Engoo

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
leileilol

Re: Engoo

Post by leileilol »

That corruption is a 15bpp surfacecache being rendered with a 8bpp drawspans. You must've crossed ultra colored lighting with something. or maybe you're using ultra and theres' a bug that causes it to render with some other spans on startup.

As for fog's FPS hit, I'd think most of the hit is just going from asm spans to the C spans, unless you're comparing the difference between Ultra and Ultra Fogged.
i should not be here
qbism

Post by qbism »

The fog hit I was referring to is span approach (roughly 10% fps cost) vs post-process approach (20% fps cost). 'Post-process' meaning to loop through all the pixels as a separate step to apply an effect, which is a large fixed-cost for performance.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

awesome stuff leilei, working on win7 x64 for me. not sure if you noticed this.

sock

Post by sock »

I really like the look of this engine but I can't run the engine with my MOD ITS. If I use the engwin.exe I run out of edicts and cannot find a way to increase them. max_edicts and host_max_edicts both seem to be missing from the console. I tried engqsb.exe and the map starts to load and then I get

We have malfunction, SZ_GetSpace: overflow without allowoverflow set

Is there anyway to run this engine with more memory (heapsize) and more edicts (max_edicts)?
Well he was evil, but he did build a lot of roads. - Gogglor
Eukara

Post by Eukara »

Anyone built this on X11 yet?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

A little note on anyone porting this to other platforms - OS-specific files for input and video didn't get changes to allow 360 deathcam input and the aspect correction, or even the water buffer. You may not have much luck getting reflectbuffer going on anything that isn't DirectX :(

Yeah, os specific input files are a bit of a stupid way to store things like angle limits and player control, but that's how Quake worked.
i should not be here
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

i should not be here
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Also I never posted about this simple hackup of Quake3 here. I hardly posted things about it because it requires an old computer to truly appreciate it :)
i should not be here
drm_wayne

Post by drm_wayne »

What is that "leiverb" in the SV_StartSound (ForReal)?
Simple Delay / Reverb effect? Does it work?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

No. It was a hack attempt at starting a sound multiple times. because I am an idiot when it comes to Quake's DSP.
i should not be here
drm_wayne

Post by drm_wayne »

ahh ok... i was thinking to add a reverb to my engine (using the reverbcodecode from SOX), but i dont understand one line in there xD
EDIT: doesnt have Mikmod a reverb? MikMod suxx, but maybe the reverb not :lol:
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

sock wrote:Is there anyway to run this engine with more memory (heapsize) and more edicts (max_edicts)?
I just wondered about memory as well. None of -winmem, -mem and -heapsize worked for me using Wine.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

-zone?

Engoo is based on QIP and QIP had some memory management changes... I never actually played with memory parameters for this

also while I do want to play the ambitious maps in the func community, supporting QSB wasn't enough to run most of them and I'm not sure of the scale it would take to port the TyrQuake or BJP Quake's changes of the map loading to make that happen.

I also want my stuff to become a retroarch core someday, but that no linux platform issue hasn't been resolved yet. I even want OA to become a Retroarch core using libretro GL :P
i should not be here