Boredom + Quake Players = Development Team?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
KakesaR

Boredom + Quake Players = Development Team?

Post by KakesaR »

Hey, i'm new to QC and don't know alot about programming, but i'm looking to learn more (Hell, i'm only young, i'll catch up with you all one day).
For now, mainly for the experience, I want to pull together a development team and work on a/some small mod/s for Quake.
Being experienced coders, I highly doubt any of you will be interested, but I figured i'd give it a go anyway.

If you're not interested in working with me, could someone at least point me in the right direction for bettering my QC skills?
(I'm not completely QC illiterate; I was able to make the "Ball Lightning" spell which acts in the same way as the one featured in Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance.. that was quite an achievement for me, being a beginner and all).

Basically, i'm capable of making a mod on my own, except for the graphical side of it.. but one or two more coders would always be handy. Even if you just give me advice?

Thanks,
Kakesar
Megazoid

Post by Megazoid »

Hi KakesaR, welcome to Inside3d and the fabulous world of Quake modding ! :D

Always nice to see some a fresh faces.

My name is Megazoid, and I run a Quake website thingy. I'm not a coder, but I can map and have a general obsession with Quake.

Now onto your post... It is extremely unlikely you will be able to recruit a modding team on Inside3d. Almost everybody here has been modding for years, and usually do things on their own. I guess you could offer to maybe help one of them out on their projects.

Another general rule is to have something (quite a lot actually) of work to show before recruiting a mod team. Mindcrime, the guy behind the Nehahra Quake mod recommends having the mod 90% complete before recruiting. I think this is probably overkill, but your project should well fleshed out and at an advanced stage if you want to attract others to comment time and effort to it.

Anyway, all the best, and stick around. :wink:
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

Yea, a lot of us have trouble recruiting each other for project teams, unless we're working on something awesome like FrikaC's Prydon Gate. ;)

I'd recommend you go at it alone for a while until you have something to show around to spark people's interest with. The fact that you made a ball-lightning attack shows that you're not nearly as un-skilled as most people who come here as newbies -- most of us were delighted to make cluster grenades when we got started, so you're quite ahead thus far.

Also, make sure you've planned a lot of what the mod will be like before recruiting. Vague objectives will work in new games like Doom3 and HL2 because the communities are just getting started and most people are novices, but they raise red flags in the minds of veterans. If you have a mod that will require a project team, spend some time planning it out in a word processor or what-not. A project that's 50-90% done is nice, but when that's not possible, some clear descriptions and concept art can help fill in the gap.

And finally, just because you're going at it alone, doesn't mean you're isolated. You can come here and ask for advice, directions, help, and ideas any time you please. We've dealt with some very obnoxious and arrogant newbies (like the dreaded Shadowwalker) and managed to keep our cool (relatively speaking ;P ), and you're far from obnoxious or arrogant in any way, from what I can tell. We're a real relaxed community and we try to not jump on each other or scream down each other's throats like other, more troll-infested communities. You should fit right in. So, feel free to ask any time you need help.

As for finishing 90% of a mod before asking for help, that depends on what kind of help you need. My mod, Conquest, is only about... 30-60% done, depending on how you look at it. I'm not yet willing to recruit mappers (some of the hardest people to enlist, because it's such a large time commitment required), modellers, graphics artists, or any other official helpers, but that doesn't stop me from asking for advise and submissions. I've asked people to point me toward some decent weapon models, monsters, smoke sprites, and other things I'm not able to satisfactorially produce myself. FrikaC has gotten lots of help with Prydon Gate by doing a large portion of the mod and only then showing it off, letting people drool over it until the compulsion to submit models and sounds becomes overwhelming. :)

The best places to chat about Quake outside of this forum:

forums.quakesrc.org (currently down?)

irc.gamesurge.net on port 6667, channels #qc #prydon and #djquake
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
Megazoid

Post by Megazoid »

Oh yeah, and I'm sure you have seen them, but dont forget the Quake C stuff on Inside3d itself :

Getting Started
QuakeC Specs v1.0
QuakeC Tutorials
Tei

Re: Boredom + Quake Players = Development Team?

Post by Tei »

Wellcome Kakesar
KakesaR

Post by KakesaR »

Hey, thanks alot. I've been through almost all of the tutorials already, and looked through some of the Specs.
I also tried to download Prydon's Gate the other night, but it didn't work (I can't remember what was wrong, it was late at night and I'm suffering from severe short-term memory loss at the moment because of fatigue :P too many late nights trying to mod Quake).

Thanks for your advice and everything, you mentioned working on someone else's team.. do any of you know of anyone who could use a little (and I stress little, because i'm not advanced) help with anything?

I'd just like to have some experience, I guess. I've always wanted to be a programmer; I started with BYOND when I was about 10 and a half, and only just moved on from that. My father was a programmer (a great one at that.. incase any of you are from Australia, you know the insurance company G.I.O? He was their network manager, and got flown all over the country and stuff *pride*)... erm, but anyway, sorry 'bout that. Heh.
Anyway, so i've always wanted to follow in his footsteps.

The main problem with this: I'll never end up bothering to get any qualifications for a job because i'm the laziest person in my school.

8) I also have my photo on the wall for being in the top five most absent people.

Sorry about rambling on but i'm bored/tired,

Kakesar
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

KakesaR: also, if you are ever in need of help on coding, come to the QC IRC channel located #qc on irc.gamesurge.net

if you don't have an IRC client, get the latest mIRC at http://www.mirc.com/

hope to see you there :twisted: