Fimg 2

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

..That 1st part you mention has been a know issue for some time now, back to 2008. I've brought it up a few times at least in IRC a few years ago. Its still there it seems... http://quake.dragncore.com/

Sajt wrote:Bug report! I loaded a .mip file and tried to save as pcx. First of all, when I selected 'pcx' it didn't automatically fill in the extension, which I didn't notice. I hit save, and got a funny alert box saying something along the lines of "No file extension. I don't know what to do now and I'm lost." So I tried again, this time filling in the .pcx extension myself.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Weird. PCX saving is through DevIL currently, so it's their bug. I need to get the version out that has DevIL removed, it now only supports a handful of image formats, but they are all less buggy.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

You could use my PCX saver, it's really short and as far as I can tell compliant and bug-free. (BTW, I forgot if Fimg is open-source or not, so I'll say this is public domain since I'm the only author.)

http://svn.icculus.org/qshed/trunk/qwal ... iew=markup
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Sajt wrote:As a side note, that oldschool white-with-light-grey-crisscrosses background around the image is too bright. It makes a lot of Quake textures just look black in comparison. You should use a darker background, grey at least.
Older versions had a dark gray background for precisely that reason, but I changed that recently because I had to deal with images that were nearly that color gray and it was impossible to see the edge. Patterns make it really easy to spot edges particularly because they don't change when you magnify.
sock

Re: Fimg 2

Post by sock »

I know this is dragging up an old thread but a friend of mine recommended I use Fing because I have had so many problems with Adquedit creating sprites for Quake. I downloaded the latest version (link at top of this thread) but I found a couple of issues:

* The default is not a Quake palette, I did not understand why my sprites were wacky colours until I had to fix the palette. This is also a problem if you load an existing Quake sprite (first frame is the right palette), it then saves the whole sprite with a wacky palette which is not good.
* The zoom feature should be linked to the mouse wheel. Most applications do this and the frame forward/back is already linked to cursor keys, don't need to waste mouse wheel on this.
* Cannot import large quantity of animation frames. Anything more that 16 frames and the program just ignores the request. Probably an extreme example but I am creating sprites with 100+ frames and I would love if I could just import a complete directory of pcx files.
* Cannot assign existing frames to groups easily. I had an existing sprite (100+ frames) and wanted to assign groups to all the different frame sets, but could not work out a quick way to do it.
* Really could do with shortcut keys for the animation append/import options, having to go to the menu's to find the options is frustrating.
Well he was evil, but he did build a lot of roads. - Gogglor