Engoo

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
leileilol

Re: Engoo

Post by leileilol »

sv_standstill was inspired by Superhot and it was very trivial to implement (as it is right now anyway) - higher values increase sensitivity to go full speed

I never actually tested it in Wine, but I guess it doesn't like the second buffer I create for reflections :( maybe I should add a parameter to skip the reflection buffer creation entirely.

I don't have much luck crashing the engine on the computers I have (except the win9x ones which get upset at the mh gdi+ddraw vid_win.c immediately)

I also now realize there's a sprite drawing bug for sprites in the distance (more obvious in 'crap' virtual resolution). Might be related to the y scaling stuff or something. i'll look into that

Default video modes don't work yet.

Readme is out of date :D

This is what clicking "My choice" does (note the comments below don't reflect the setting - lol i overlooked that):

Code: Select all

void Preset_Lei (void) // leilei - The kind of settings I prefer myself
{
	Cvar_Set(cl_bobmodel,		"3");	// fig 8
	Cvar_Set(cl_leanmodel,		"1");
	Cvar_Set(cl_followmodel,	"1");
	Cvar_Set(cl_bobfall,		"1");
	Cvar_Set(cl_gundraw,		"1");
	Cvar_Set(cl_bobmodel_side,	"0.3");
	Cvar_Set(cl_bobmodel_up,	"0.15");
	Cvar_Set(cl_bobmodel_speed,	"7");
	Cvar_Set(r_depthoffield,	"0");	// and the depth of field
	Cvar_Set(r_shading,			"2");	// point shading
	Cvar_Set(r_menucolor,		"0");	
	Cvar_Set(s_pitchin,			"2");	// normal sound pitch
	Cvar_Set(s_oldspatial,		"1");	// long distance spatial
	Cvar_Set(r_flares,			"2");	// don't flares
	Cvar_Set(r_particleset,		"2");	// normal particles
	Cvar_Set(r_particletrans,	"1");	// don't have blend particles
	Cvar_Set(r_particleblood,	"9");	// don't use new blood
	Cvar_Set(r_coloredlights,	"2");	// don't have colored lightin
	Cvar_Set(r_filter,			"0");	// don't filter textures
	Cvar_Set(r_muzzlehack,		"1");	// don't hack the muzzleflash
	Cvar_Set(r_lerpmodels,		"1");	// don't interpolate
	Cvar_Set(r_particlespray,	"0");	// don't spray particles
	Cvar_Set(r_shadowhack,		"1");	// don't model shadows
	Cvar_Set(r_shadedither,		"1");	// don't dither
	Cvar_Set(cl_sbar,			"1");	// use old status bar
	Cvar_Set(d_mipdetail,		"0");	// normal detail
	Cvar_Set(s_underwater,		"1");	// don't sound pitch in water
	Cvar_Set(r_wateralpha,		"0.3");	// don't blend water
	Cvar_Set(r_waterquality,	"1");	// don't do water fx
	Cvar_Set(r_lowworld,		"0");
	Cvar_Set(r_dynamic,			"1");	
	Cvar_Set(cl_diecam,			"3");	
	Cvar_Set(s_gibs,			"1");	
	Cvar_Set(s_playerdeath,		"1");	

fullbrights = 32;	// use the standard colormap fullbrights
	overbrights = 1;	// normal overbrights
	GrabColorMap();		// regenerate colormap
}
i should not be here
qbism

Post by qbism »

Regarding mh gdi+ddraw, it does not actually use gdi out of the box as I recall, even with vid_ddraw= 0. (unless I broke it on original implementation). Also have to verify that inverted buffer for bitblt is used correctly everywhere.
revelator

Post by revelator »

I seem to recall there was some trouble with win9x and gdi and a QFE patch from Microsoft hmm ?.
Might be me remembering wrong but check for gditool i seem to recall it was named something like that.
Productivity is a state of mind.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

It's still lost on me why it doesn't work. The DirectX headers and stuff I have installed with MSVC6 is 7.
i should not be here
r00k

Post by r00k »

Hey peeps,

I recently revived my old Pentuim II 300Mhz, 224 Mb, IBM 300PL, Integrated Chip S3 trio something....
It has Win 98SE, (though I can toss Ubuntu on it)....

My question is how well are the FPS in a basic DOS engine at, say, 640x400?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

That depends if you have write cache combining enabled or not. Give FASTVID a try on that thing and watch Quake.exe fly :D
i should not be here
r00k

Post by r00k »

You cant put a ring in a box!?!

fine 30 fps and ill take that if its not right. ;)

/googles FASTVID... :)
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Also since it's S3 Trio you may want to snag s3vbe20 so you can access the said 640x400 mode as it is VESA 2.0
i should not be here
r00k

Post by r00k »

k thanks... vesa forgot all about that.!
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Committed a fix for those sprites being stretched. Was an artifact of one attempt at making lens reflections which i'll return to later. I wanted to make flares as obnoxious as jDoom/jHeretic/jHexen just for the lols :D

I also committed the Q2 ref_soft 3dfxglish lighting... I still don't want to make yet another fragmenty Quake2 source port so maybe my new stuff can be stuck in r1q2 or Quake2 unofficial patch or something (but not replacing the classic software renderer entirely, just cvar'd). Still gotta fix the awful model lighting and maybe I should regenerate the 18bit table per gamma change... and I tried to make my differences as clean as possible for adaptation.

Image Image

i'm also curious how the qbism colored lighting would look in Q2 in comparison with PowerVR lighting...
i should not be here
qbism

Post by qbism »

One similarity is the affinity for olive green. I wonder if the orange tint of Q2 was in reaction to low-end monitors (and TVs) of the time, which had a hard time with yellow and orange rendition.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

I've released a new version on the site.

It's still buggy as ever though. I just wanted to get this out before the year ended, and I wanted to replace the only 3 year old public release that was sorely out of date.

One thing of note added in this are the flame replacements (r_flamehack 2 to enable) and the chrome metal effect (r_shinygrays 1)
i should not be here
qbism

Post by qbism »

First impression of 277-

Stable with surprisingly good fps in a quick test with a bunch of effects on. All available vid resolutions worked with proper graphics scaling and fov. Water refraction looks incredible with much less vwep smearing and fps cost than previous build. Reflections should suck fps down to 2 then die but does not. Not much fps hit. Only issue is items popping in-and-out of reflection depending on view angle.

Fog dithering is smoother, similar in density to gl_quake engines, and only a 10% FPS hit as compared to 20% for, umm, 'brand X'.Image

Something is strange with the config. One of the settings (not sure which) will cause odd colors when the exe is restarted I couldn't duplicate it every time.Image

engwin can open rubicon2 start map but dropping surfaces. engqsb plays rubicon2 startup demo but crashes on start.

The only thing missing in this fx arsenal is makaqu-style transparent entities, func_wall alpha etc.

opengl Y2K style without losing the sharp softwareiness. Overall a jaw-dropping release.
LordHavoc

Post by LordHavoc »

qbism wrote:Something is strange with the config. One of the settings (not sure which) will cause odd colors when the exe is restarted I couldn't duplicate it every time.
Try typing bf in the console, or pick up an item (thus causing a bonus flash), if it is using an 8bpp video mode then it will break on Windows Vista/7, same as winquake.exe does, you can also change video mode a few times and hope it goes away.

If it's DOS then I have no idea.
qbism

Post by qbism »

LordHavoc wrote:[if it is using an 8bpp video mode then it will break on Windows Vista/7, same as winquake.exe does, you can also change video mode a few times and hope it goes away.
Running in win7 and not an 8bpp video mode. I'll try bf and mode change when I get back to dev comp.

I forgot to mention that deleting the config.cfg and config.rc files created by engoo makes the problem go away on restart. Possibly a bug somewhere in config writing or reading code?