Fimg 2

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Fimg 2

Post by FrikaC »

New release is up:

http://www.inside3d.com/frikbot/fimg/fimg_v02.zip

This is mostly a backport of some of the Quaded code and an update to the new version of DevIL - mostly to get rid of the flipping issue (hopefully). Thanks to c0burn and Lardarse for doing some super quick testing.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

gietng
i should not be here
c0burn

Post by c0burn »

Thank you for this. I can now edit gfx.wad and texture wads without having to use old stuff like adquedit/wally/texmex.

Yay
c0burn

Post by c0burn »

Couple of small bugs:

The loading progress bar seems to stay there after loading is complete (and not be 100%?). This is with wad files, not tested anything else.

If you close it maximised, and reopen, it's not maximised, but it's saved the window size, so it goes offscreen.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Ah, I hastily rewrote the progress stuff last night. Good catch. I think I'll also save the window state instead of just the size. Put on the todo.
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

sweet..
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

Hint: Users who wish to run Fimg under wine have to download and install Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Runtime components.

http://download.chip.eu/de/download_de_1295944.html

Fimg is a nice app, especially for working with .lmp files (gfx.wad). For working with textures, I prefer Wally.

I'd like to see simple painting tools in Fimg, for drawing sprites.
Baker

Post by Baker »

I read this:
I would but FIMG doesnt work on Win7 so i could only do it on my desktop
Source of post:

http://www.solitudegame.byethost6.com/i ... 937.0.html

I don't have Windows 7 so I don't know if this is true, but I wanted to post it in this thread so the info is here.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
c0burn

Post by c0burn »

It works fine on windows 7, so I have no idea what that post is talking about.
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

..I 2nd that. It works fine on Win7 32/64bit.
c0burn wrote:It works fine on windows 7, so I have no idea what that post is talking about.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Fimg 2 is *really* good. It really takes the pain out of a number of previously aggravating tasks. For instance, making .lmp files and I have been told it can even make colormaps for palettes for software renderers.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Baker wrote:I have been told it can even make colormaps for palettes for software renderers.
(And if it can't, you can always use QME)
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Sajt wrote: (And if it can't, you can always use QME)
I prefer doing it manually by using some layers in a painting program, you insensitive clod!
i should not be here
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Yes actually, I've done that before too! (To make a Q2-style full colormap for alpha or additive blending, for example)
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Bug report! I loaded a .mip file and tried to save as pcx. First of all, when I selected 'pcx' it didn't automatically fill in the extension, which I didn't notice. I hit save, and got a funny alert box saying something along the lines of "No file extension. I don't know what to do now and I'm lost." So I tried again, this time filling in the .pcx extension myself. Fimg proceeded to create a file... then kept writing who knows what to it. The file (a 64x64 texture) grew to 10 MB, 20 MB, 50 MB... then I killed the process. Not sure what was going on there! I ended up just taking a screenshot of the texture in the Fimg window and repalettizing it in Paint Shop Pro.

As a side note, that oldschool white-with-light-grey-crisscrosses background around the image is too bright. It makes a lot of Quake textures just look black in comparison. You should use a darker background, grey at least.