Eternal War: Shadows of Light - Free

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Xsniper

Re: Eternal War: Shadows of Light - Free

Post by Xsniper »

Wow, just for giggles I decided to do a search for 'xsniper' to see the last things I'd posted and this one came up!

Most of what has been said about Eternal War here is true. Almost all of the game levels were 'borrowed' by the head of Two Guys Software (Mack) and he retextured all of them. I don't know where he got the textures and I didn't know the levels were borrowed until some time late in the development. But yeah you'd have to be a real Quake guru to remember all the public domain (ftp.cdrom.com) type levels that ended up in here and with the retexturing they looked a lot different! It was a fun project and the first game I ever worked really hard on. I spent over a year coding the monsters, weapons, multiplayer bots and just generally everything for this game. You should fire up the multiplayer portal mode sometime, it is something that I came up with which got around the christian 'we can't be killing eachother' thing. You basically fight together against these demon portals that spawn demons continuously until you destroy them. I think you had to destroy a certain amount of portals to win the level. I could never get this mode working with other players connecting to the server (I think there was a bug introduced by the engine code) but there are bots you can spawn to play with on your team which are pretty good.

Tomaz did do the major engine work for a long time but eventually he got burned out as has been said. I took over from there and made some minor changes to allow me to control the HUD graphics from within QC. I added in a little graphic for the alternate fire mode which each weapon in the game has. I think I always mapped this to the right mouse button press. So basically you would toggle between 2 modes each weapon would fire in. In the final release we put 2 engines into the game and the instructions said to use one for 'medium' quality graphics for lower end computers and the other for 'high' quality graphics. The medium quality engine was Tomaz's modified quake engine and the high quality was Telejano (Tei's) engine.

I never saw any money from this game and I don't think Two Guys Software ever made much on it either. I just don't think the christian market embraced it (and there wasn't much of a market anyway). I think TGS released the source code to this too. I definitely encourage taking a look at it! There is a lot of neat stuff in there, all of the monster AI is unique, the weapon functions are unique. I can't remember everything because it has been well over 10 years since I looked at this. But yeah, any questions about it I'm happy to answer. This was very much my game from the coding perspective. I'd love to fix the multiplayer sometime, it was pretty fun playing with bots but I bet with real people it could be a blast! :)
-Xsniper-
Xsniper

Post by Xsniper »

I forgot to mention that Koolio worked with us for a little while too and did the first set of weapons code, I think 4 - 6 weapons or so. And I think that is everybody who was involved in the project.
-Xsniper-
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

The website on the first page seems to be down.