Desperately seeking: Jim Kaufman (rock2) + 'karl' (town4)

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
OneManClan

Desperately seeking: Jim Kaufman (rock2) + 'karl' (town4)

Post by OneManClan »

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to locate the whereabouts of two old skool map makers. Maybe someone here can help:

1. Jim Kaufman, 'Sgt Thundercok' (rock2, well6, spazball)
This guy made one of the greatest TF maps ever - rock2. In two months time (22nd October 2011), the entire AGRplayer base will come together at the same time, at the same place, to play at our annual 32 player, two hour Mega-game known as Rock2ober. Here's last years promo vid! I've tried to contact Jim for years, to let him know about this tribute to his work at every email address I could find, but they were all rejected by the system as invalid. Planetfortress, specifically someone called 'HURT', did an interview with him; There's no date, and I was hoping that *someone* at planetfortress might have an idea of where he is, but every email address I tried has been rejected. It would be absolutely awesome if Jim Kaufman himself could finally make an appearance at a Rock2ober event, and see how his map is absolutely LOVED, so many years later.

2. 'Karl' (town2, town4)
One of my many obsessions is the resurrection of Town4, an amazing, yet sadly forgotten map. The gameplay quite frankly sucks (hit the buttons), but the solution I've been working on is to resurrect it as a payload map - the path is already there! Teamxlink has already begun work on the decompilation and reconstruction of town4, and frag.machine has presented a working cart!! From what I understand however, the reconstruction of the bsp is a BIG job, as many brushes have to be remade (I'm not a mapper so I'm not sure if I'm describing it properly). If TeamXLink could have the original .map file - it can be done.. though as I'm writing these words I'm wondering if it's possible to do it via an ent edit... Though my work stalled in trying to write a working cart, I *did* learn a little about ent editing, and off the top of my (still newbie) head, I can't see why the cart, *and* the path can't be spawned in the QuakeC.. if not combined with an ent edit.. . hmm anyway.. the original .map file would still be GREAT!

His last known email was spyrer@zip.com.au , so he's an Aussie.. I did write to him MANY years ago (asking about how the night/day bit was triggered), and he responded w a vid i still have somewhere, but his email is now dead

So.. if anyone knows, or knows someone who might know the whereabouts of Jim Kaufman 'Sgt Thundercok' (it's been a while now.. maybe he has teenage kids who he's hiding his old nickname from ;) ) or Karl, the author of the amazing town4, please let me know.

Any suggestions, leads etc will also be appreciated.

thanks,

OneManClan