Playable mapgen - randomly-generated maps

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
leileilol

Re: Playable mapgen - randomly-generated maps

Post by leileilol »

What if you force "fog" with findradius and only show the brush entities you can 'see' (in a voidy, non-vised map)? Would that be better for handling large procedural maps in more legacy engines?
i should not be here
Spike

Post by Spike »

if you're fine with excluding coop or deathmatch players, I guess you could.
Nahuel

Post by Nahuel »

:D
Last edited by Nahuel on Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
hi, I am nahuel, I love quake and qc.
qbism

Post by qbism »

Fog- match fog density with farclip? Should work with multiplayer, it works with bots. In an engine w/o fog, figure likely maximum distance to a corner. Maybe not great with a voidy map, bot any map of this sort will be rough on a legacy engine, anyway. Other ideas to improve performance-
Use Skip texture on back faces w/ supporting compiler or remove skip tool.
Larger tiles and smaller max tile value. Instead of individual 1x1 grid sections, think of 2x2 or 3x3 grid prefabs with several combo variations.

Does vis actually work within mostly enclosed map sections? (Does vis 'copy' or 'translate'?) I always wondered this for large complex plats as well.

Simple funcs work well with mapgen like emitters and func_walls. But I had trouble with doors and triggers. Doors copy but wind up in space. And I'm guessing typical engine can't handle a copied trigger (and target).
Nahuel

Post by Nahuel »

uhhg i did edit my request :(
Sorry for the OT, but about the fog in darkplaces : do you know what is the "heigt texture" ?, can i change the height texture for the fog with a custom texture? how can do this?
hi, I am nahuel, I love quake and qc.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

When I said "fog" i do not mean renderer fog. I meant a QC-powered serverside clipping distance in which it would hide away far brush entities that are not being sent to a client.
i should not be here
qbism

Post by qbism »

leileilol wrote:When I said "fog" i do not mean renderer fog. I meant a QC-powered serverside clipping distance in which it would hide away far brush entities that are not being sent to a client.
sv_cullentities with an added distance factor should work, although an engine mod rather than qc.
Discussion related- http://forums.inside3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=1291
qbism

Post by qbism »

I've been experimenting with larger tiles, 640x640. Each has three 'channels' or tunnels. One tunnel is at a lower level. The tiles are big enough for paths to cross-over, which breaks-up dead-end patterns and ideally would create a more interesting and organic environment. Fewer quantity of tiles are required which improves rendering speed/ culling.

The downside is lighting. Model shading looks to the world lightmap for brightness (and color for modded engines) but the world model is a void or generic open space. The only solution I've found is spawning dynamic lights (which appear in rt lighting engines only) and these have to be used sparsely to avoid massive slowdown.

As appealing as 'instant generation' is, I think a pre-generated option similar to what LH once explored may be a better option. It solves lighting and culling issues and allows tweaking of the map file before creating the bsp.