@Dresk: Documentation for Kleshik ?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Dark$oul71 wrote:(everything before "...but back on topic")
It's more about respecting a person's work than about respecting an impersonal law...
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
Dark$oul71

Post by Dark$oul71 »

Sajt wrote:It's more about respecting a person's work than about respecting an impersonal law...
Acknowleged...but bashing on "copyright" all the time because someone put together stuff from other mods to make a new mod which makes a lot of fun and is non-commercial also shows disrespect for the work of the mod's author.

Giving a few "credits" within the mods readme for the corresponding parts will not hurt though. :wink:
Dresk

Post by Dresk »

Dark$soul,

I would indeed love to have a new model for the chaingun. However, at this point, I would want the model to be "high res" like all the other weapon models I have (gathered from various sources that I need to make a credits.txt file for at some point). I scoured the web for quite awhile trying to find a good replacement model, but none really pleased me, so all I have is the stupid offset for the super nailgun.

As for updating Kleshik, yeah, there are some bugs in it (player models have a very odd engine bug where if you switch to one and a player joins, you appear invisible to them, LordHavoc and I looked into it slightly and it seems to be an engine bug) and I definitely need to make a custom menu system. For the menu system I want an artist though, since I want some artsy fartsy graphics to go along with it.

Otherwise the people I used to play Kleshik with have lost interest, thus I lost my buddies for playing Quake1 with, thus my interest in Kleshik has lessened. Like all my works I never completely abandon them, especially when it comes to bugs, but I need to be "refreshed" somehow to start implementing new features again.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Dresk wrote:[...] my interest in Kleshik has lessened. Like all my works I never completely abandon them, especially when it comes to bugs, but I need to be "refreshed" somehow to start implementing new features again.
I am using Kleshik for my unnamed ChipQuake experiment. It's an experiment for a standalone game, based on DP and Kleshik. So far, I've been cleaning up Kleshik to keep only what I need, the modularization and CSQC examples in there are great.

It's a perfect base for doing more. I've added many new stuff, new entities, new weapons, moved things to separate files, and so on.

I'm trying to reduce it to my game necessities and implement new stuff into QC, then move it to CSQC. I'll move on to add physics, bots and some secret features :twisted:

MY OPINION ON KLESHIK is to keep on working on it as a STANDALONE game, not as an alternate dpmod. It's got HUGE potential. I like hi res graphics and fancy effects, but then again, it's just showing off Darkplaces' capabilities.

Kleshik is a work of art and it needs more recognition.
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
Dark$oul71

Post by Dark$oul71 »

Dresk,

thank you for your reply. Sorry I didn´t reply earlier but I was a few days out of town without access to www.
I´m sorry that you have lost you buddies for playing Kleshik. Honestly I would die for having other "quakers" to play Kleshik in a bigger group online. Most of my friends rather like to play more "modern" shooters such as MW, TF2, L4D2 and so on.
I could hardly convince them to play Kleshik with me.

The bugs you have mentioned seem to be solely related to multiplayer gaming. Since I only play alone I do not know any of them.
I would like to second the opinion of Chip that Kleshik is very unique between all those coop mods avaible (e.g. SDQuake, Monsterhunt for UT, Last man standing for Doom3).
None of them produces the intense atmosphere which Kleshik does. I would be very sorry if Kleshik isn´t enhanced any further although I can hardly critisize anything beside the chaingun model I´ve mentioned.
While I understand your search for perfection I think that even a simpler model (similar to the chaingun in Quake2) would do a nicer job than the repositioned super nailgun but this is of course only my limited point of view.

One thing (for me as mostly single player) which would be pretty high on a imaginary wish list for Kleshik would be bot support similar to SDQuake.

@Chip: If you need test players for your "Kleshik ChipQuake" then let me know :D

I am not shure how Kleshik could be converted to a standalone game unless you remove a lot of enemies. For me a big plus of Kleshik is the ability to play both missions packs with all enemies in there. I think a standalone version of Kleshik would be a lot of work to do if one chooses to stay close to the gameplay of the "addon Kleshik".
Chip

Post by Chip »

Dark$oul71 wrote:I am not shure how Kleshik could be converted to a standalone game unless you remove a lot of enemies. For me a big plus of Kleshik is the ability to play both missions packs with all enemies in there. I think a standalone version of Kleshik would be a lot of work to do if one chooses to stay close to the gameplay of the "addon Kleshik".
I am moving away from the Kleshik idea. I'm just using it for the CSQC implementation and the modularity of QC.

Regarding testing, I still have lots of work to do until it would be ready for some testing.
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

For a forum with barely any artists to speak of, there sure is a strong push for standaloning everything with original art, underestimating the strong 'lax' nature of the forum here, with our standard "released when we feel like it" ETAs, in contrast to the huge scope of such planned ideas, forgetting that this is a forum made for Quake mods, and a demand to go standalone is like saying "fuck Quake's shitty brown atmosphere, no one will ever play it unless it was a free game"

I'm not a magic model factory.
i should not be here
Dark$oul71

Post by Dark$oul71 »

@dresk:
One last idea on the chaingun model:
Why not taking the "machinegun" model of openarena ?
It´s some kind of minigun, IMO pretty high res and available for free. Have a look at this mod video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdhHAIellog

@leileilol:
I fully agree with you on this one.
While I have extreme respect of any mod author I also think that it is a huge aim to (re)create a game / game content from scratch. For example making Kleshik a standalone game which provides the same athmosphere translates to me to recreate all the models, maps, sounds and textures from quake plus both (!) mission packs. Even for a big team of motivated and skilled artists, developers, modelers and so on this is a big undertaking.

To me openarena is a good example on this one:
While it´s still fun to play and has high quality stuff it still lacks the original Q3A feeling to me.
Killer of noobs

Re: @Dresk: Documentation for Kleshik ?

Post by Killer of noobs »

I remember something involving alt-fires for the weapons (the shotgun had some sniper-esque alt fire iirc) in earlier versions. I think this got removed. What gives?