My name is Inigo Montoya...

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

My name is Inigo Montoya...

Post by scar3crow »

....you fragged my shubby, prepare to die. And respawn.

Actually, how about an introductory post?

A lot of you I know, at least on a casual level, some I know more personally over the years. But theres the fact that I have no idea about a lot of you people... not even what nation you reside in or anything of the sort. So... who are you?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

I came from the land of new hampshire

I was a lurker on the quakec newsgroup for a while in 1996, and because of that, it is where it got me today

then I came to inside3d's board around 2001 and the rest is history.
i should not be here
ajay

Post by ajay »

My name is Andy Simpson. I'm the grand old age of 41. I live in Swindon, Wiltshire, England with my wife and three children. I was born in London, leaving at age 11.
I'm a nurse working with people with learning disabilities.

I got into Quake pretty much straight after getting a pc in 1997. I'd been into games since the original Space Invaders, Defender and even Pong. Graduating through Sega Master System, Megadrive, Saturn, Dreamcast, Xbox and now 360.

I'd done a computer course in 1982, which involved what was then called "operating" and programming. I also played around with Basic, especially on BBC Micro's.

In my spare time; obviously when not doing Quake stuff, I train - mostly cycling and gym. Presently I'm doing nothing due to a hip flexor injury. Other than that I spend too much money, and waste too much time, on Dvd's.

Oh, and I'm ginger.
Quake Matt

Post by Quake Matt »

Graduating through Sega Master System, Megadrive, Saturn, Dreamcast, Xbox and now 360.
Same console progression as me!

Anyway, I'm Matthew Lawrence, 21, living on the coast of Lincolnshire, England. I've been into Quake ever since it came out and used to mod it about five or six year ago, then picked it up again when DarkSnow ran a compo about this time last year. Even now though, I'm happier tinkering with games than I am playing them!
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Quake Matt wrote: Anyway, I'm Matthew Lawrence, 21, living on the coast of Lincolnshire, England. I've been into Quake ever since it came out and used to mod it about five or six year ago, then picked it up again when DarkSnow ran a compo about this time last year. Even now though, I'm happier tinkering with games than I am playing them!
I had no idea you were a limey.

I'm Ryan Smith from "America's Home Town" Plymouth Massachusetts. I've been modding Quake basically since it came out, and upgraded my internet access quite early just to play Quake online. I originally began programming at the age of 7 for various machines graduating from a TRS-80 into Commodore 64s, from a C64 to a 286, from a 286 to a 486, from that to Quake basically. I've never been very interested in consoles because I couldn't make my own games for them. Though I did own an Atari 2600, NES, SNES and recently an XBOX. Got the XBOX mostly because I can now, finally, make my own games for console :)
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

For that personal shite, just check the frappr stuff on that there irc channel.

As far as quake history:

I'd started out originally with doom. Then I started messing around with patches for doom. Then I started messing around with dehacked. After that, I got Duke Nukem 3D, and basically loved it. Upgraded with the plutonium pack, still loved it. And then I found the quake shareware. And it was good. Then around '98-'99, I acquired Quake Full. And it was really good. And then I discovered the mods for it, and through that, QuakeC; thereby spawning MGUN, and the DNTDP mod. From there, the rest is history.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

The first mod I ever saw was Barney Doom, and then stumbled across Quake and QuakeC. Changed my life.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

My family got our first PC in 1998 (after a long string of very trusty Macs that I miss...). I've never really followed the games stuff, but my brother began to buy PC Gamer and I would play the demos off the discs. I played Quake II demo when it came out this way, then one day my brother came home with the Quake full CD that he picked up in a bargain bin for $10 or $20 or something. I had never thought that there might be a Quake I, so I stole it and played through the first half of E1M1 and thought it was pretty spiffy. Snuck it back into his room then gave him half of what he paid for it so I could co-own it. Got the internet in 2000 and soon after discovered Quake modding (I believe my first exposure was some Quake movies), then joined the Inside3D forums in early 2002 or some such.

Prior to that I had been coding in C/C++, since I was 11 or something.. Which is quite an improbable thing because until I was 17 I had never met another live soul who could program (and of course this was long before I got the internet)... I had just stumbled across a HTML for kids book, real old school stuff and thought it was nifty, then that led to discovering two C/C++ books in the tiny computer section of the library... one of which came with a disk with Turbo C++ 1.0...

etc.
etc.

etc.

BTW as soon as I picked up interest in Quake, my brother dropped it, and I managed to yoink the CD and manuals off him now without him caring. The box, unfortunately, was thrown away years ago by my mom. I so vaguely remember it...

Anyway, once I'm not a hobo anymore I'm going to buy as mint a copy as I can find on ebay.
Last edited by Sajt on Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Finding other people who program in real life is a major challenege. Ive only met one person in my entire school career that knew anything about coding. Oh, and I had a math teacher who was a programmer. The odds are much higher nowadays though, with so many more people entering the arena.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

FrikaC wrote:The first mod I ever saw was Barney Doom
Terminator 2 doom sounds was my first here.
i should not be here
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

I remember laughing at that nerdy kid in our class who claimed that he could play Doom2 maps that were not in the original game.
Guess who's laughing, now...
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Oh, btw, I modded Wolf3d before Quake for a short while :) (mostly applying tutorials, I never really went into the code myself)

Lost all that stuff though. And I kept running into crashes and couldn't figure them out so I eventually lost interest.

Wolf3d mapping sure is a breeze though ;)
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
Bank

Post by Bank »

I'm known as C.M. Kelly of Phoenix Arizona, I work in voice acting and radio when I'm not melting from the outrageous heat. We dont get seasons, just different flavours of summer.

I lived on Vancouver Island for four years, I am completely incompetant at level design, and really have contributed nothing but Qradio to the Quake community in its current incarnation.

Cheers.
"When my name is dropped, it's kinda like a curse word. People react to it in very different ways." -Bank
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

Era 1:
My name's Gerrad Hall... I'm currently 22. I pretty much got into pc gaming (console gaming for years and years before that) when I went to a friend's house when I was 11 and he was running a game of Doom 2 on 2 pcs. I hopped down and was completely amazed by the deathmatch. After that, another friend showed me Duke Nukem 3D and got me addicted... I believe I still have 10 floppies somewhere with Duke full version on it. I then bought ever level compilation I could find for it. I went through thousands of maps. Crazy.

Era 2:
One day I picked up a copy of PC Gamer that had the Quake shareware on it. I saw pics and died to play it. Unfortunately, the shareware disk didn't work, so I couldn't play it. Little soon after, he bought the shareware disk and it worked. I was glued to the computer from that day forth.

Era 3:
I bought a CD called Level Master V for Quake. I glanced through it and noticed something called a mod. I then installed the dragon mod that came with it (or wyvern? something like that). I couldn't, for the life of me, find out how to run the mod. We then spent hours and hours trying to find online how to run such a thing. When we finally figured it out, I was entralled... I couldn't get myself away from mods. The fact that you can make a game of your own out of your favorite game was amazing. I then noticed that there was a compiler available and source code. I looked at the code for sooo long that I finally knew what some of it meant.

Era 4:
I finally completed my first full mod. Austin Powers Quake. WORST MOD EVER. I even made all my own models, animations, and maps using a shitty version of Quark. Unfortunately I never fully released a mod. Everything that anyone has ever seen from me was half-done. I have this tendancy to start a mod... then start another and another and another... then get too lazy to finish and just keep starting new ones.

Era 5:
I like to try my best to keep this community going, since it's given so much to me over the years. I noticed that NOTHING was happening on I3D's frontpage for years. I talked with Frik for a bit about it and he was like "if you can help it, it's yours". So I then talked with Randy (who made an old remake of I3D a while back) and got him to code and design it. And, blam... new I3D. I then, fronted the money for my own space on the net. There was a lot of discussion about how there isn't a central file archive for our community anymore. I thought... "wow I have a lot of space and bandwidth and nothing to do with it, so I'll give it a shot". I had no idea that it'd take off like it did. Good stuff.

Era 6-ish:
Soon though, I would like to complete and release my mod made using the Gyro physics library (I love QuakeMatt's mods, thanks). Anyways, that's my story. BLAM!!

LINKS:
Errorabove.com
Speed Modding
Quake File Archive

enjoy.
SkinnedAlive

Post by SkinnedAlive »

My name is Robin Bagust and I am a 19 year-old philosophy undergraduate living in the UK. I've been playing Quake for 8 years now. I've pretty much grown up with it. I think I first played the shareware version on the cover CD of some now defunct PC gaming magazine that I used to read alot. I got the full version from my brother, who left it for dead and moved on to other games. I was playing doom as well for a few years before that. By all rights I should have hacked my to bits by now what with all evil violent games I played as a kid.

I have pretty much no experience in coding. I've dabbled in html and VB but nothing substantial. Apart from copying out BASIC code from books as a kid. We used to have a BBC Micro back then. I'm just starting to get serious about QC now though.

My other passion is music. I play guitar and bass mostly.

I also released a few awful mods and an awful map a few years ago. Oh, and made a couple of half-decent maps for Wazat's BattleMech too.

I don't tend to play online, usually I prefer to play coop on a LAN.