Engoo

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
leileilol

Engoo

Post by leileilol »

Christmas comes early.

IMPORTANT: It is SLOW and requires a PENTIUM 133MHz I hope you HAVE ONE OF THOSE EXPENSIVE THINGS but it is faster than unreal BUT IT IS NOT ASSEMBLIFIED I NEED ASSEMBLY ASSISTANCES if you know how to mov and kick some eax HELP ME

ALSO: multiplayer may be broken.

ALSO: no linux version yet. I personally loathe SDL, so someone else would have to take the adventure of porting this to SDL

ALSO: crashes Prydon if you die so don't die!
i should not be here
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

This engine is cool, and should be noted that this engine will be the recommended software quake engine for future versions of Hellsmash. :)

Some feature suggestions for future versions of this engine:

Weaponmodel -

cl_mirrorweap (or whatever the DP version is) - mirrors weapon model left / right (as a cvar, then code could be made to properly align projectiles)

Sound -

Addition of some new ATTN_ functions as detailed below would be nice:

ATTN_SELF - Plays the sound for the entity emitting the sound, and ONLY the entity emitting the sound. (only useful for clients, but very useful nonetheless.)

ATTN_MUFFLED - Plays a sound muffled. This would also be recommended to automatically happen for sounds occuring in liquids. (i.e. it's very strange for explosions that happen underwater to sound the same as explosions in open air. :wink: )

ATTN_DAMPENED - Volume fixed at 1.0 for the entity emitting the sound, for other entities, the volume is set using the volume field. Good for soundproofed rooms, power suits, gasmasks, etc.

ATTN_FOLLOW - WHEE rocket flyby whooshing!

Centerprint -
Bug - Too many \n's or wall of text results in wierdness in the status bar. (gets overwritten / blanked or something)

This only affects the old status bar, and happens in vanilla winquake too.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Mmmm the boobing! 1 saludo
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
mh

Post by mh »

Yes! :D

I got to play around with an earlier version of this baby, and I must say that it is a damn fine software Quake engine. Highly recommended download.

(Add Windows 7 to the list of platforms it works on too).
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
Baker

Post by Baker »

Hmmm. Very nice ;)

Update: Playing with some of the sound cvars. Severely awesome stuff there.

Noticed GoldQuake's tinting, interpolation, the sound pitching noted above ... use of MH's rewritten API wrapper. Some QIP stuffs.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

:D It sounds and looks amazing.

I'm definitely interested in benchmarking Engoo's colored lighting against vanilla Quake's lighting. Also, its colored lighting looks a lot better than I thought it would be possible in 8-bit, at least in that YouTube video.

The sound effects are awesome too. It should be great for an underwater pitching effect.

I'm completely out of time to test it now, but it looks really tasty and impressive. It's definitely an engine that makes me want to study its entire code.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
qbism

Post by qbism »

Colored lighting is jaw-dropping, especially the color shifting when a yellow dlight passes through a red lit area, and lit light styles- this is what makes it so awesome in 8-bit! The fact that entities and the view model also get colored ties it all together.

I tried r_lightingquality 1 and the framerate did not drop. This picks up more subtlety, like some of the pale green lit slime areas.

I'm searching for a colored lighting "demo map" with a wide variety of colors to see what they look like in Engoo. Any suggestions?
qbism

Post by qbism »

qbism

Post by qbism »

Colored lighting with subtle tones can generate surprising texture variety in 8-bit.

Colored lighting off

Colored lighting on
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

It's fresh, if anything! (specifically commenting on the above screenshot)
Last edited by Sajt on Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
Baker

Post by Baker »

In some ways, it pisses me off there aren't more comments on this engine.

This is some very imaginative engine modding and it just goes to say that the build itself is proof of implementation. What I mean by this is that there is something to be said for talking the talk, and yet walking it without a lot of lip service is, frankly, an act of ego.

Stereo sound, efficient 8-bit palettization, pitch alteration, bobbing cvars [I mean the ones we haven't too much of before] and a plethora of other non-conventional stuff.

This engine is both style and class. And totally non-smug and yet smug. It is smug because it is an actual implementation of some concepts often discussed, but not actually realized prior to this. It is not non-smug because leileilol is a hardcore open sourcer.

Combine them and what you get: utmost respect. Not everyone has the courage to go there, and yet leileilol goes there every time. Do such actions have an impact? They certainly do.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Dr. Shadowborg wrote:cl_mirrorweap (or whatever the DP version is) - mirrors weapon model left / right (as a cvar, then code could be made to properly align projectiles)
The weird cvar of aligning projectiles can't be done as it would break compatibility, and be stupid potential cheating anyway. Makaqu gets around by making scr_ofsy 'legal' to use (the dirty 1996 way of handedness).
Dr. Shadowborg wrote:attn stuff
I'm not a DSP genius, I can't promise any custom low-pass filter. I'd like to have the same too and did think about it though. The least I can probably do is pull a duke - all sounds started underwater having half pitch.
qbism wrote:I tried r_lightingquality 1 and the framerate did not drop.
It shouldn't, but the cvar is there for the sake of CPU cache and memory (It takes a LONG TIME for a 18-bit lookup table to be generated on the fly, and I have the option to skip that already and force 15-bit only)
Sajt wrote:It's fresh, if anything! (specifically commenting on the above screenshot)
The colored lighting was mostly done for curiosity because of the popular conception that any colored lighting done in 8-bit color is a trainwreck to be seen. So far, the only "truly ugly" bits i've witnessed involve red lights in well-lit rooms (lava and red flourescent). So, in exception of base maps which red lighting is bad, this myth is busted.
Baker wrote:Noticed GoldQuake's tinting, interpolation, the sound pitching noted above ... use of MH's rewritten API wrapper. Some QIP stuffs.
Only the sound pitching is valid in this statement. For the record, there is no GoldQuake tinting, there is no interpolation, and MH's vid_win is not used (I only forced ddraw off when WinNT is detected which solves pretty much nearly every modern video card problem with WinQuake). "Some QIP stuffs"? It's based on QIP so it has ALL QIP STUFFS.

Spare the unneccessary sugar-coated brownnosing and hype, I didn't do this for attention and accolades, thanks.
Baker wrote:walking it without a lot of lip service is, frankly, an act of ego..
at this time of year, it's called "christmas"
Baker wrote:Combine them and what you get: utmost respect. Not everyone has the courage to go there, and yet leileilol goes there every time. Do such actions have an impact? They certainly do.
No - all it took is deterimination, the time of a week spent looking at code, a good IDE (msvc6), and a good soundtrack to program to (this is important). Considering earlier this year I was begging for an engine just like this, here's an important lesson for all the little ones out there:

If you want something so bad, DO IT YOURSELF

As for the open source thing, it's a requirement - and if you don't do that, then you're a piece of garbage; your ass don't deserve to 'program' in the same engine much less the same community ... AND THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE CAUSE JOHN CARMACK SAID SO

as for the whole "impact" thing, SiN already tried 8-bit colored lighting in software way back in 1998 - let's just say SiN wasn't remembered for that nor did it change the world and shift up the communities... SiN had a very bad color palette for it anyway (Quake's is much better apparently). Going a year earlier would lead you to 1997's SandWarriors which had colored dynamic lighting cast upon terrain, and 1996 from the same company had Realms of the Haunting, although everything were sprites it still had atmospheric 8-bit colored lighting, and the hammiest canadian video game acting ever.

Colored lighting was hacked up in 1998 in some unreleased TC developed by General WarT and friends by some "top secret" way undisclosed to the community, but presumably just making new rows on the colormap and forcing them somehow. What a waste of time. Later on these guys went to make Call of Duty 1, 2, 4, Modern Warfare 2, and community favorite Laser Arena
i should not be here
MasterSplinter

Post by MasterSplinter »

leileilol wrote: Spare the unneccessary sugar-coated brownnosing and hype, I didn't do this for attention and accolades, thanks.
tee hee :lol:
mh

Post by mh »

leileilol wrote:community favorite Laser Arena
Giggle. :twisted:
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Well, I did some quick tests on this engine.

There are two executables, a "win" one and a "qsb" one. Quake Standards Base?

The "additive" mode used for water is really good, though it doesn't look additive.

I'm not sure how the screen color effects are done in this engine, but some of them (like the quad damage one) looks amazing, while others (like the underwater one) looks broken.

And red lights are really problematic, but they work well on blue textures, since blue + red = purple.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube