Openning of Darkplaces Wiki

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Openning of Darkplaces Wiki

Post by Error »

http://dpwiki.slipgateconstruct.com/

The wiki is kind of bare right now, and we need help filling in everything. I would love to see this grow into a very useful tool for users interested in learning about Darkplaces and how to use it.

Special thanks goes to Chip for setting this up, and mean_person for doing the logo (VorteX for making it usable).

Thank you.
Teiman

Post by Teiman »

It will be good if a link to it is placed in a convenient location, so more people become aware of his existence and start contributing :-)
Chip

Post by Chip »

Teiman wrote:It will be good if a link to it is placed in a convenient location, so more people become aware of his existence and start contributing :-)
I'm sure it will be announced on QuakeOne, here on Inside3D, and receive a link on the main page.
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

will qc extensions be wikied and documented on?
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

definitely, I'll start on those tonight!

with extensions, I plan on having code examples for all of them also, so if someone wouldn't mind helping, that'd be amazing!
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

I'd probably handle the graphical examples, with illustrations. I'd avoid using Quake media myself to demonstrate.
i should not be here
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

i wish i was home so i could contribute =(
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

I've started the quakec extensions page and will need some help to start filling in the more useful ones that people would want to use.
lth

Post by lth »

Meh, the extensions are straightforward and well-documented. I thought there was a different project detailing all of the engine-specific extensions elsewhere anyway? Why duplicate the effort?
mh

Post by mh »

lth wrote:Meh, the extensions are straightforward and well-documented. I thought there was a different project detailing all of the engine-specific extensions elsewhere anyway? Why duplicate the effort?
Keeping everything in the one place is one reason.

Besides, the extensions are not that well-dcoumented. I've tried implementing a few in my own engine and I can assure you that the quality of the documentation from that perspective is quite lacking. Maybe it's different from a pure QC perspective?
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
Urre

Post by Urre »

Most of them are well documented from a QC perspective, despite what a lot of people say. There are a bunch of quirks which are not extensions, or CSQC, which could use better documented though. It's also lacking in basic examples for a lot of things. Nexuiz does admittedly include examples for most of DP's features, but it's a pretty huge codebase, and you really need to be pretty ace to pick out the important parts if you want to figure out something specific. Nexuiz for example has code for proper CSQC simulation of movetypes, with perfect timing even (which is where I got out of luck), but it doesn't seem straightforward to pick out the parts which do the magic.

What I'd love to see is a project which really advertises DarkPlaces as a game development engine, rather than just a wiki. The project would include lots and lots of examples, easy to use code snippets which do all the boring things for you, like animation systems, animation blending, physics crap, inventory system, shared entities, intuitive entity editing, all kinds of crap...

Although I might sound pessimistic, I'm liking the effort! It can just be really hard to figure out what's relevant to list on the wiki, or where to start...
I was once a Quake modder
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Urre wrote: What I'd love to see is a project which really advertises DarkPlaces as a game development engine, rather than just a wiki. The project would include lots and lots of examples, easy to use code snippets which do all the boring things for you, like animation systems, animation blending, physics crap, inventory system, shared entities, intuitive entity editing, all kinds of crap...
I've planned such a project so many times. My idea was a decent new codebase, a large set of tutorials, all the tools and a set of example maps and models etc packaged up as a game development system.
Apathy Now!
Urre

Post by Urre »

MauveBib wrote:I've planned such a project so many times.
Me too...
I was once a Quake modder
r00k

Post by r00k »

I was just tinkering with DP 1.50 today to get a bare bones look at the 'modding support' side of the engine vs just GFX/networking. :D

I think it would be a noble effort of we spent this summer making a Nexuiz toppler with DarkPlaces, documenting the steps as a stencil mod project sticky. :D
GiffE

Post by GiffE »

Yea we should have some kind of framework where people can easily come in and learn how to make and add their own content.
I'm game for helping out making it. I'll start adding to the wiki though, starting with csqc.