Quake Dodgeball

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Trickle

Post by Trickle »

So the hunt for a mapper still continues as we only have two test maps included in the first release.

Fun map ideas that quickly come to mind would be a basketball court and a gymnasium.

I'll keep you guys posted and we'd like to get feedback on the mod! :)
mindzx

Post by mindzx »

I'm eagerly awaiting this to expand further, and become accessible online!! Most intruiging mod idea, two thumbs up !!
Mindzykins
Baker

Post by Baker »

Advice: For maximum NQ server popularity as NQ doesn't support gamedir in the protocol like QW.

1. Map names should be unique. Don't name the maps the same as any existing map, obviously. Don't have it conflict with any existing single player map name either.

2. Model and sound names should be unique. Don't name any of the NEW models or sounds the same as any existing models or sounds. You might consider the suffix "_db" like "ball_db.mdl" or "throw_db.wav".

3. Any player models, name "player_db.mdl". STILL precache "player.mdl" (because it required to be exactly whatever position, lest you break the network protocol). But after player.mdl and eyes.mdl somewhere, precache "player_db.mdl".

Result:

Kawpoie ... the Dodgeball maps, models and sounds can be added to the NQ download depots and ProQuake, Qrack and DirectQ will auto-download off the web.

Then connecting to a dodgeball server is as transparent and easy as connecting to a Rocket Arena, RQuake Coop server or Slide.

Players will be able to connect there with the above clients as conveniently as connecting to a DM server running DM3.

[The web download feature is a client-side feature. Doesn't require any kind of server support. This isn't as good as DarkPlaces server where it tells the client info via cvar, but the NQ community has been using this since 2009.].

Note: If those 3 steps above are in place in a mod, it is pretty much compatible with the [currently on the backburner] Universal Server project. The only addition with Universal Server is adding some common vote-map and vote-mod code into the source.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Trickle

Post by Trickle »

hmm, good idea! I can apply these to the next release..I'm hoping to at least squeeze in one map before hand.
Orion

Post by Orion »

Vote-map is a cool idea, but we'll need a certain amount of dodgeball maps done so I put their names within the vote-map code... :wink:
mindzx

Post by mindzx »

I'm seriously hoping this reaches the "auto-download" from depot's , as it would be very simple to just change where our clients are pointing at the various depot's already out there, and be playing this badass concept of a mod in a matter of no time !!!!

Mindz n Family , down here in Cajun Country are awaiting our turn to play this online with our LAN.
Mindzykins
Trickle

Post by Trickle »

Version 1.1 is near completion. It will include three new maps by the one and only negke!
mindzx

Post by mindzx »

Will 1.1 mark the release to the public?

We're hoping thats the case down here in Cajun Country !!!!
Mindzykins
Trickle

Post by Trickle »

1.0 is available for download, but 1.1 will be WAY better.

We are hoping to get it out by tomorrow afternoon or a little later..it'll contain some surprises :)
Trickle

Post by Trickle »

version 1.1 is out! check out the first post.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Congrats on the release.

Looking through the readme.txt
impulse 15 - Catches a dodgeball(only regular ones).
impulse 16 - Power throw. You can only use it each 20 seconds.
impulse 17 - Sprinting(requires stamina which is displayed on your ammo HUD).
impulse 18 - Starts the match.
... hmmm ... is there is a way to simplify the control scheme from the player point of view.

At the moment, ironically can't think of any good ideas, but most players aren't used to setting up impulse binds when connecting to a server.

R00k? Thoughts?

[I'm trying to think this through to make the mod as popular as possible once it gets up on servers, which is inevitable.]
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

I would set a first run flag and ask the player to set the 4 binds required.

that is:

hit any button to bind catch.
hit any button to bind powerthrow
hit any button to bind sprint

and stuffcmd those badboys.

and i would remove start match as a bind and have it just listen for any keypress (unless they have a reason not to)
or just jump and attack like thinkintermission does

edit*found throw.
Trickle

Post by Trickle »

Hey guys, I quickly updated 1.1.

There was some bugs on bring back teammates classic mode that quickly got squashed by Orion..so go to the first post and download again! :)
negke

Post by negke »

simplify the control scheme from the player point of view.
Perhaps group certain actions on a single impulse and make it dependent on whether the player is carrying a ball or not, e.g. throw command without ball = catching. And make the power throw work by holding the regular throw key for two or three seconds before release (to charge).

The non-QRP textures in the screenshots look a little out of place: the seamless bricks and the runeless metal tile. I didn't take replacement textures into account; the two aren't really necessary there, maybe I'll remove them for 1.2 (if there's going to be another version).
Baker

Post by Baker »

Any useful information on the startup info for a server would help Frenzy get this up online:

http://quakeone.com/news/site-news/6952 ... erver.html

He seems to be encountering some initial frustrations.