last version of C::B Advanced

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
revelator

last version of C::B Advanced

Post by revelator »

Well not the last, but the last using the old msys runtime for porting :)

Its now in a state where im happy with it,
i ported the most vital tools for a full fledged cross environment for those who like to use gnu libraries or tools from windows without having a cygwin dependency.

Additions i ported to msys.

ghostscript.
netpbm.
psutils.
tetex.
python.
perl multithreaded.
ed.
robodoc.
gnutls.
rsync.
apache2.
svn.
docbook.
rarian.
gtk-doc.
openjade and opensp.
cyrus-sasl.
lynx.
expect.
insight.
tcl/tk.
ncurses.
rxspencer.
xpm (no-X version).

expect means the gcc testsuites can now be run on windows without cygwin and its usefull for other stuff also (automation tool).
tetex + openjade + docbook + gtk-doc means you can now make documentation from your gnu sources in pdf dvi and html format (and many more).
rsync can be used as both a server or client and you can automate it so when you make changes to a project it autouploads the changes to your site.
lynx is a console browser using ncurses while not overly usefull on windows a few tools can make use of its features like perl.
insight is the gdb frontend. Msys uses a rather old version of gdb but it works.
svn is a subversion client (latest version) its a bit slow due to the old runtime but it works like a charm.
python port to Msys used in many tools and handy as a build tool if your project uses scons, also has many other uses.
most of the other stuff are support libraries and tools.

gcc-4.2.1 msys port (nessesary when porting newer stuff).
gawk-4.1.0 bit newer than the one from mingw site and uses libsigsegv for catching errors.

MinGW 32 and 64 gcc version 4.6.2 with tons of support libraries and tools.

The local folder contains some maybe redundant tools now that i ported python to msys but some of them uses libraries i cannot port to the old runtime so hey rock and hey hard place :S
I havent run into weird stuff with python unless building a python extention for msys (rename local to local.bak when building extentions for msys python) but thats about it.

Im uploading the package tonight in a seperate folder on my site cause this is the full thing (and its pretty huge) so im spanning the installer in 3 packages.
Peeps who cannot afford to wait for a package this size to download can still get the minimal version :)

Hope my christmas present will be usefull to some.
Productivity is a state of mind.
revelator

Re: last version of C::B Advanced

Post by revelator »

its up https://sourceforge.net/projects/cbadva ... ed%20Full/

5 7zip files containing the installer.

Besides the additions on the previous page you can also toy with parrot which is the next perl, llvm which is the mac compiler on windows (does not work with C::B but works fine with the shell. parts of the msys runtime was built with llvm), drpython which is a very advanced python editor with plugin support from the creator of drmingw (uses pyQT).

as for subversion clients you get mercurial git svn and bazaar.

sources can be formatted with aspell or hunspell and git uses aspell for locale support.

both mingw32 and 64 has full QT support so if youre into QT you can start work right away.
revelator

Post by revelator »

upped my latest builds of mingw32 and 64 and ada is finally working :)

you can use them as standalone or in your own environment if you dont want the complete package.

they contain many libraries and tools you may or may not need, but in case you need them they are there and you dont have to compile them yourself :).

things that may be of use to a game developer are physfs (handles pak pk3 etc.) openal vorbis flac lame mad speex sndfile fishsound fluidsynth SDL sound SDL mixer (audio and midi libraries) libpng libtiff libjpeg libjbig lcms freeimage devil openjpeg magick (image libraries and tools)

netpbm psutils paper plplot ghostscript (font and documentation tools) + many other.

use them with codeblocks or codelite or any ide you like.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

can you please explain to noobs or aspiring programmes (I'm both :) ) what is this software? Is it an Ide?
I read the readme but I don't understand!
Maybe I could need it
thanks
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
revelator

Post by revelator »

The full package on the site is an ide + compilers for windows 32 or 64 bit.
It also contains a ton of tools like python apache svn git bazaar mercurial and much more.
Its big though ;) so if you need something a bit smaller i also provide a more minimal version on the site.
The mingw compilers i just uploaded are standalone if you prefer another ide/build environment you can use them with that.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

wow thanks reckless for the clarification. I do need it. On ubuntu I've no problem to compile but on Windows I tried a week to make mingw works but with no success. A global solution (ide + compiler + optional svn) would be VERY useful for start!
thanks for sharing!
revelator

Post by revelator »

Its the idea behind it to make it as easy as possible to use mingw on windows,
while providing libraries and tools from the gnu world that can be hard for the novice user to get compiling on windows since many times it requires hacks or workarounds.
its not perfect but i think i made a valid effort in that regard :)
qbism

Post by qbism »

I'll chime in- I've been using C::B Advanced for a year or so. I switched from standard C::B, and can say that it has saved a lot of time scrounging all over the internet to find libraries and headers. Plus it has several IDE plugins installed like right-click shortcuts to "find definition", "find all occurences', etc. The debugger has also worked well for me.

Reckless has made a great contribution.
revelator

Post by revelator »

though work on the old msys runtime stopped with this version (work continues on msys2 based on latest cygwin) i still make new packages from time to time for mingw itself :)
if you need something out of the ordinary ported for windows drop me a line and ill look into it.

And thanks for the kind words qbism :)
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

qbism wrote:Reckless has made a great contribution.
Completely agree
revelator

Post by revelator »

maybe someone here can chime in on a problem im facing.

I made some collaborate work with a guy called xunxun to get the llvm plugin (dragonegg) working on mingw. I ran into some trouble though because the plugin interface needs dlopen and dlsym and the only win32 implementation availiable is the now abandoned dlfcn-win32 project which suffers some problems. Basically when using the plugin the compiler cannot link and heres the weird one the 64 bit mingw can and works ok to ???.

the code in dlfcn-win32 is pure C so maybe someone can help getting it to work correctly ?
revelator

Post by revelator »

bug was not caused by dlfcn-win32 but was a glitch in the dragonegg plugin to how mingw works. basically both tried to decorate the library names with @. with some help from the llvm guys and especially duncan sands we can now use llvm with mingw + codeblocks :). Im uploading the gcc builds later to my sourceforge site. To use llvm with mingw use -fplugin=dragonegg-cc1 for llvm optimized gcc or -fplugin=dragonegg-cc1plus for llvm optimized g++ code. there are also plugins for ada and objc + objc-plusplus
but the former are the most used.
revelator

Post by revelator »

heres the 32 bit build of dragonegg mingw http://sourceforge.net/projects/cbadvan ... z/download

the 64 bit one is also there.

though it builds quake right out of the box the resulting exe crashes if you use libraries not compiled with dragonegg (be warned) :P else it works just honky dory ;).
It also works with codeblocks now (old llvm-gcc did not).

the plugin is beta stage so expect some weirdness in larger projects, smaller projects seem to work mostly ok. (no not my particular port dragonegg in general is in heavy development :) )

Have fun
qbism

Post by qbism »

What is the advantage of llvm optimization over standard gcc? I guess that is the goal of dragonegg.
revelator

Post by revelator »

it adds some new optimization options (mainly for lto builds) it also compiles faster than gcc. besides that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LLVM :)
theres a bit more to it than meets the eye.