Asking for help with old Quake mods

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
gdiddy62

Re: Asking for help with old Quake mods

Post by gdiddy62 »

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that reckless! I too have some lower back issues but nothing close to what you seem to be experiencing on top of your leg issue.
That is too bad as your Tenebrae is nnow the one I use.
Thank you for getting xwar going for me though, perhaps it will be better to see if someone else will try this.

I hope to hear you're getting better soon!
revelator

Post by revelator »

Not your fault :) and ill probably still try and improve tenebrae but im at the point where my quake fu is failing :P
though tenebrae is now old its still a somewhat massive bunch o rewrites/hacks to get quake to support stuff it was newer ment to.
Atleast i understand most of it while darkplace mostly leaves me with more questions than i could ever hope to get answered xD

Was also the first quake engine to support bumpmapping / shadow volumes and the code was a mess but its a bit cleaner now.
Productivity is a state of mind.
gdiddy62

Post by gdiddy62 »

Hello everyone,
Due to the health issues reckless is experiencing, I was wondering if there was anyone else willing to tackle this issue with NPR Quake working on modern systems?

Regards

P.S. Reckless..get well soon!!
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

I'm guessing NPRQuake doesn't have the old extension check fix. In the meantime try renaming nprquake.exe to glh2.exe or quake2.exe so some driver-side workaround can kick in.
i should not be here
revelator

Post by revelator »

Tried applying that one allready but hit another bug after with the dll loader throwing exceptions that is mostly why i gave up trying to fix it since no matter what i did i could not get around that one.
Looks like an api change in newer windows is throwing it off.
gdiddy62

Post by gdiddy62 »

Can someone please try to get this to work on modern sytems? I'd really like to be able to play all of my old mods. Reckless was kind enough to get Xwar working but has run into some health issues as he states above. I'd really appreciate anyone giving it a shot.

Thanks in advance.
gdiddy62

Post by gdiddy62 »

Is there no one who is willing to try?
Baker

Post by Baker »

What doesn't work about it?

On Windows, you can work around the timing issue by:

1) Go to Task Manager
2) Find the NPR Quake process in the list.
3) Right click on the process and click "Set Affinity" and select only a single CPU (cpu 0 would probably be the best).

If you have an old Intel display adapter (and post #1 indicates you don't), NPRQuake may not run merely due to how NPRQuake draws the "disc" when loading (same as with GLQuake) which is in a way that the Intel OpenGL drivers didn't support (may still not support?).

Also the extensions list may overflow the buffer.

I saw something about .dlls, which NPRQuake uses for the rendering, I don't see how that would prevent it from running but clearly I'm missing something here.

[I've tried to read the posts to see what the issue is, but there are so many posts I admit if the problem was mentioned, I don't see it.]
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Baker

Post by Baker »

I found this on my hard drive:

http://quake-1.com/docs/opengl/Windows_ ... e_Dlls.zip

Funny, I swear it wasn't there on my hard drive until a few minutes ago.

Fixes: No extensions print so no overflow buffer, fixed for Intel (doesn't do the disc thing), killed all ASM, clock fix. Source and .exe included.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
revelator

Post by revelator »

loads so yay :) the dr_default renderer needs a headshot though (does not work on modern cards everythings white even some of the menu) probably the ztrick cvar has been know to go fubar on modern cards.
Spike

Post by Spike »

white textures are generally due to that paletted texture extension.
revelator

Post by revelator »

ill check it out :) might be an easy fix.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Updated with 2 changes (never uses 8 bit extension, never uses broken GLQuake multitexture)

http://quake-1.com/docs/opengl/Windows_ ... e_Dlls.zip
revelator

Post by revelator »

Heh your fast :)
revelator

Post by revelator »

yup that fixed it ;) looks kinda like a cartoon with the sketch renderer