scrolling.
For a similarily vintage web surfing experience that's modern you could install Seamonkey with Seazilla to imitate Netscape Communicator 4 a bit more

and FYI I use an accurate 95 theme as much as I could for 7.
i should not be here
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

leileilol wrote:
r00k wrote: bottom line only buy MS products in ODD numbers!
Agreed! Like Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 2003 server!
Dirge Inferno wrote:Visuals don't count by the way.
The only fundamental desktop UI differences between Windows 95 and Windows 7 are how programs are seen in the task manager

The desktop icons can be easily turned back on, icon sizes can be set back to 32x32 just by ctrl-mwheel scrolling.
For a similarily vintage web surfing experience that's modern you could install Seamonkey with Seazilla to imitate Netscape Communicator 4 a bit more

and FYI I use an accurate 95 theme as much as I could for 7.
I challenge you to change this back to what used to be in XP without 3rd. party programs:
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)