QuakeDev.com downtime and request for archival

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
TimeServ

Post by TimeServ »

What's going to happen with the domain name? I wouldn't want to see a generic domain squatter page come up and all after a while.

Also maybe I missed this but why exactly does the hosting cost $130/month? How much traffic did quakedev use per month? I'm just curious.
Chip

Post by Chip »

TimeServ wrote:What's going to happen with the domain name? I wouldn't want to see a generic domain squatter page come up and all after a while.

Also maybe I missed this but why exactly does the hosting cost $130/month? How much traffic did quakedev use per month? I'm just curious.
It's either the SVN features or being a dedicated server.
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
Chip

Post by Chip »

This is what a generic whois query says:

Created on: 16-Jan-05
Expires on: 16-Jan-12

???
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
Irritant

Post by Irritant »

Chip wrote:
TimeServ wrote:What's going to happen with the domain name? I wouldn't want to see a generic domain squatter page come up and all after a while.

It's either the SVN features or being a dedicated server.
Surely this could be moved to Icculus.org or some similar host.
http://red.planetarena.org - Alien Arena and the CRX engine
apolluwn

Post by apolluwn »

TimeServ wrote:Also maybe I missed this but why exactly does the hosting cost $130/month?
I don't even think those that are paying for the server can actually legitimize the costs involved.

If the server specs I've seen are accurate then possibly 7-10 years ago this was a pretty decent deal, but anymore you'd find this as the very lowest end budget server.

I know for a fact that $130/mo is a rip-off... I wouldn't dare charging anyone more than $50 a mo for a dedicated server of similar specs unless it was using an exuberant amount of bandwidth which doesn't appear to be the case. You can actually find similar servers for ~$30/mo from the larger hosting companies...
Baker

Post by Baker »

I didn't flame. I was asking the same legitimate questions that anyone hosting a site would care about. The questions weren't offensive.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Baker wrote:How are various people supposed to respond to the "new guy" who might be a repeat of the past issues? There are PSP modders I'd trust more than that.
Yeah, not flaming my ass. If the gamers.org maintainer came here, you'd belittle him as a newb too because his ego is not as big as yours.

Way to repel generosity, champ.

I should mention I'm hosted by someone who isn't even registered here, for at least five years. BY THAT LOGIC WE'VE SEEN, I GUESS HE IS A NOBODY!!!
i should not be here
Baker

Post by Baker »

Eh, to some extent I was in the wrong. I could have rephrased the question in a more considerate and softer manner.

I used to be very good at softening up posts to make them all diplomatic, but lately I really do get a "D-" or "F" in the communications department.

[It's development stress ... but I'm not sure what to do about it really. I've been edgy and don't realize the sheer abrasiveness of my posts at times.]
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Feared

Post by Feared »

You were a little abrasive but I think you were in the right to ask. He had no right to act like that. In my opinion anyways.

If someone really wanted hosting you can feel free to ask me but I won't be taking a hundred people to host. Would only host people who will use/update their site. Trust me or not. I'm throwing it out there.
LordHavoc

Post by LordHavoc »

apolluwn wrote:
TimeServ wrote:Also maybe I missed this but why exactly does the hosting cost $130/month?
I don't even think those that are paying for the server can actually legitimize the costs involved.
Agreed.

On another topic, some people on this forum can be rather abrasive, and for that I apologize on behalf of the rest of the community not represented here.

The quake community is a much friendlier place than these forums indicate, it is frequently the abrasive personalities on forums that keep the average people from participating in said forums - but they still love the game.

I think there is a core question here - Archival or new Maintainer?

Archival is proceeding smoothly and backups have already been retrieved so if the site disappeared again, it would make people sad but it would spring up somewhere else, hosted as a homage to what was.

A new maintainer is being met with suspicion by some people, partly because Echon bungled the job in the past and his priorities have shifted away from Quake, but I do not believe we should judge someone offering to assist in the same light as the previous maintainer.

But this question leads to a more fundamental question - is anyone needing hosting at QuakeDev, or have QuakeDev's services become unnecessary in the community at large?

The hosting world has changed much since QuakeDev first appeared...
apolluwn

Post by apolluwn »

LordHavoc wrote: But this question leads to a more fundamental question - is anyone needing hosting at QuakeDev, or have QuakeDev's services become unnecessary in the community at large?
I think this is certainly the issue as you said existing content seems to be taken care of. Has it out lived its usefulness? I believe everyone has the same goals in mind, that is, to protect the content that is there and any of the projects or content that might be affected by the discontinuation of services.

There are many people willing to help and many other routes to take for hosting that is free, or at the very least quite reasonably priced... In the end, I believe everyone is going to be taken care of, or find an appropriate solution.

Edit: Also, at the risk of cluttering this thread further, It is worth noting that any apology was unnecessary, but is certainly not unappreciated and my former lack of acknowledgement was in the interest of brevity rather than disrespect.

I understand that any negative reaction is most likely just out of protective instinct, but it did seem the questions were loaded and couldn’t be sufficiently answered by anyone. I’ve had nothing but positive encounters in the past and one negative interaction isn’t going to change my perception of an entire community. :) Everyone has bad days...

My reaction may have been over-the-top as I had misinterpreted an emotionally charged response for a manipulative line of questioning. In hindsight, I really should of known better and for that I apologize.
Baker

Post by Baker »

apolluwn wrote:My reaction may have been over-the-top as I had misinterpreted an emotionally charged response for a manipulative line of questioning. In hindsight, I really should of known better and for that I apologize.
You have nothing to apologize for. I was being a butthead, and for no good reason.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

I would like to apologize. I was being a dick right off the bat... I've been sleep deprived for some time now, so please don't take anything that I said to heart. I appreciate anyone's efforts to keeping these sites alive. Proceed. :wink:
apolluwn

Post by apolluwn »

Water under the bridge, guys. Let's just make sure everyone gets taken care of and any services that are essential will still provided by someone. =)

Which really brings us back to does quakedev need to exist, or will archival be adequate?

It seems many people are willing to provide services on differing levels, but quakedev was more explicit about this subdomain, webspace, email, forum, svn, etc.

Is this already taken care of adequately by current quake related sites , or otherwise?
Baker

Post by Baker »

apolluwn wrote:Which really brings us back to does quakedev need to exist, or will archival be adequate?
I noticed Sajt's stuff has been migrated to icculus (I assume you run icculus or Mancubus or both?).

This is kind of an open question to anyone, but the following sites at QuakeDev at a minimum are really important:

1. The Quake Wiki
2. Quake Expo 2001, 2005, 2006
3. Quake Retexturing Project
4. Quake Matt's Gyro stuff

Is this stuff migrated? #1 and #2 seem particularly important and particular difficult to preserve.