QuakeDev.com downtime and request for archival

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

http://quakery.quakedev.com/robots.txt
No wonder it never attracted people. :(
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Solecord

Post by Solecord »

If anyone needs hosting for any thing, please contact me steve * quakeone ^ com

replace * with @ and ^ with . :)

I'd be interested in putting up the qexpo stuff. Anything else....
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Bummer, another Quake site bites the dust. :(

I'll backup my site (I am pretty sure I already have a copy somewhere, but I'll make another just to be sure). Thanks for the extended life span, LH.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Chip

Post by Chip »

frag.machine wrote:Bummer, another Quake site bites the dust. :(

I'll backup my site (I am pretty sure I already have a copy somewhere, but I'll make another just to be sure). Thanks for the extended life span, LH.
What about a full FTP copy of the server and a database dump? In case anyone has access to FTP?
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
LordHavoc

Post by LordHavoc »

Chip wrote:What about a full FTP copy of the server and a database dump? In case anyone has access to FTP?
Echon, icculus and I have root access to the box, it's a dedicated server with 42 subdomains.

There are now independent backups of the entire server in the possession of icculus, R1CH and I (mine only focused on web and svn though).

The server is up for another month, which gives people time to figure out what they want to do with it.

icculus has offered to take up hosting of the entire archived website at its current domain, but this does not cover the svn situation, and it is not clear what will happen to dynamic content such as wiki's at this point.

Anyone wanting continued svn service should contact an svn hosting site and review their terms of use, in particular icculus.org only takes open source projects so private projects should look elsewhere (in general private hosting of svn involves monthly fees, so good luck).

Requests for svndump data for public projects can be satisfied by icculus or I on request.

Requests for svndump data for private projects should go to me, as I need to verify the authenticity of a team representative before handing that over.

It is not advisable to continue working on the server because our backups are already done, although I think R1CH's backups will continue to be updated until the server falls into the void once more.

It is clear is that quakedev.com will never be the same again even if the website is migrated.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Whatever you do, make sure you do not expose private data by eg listing directory contents by default. IGN/Gamespy did this when they re-enabled the Planetquake hosted sites for a while and it is a headache.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

I think we need to come up with a list of solutions. I, for one, offer hosting on my site. Again, I know nothing of SVN, so I can't help with any sites that wish to incorporate that.

Dr. Shadowborg is fully transferred and hosted now.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Error wrote: Dr. Shadowborg is fully transferred and hosted now.
Not fully transferred, still need to finish uploading some files, and get the FXRC re-set up. (dialup which is on the fritz, so it's slow) :oops:

BTW, BIG thanks to LH for buying us some time. :D
Feared

Post by Feared »

Spent a few hours copying the files.

http://bfeared.com/library/index.php?di ... /quakedev/
or
http://bfeared.com/library/quake/archive/quakedev/

Read missing_files.txt so you know what files I didn't/couldn't upload.
The SVN files are just the latest tarballs I grabbed from the SVN.

Tell me if you see any major issues with any of the webfiles.
stevenaaus

Post by stevenaaus »

Cheers. All of QuDos' massive Linux effort is there.
motorsep

Post by motorsep »

Are you guys for real?! I get my shit and I am gone?! Is that what it is?!

All we need is 13 ppl pitching in $10 monthly (or 26 ppl and $5 monthly) and we can keep this site alive.

My only question is why is it so damn expensive!?
Baker

Post by Baker »

motorsep wrote:Are you guys for real?! I get my shit and I am gone?! Is that what it is?!

All we need is 13 ppl pitching in $10 monthly (or 26 ppl and $5 monthly) and we can keep this site alive.
So ... let's see .. other people have to pay teh bills indefinitely for a dead site with little activity in recent history because you want a free host and don't want to make the inconvenient effort to migrate to the multitude of other free hosts for SVN/Git/whatever and webspace?

I had a site at QuakeDev too but with all the Quake sites that have died over the years (Quakesrc.org, quakepit, spawnpoint.org, leveldesign.org, PlanetQuake's hosting for crying out loud) it wasn't like I'd bet the farm on it.

That's crazy.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Even if other people have already backed everything up, in early May I'll back up quakery stuff (qwiki) and qexpo stuff, if I can remember the passwords... I don't know if icculus does mysql, but if so qwiki can return there.
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
motorsep

Post by motorsep »

No, that's not crazy.. You are crazy. When did I ever say I need free host for my SVN? If I can't have it there, I can pay $12 per month and have it it in other place, safe. Not a big deal.

I proposed that because I though community wants to preserve it.

By all means, do what ever you please people.. Just don't bitch that another great Quake community website went under.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Good luck finding 13 people who want to keep quakedev as much as you do. You might be the only one. There are perfectly good alternatives that don't require spending money to keep quakedev alive in some perpetual, fragile near-death state.

And we aren't the ones bitching about it. Kudos for Echon for hosting the site as long as he did, and to LH for keeping it alive one more month, but that doesn't mean that the website deserves to stay alive at the expense of more people.
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.