Prydon Gates Mod

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
tyrael

Prydon Gates Mod

Post by tyrael »

Yeah! I want to make it! Can I?

Look guys. It will another game universe, maybe Sanctuary, but I not sure. We have wonderful Prydon Gates rpg-system, but all operarions with spells, stats and inventory realesed with keyboard input - and i hate it!
And we have CSQC gui like http://forums.inside3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=2540 or like http://forums.inside3d.com/viewtopic.ph ... s&start=30 + we have CSQC inventory sys like http://forums.inside3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=927
And now! We should just compile all this in one fantastic Role-Playing Game with DarkPlaces Graphic!!!
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

go head. i started work on updating prydon and my partner fell out. so all our work was lost. i still think after you've done what you want, the game will be no good online. i dont think the point and click rpg is the way to go.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

You hate it? :(
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

just the point and click :wink: it was great while playing. but i think something could have been done better with it. maybe something like gothic 2's combat system rather than what it is.
tyrael

Post by tyrael »

FrikaC

I love game! I just don't like keyboard management. It's inconvenient

ceriux

It is sad. And over what you worked? Code, mapping, story, what?

It will be no good online? Ok! I don't want to care about it. I love a good story in games and a rogue-like genre. That's all.
tyrael

Post by tyrael »

Guys! Do you try to launch this http://www.quaketastic.com/upload/files ... toryB1.zip by Chris? Looks like something wrong
with it. The same message on my screen, as at this guy http://forums.inside3d.com/viewtopic.ph ... ght=#31577
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

ceriux wrote: i dont think the point and click rpg is the way to go.
Then what, pray tell is "the way to go"? Not everyone agrees with blatantly copying games. Very few even bother with the Prydon approach to creation anymore. "Being inspired" isn't good enough for some people, hell one of the complaints OA had was that it didn't rip off Q3 enough. There's definitely a "it's a clone or it's nothing at all" mentality among the young people.

Prydon was fun online. This was at a time when Diablo 2 was something #qc couldn't stop playing. LordHavoc still hasn't stopped playing that I think
i should not be here
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

just the whole sky cam point and click. it seemed for one to cause preformance issues esp online. doing something with quakes default over the shoulder 3rd person would be cool. things from gothic include directional combat , better visual equips, nicer stat system which i think would have worked better with quake (maybe not the same one. but similar.) but i dont get how you think im suggesting copying something else. when prydon is as you said known as diablo in quake. at least everytime iv herd it mentioned. i had plans of my own to make an orpg till my pc died the other day... mine would have been first person... creativity is key like you mentioned. idk it just seemed that the gameplay kind of suffered from preformance issues and other things. sorry for the typo's im too lazy to go back and fix them on this net book....
WINGED_DOOM

Post by WINGED_DOOM »

ceriux:
i started work on updating prydon and my partner fell out. so all our work was lost.

Sad that you have stopped that work. I play in prydon now and i want moar
It's by oldskool and i love it :3
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

i would continue but id rather try n make a game like prydon with an aim to run smoother. which would require new game play elements and more. which this has been a pretty hard goal since well my real pc died (which i plan to at least get it operational) on top of that my qc has become extremely rusty i was gone 8 months and never got to touch it.
Chip

Post by Chip »

ceriux wrote:i would continue but id rather try n make a game like prydon with an aim to run smoother. which would require new game play elements and more. which this has been a pretty hard goal since well my real pc died (which i plan to at least get it operational) on top of that my qc has become extremely rusty i was gone 8 months and never got to touch it.
Why don't you take Prydon's Gate source and clean it up, optimize it, rewrite functions, profile QC and make it smoother?

You could then work on DP engine to strip out all unnecessary data and make the game smoother again.

You could call it Prydon's Gate Extended, or Prydon's Gate 2. That would be something!

On a slightly offtopic note (as Prydon is DP dependent), I'm stripping down DarkPlaces in order to optimize it and clean it for my mod/game. You can read all about it here:

http://www.quakewiki.net/stripping-down-darkplaces/
http://www.quakewiki.net/more-darkplace ... dventures/
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

iv actually though about what you just said chip. but in my oppinion i would have taken prydon in a totally different direction. on top of that. i dont know the code well enough. by the time i finished doing what you said it'd more or less be completely different code ne ways. id use things like md3 for the visual equips and things like that. no more point and click above head view. i was thinking more along the lines of 1st or 3rd person. rather than bird eye view. non random weapons (maybe some but not all) idk i would have done things quite differently.

edit: once your done id love to have that stripped down version of DP. as long as it still has frikfile and most of the DP extensions. maybe just rip out most of the "special effects" type things.
metalmodman

Post by metalmodman »

There are a lot of games that can be considered point and click and Prydon has to be one of the coolest mods out there.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

i never said it wasnt cool. im just saying gameplay could be smoother and more enjoyable esp online with out it.
metalmodman

Post by metalmodman »

ceriux wrote:i never said it wasnt cool. im just saying gameplay could be smoother and more enjoyable esp online with out it.
Sorry.

Maybe the point and clicking just needs a little tweaking?
leileilol wrote: LordHavoc still hasn't stopped playing that I think
I don't see his Diablo2 channel any more :(