Rants

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Chip

Rants

Post by Chip »

New FitzQuake version is online. DarkPlaces was released a while ago, and minor alpha/beta versions keep appearing in the SVN. DirectQ is also releasing pretty often. Ever since I started the project for Eternal, a Quake Total Conversion (and maybe a totally new game), I've been watching the engine competition to see which one is the most fit for my game.

It seems that the Quake1 world is stalling. New maps keep getting released, and traditional Quake fans are quite happy. I'm quite happy myself, and with every good map released, I relive the good ol' Quake days. Its world is fantastic, and raises some weird feelings that make me feel secure inside a base or medieval map. I would like to see a Quake1-based finished project. With all the bells and whistles. But that's outside my subject. Oh well, what's the subject of this anyway?

So, I started the game with a world in mind. A science-fiction world from one of Serge Brusollo books. With a little influence from my imagination, the game world seemed pretty deep and interesting. What I was looking for in all the engines was atmospherics: shadows (either hard or soft), skyboxes, fog, and large BSP limits for lots of details. Also I'm trying to implement cables, pipes, and other custom made models. With a little work, everything seems possible.

However, I always get distracted and start mapping various stuff other than maps for the game. For example I have two unfinished projects: my neighbourhood and my home. I eventually get back to the game, but lack of people, deadlines and a precise image of the level make me always add or remove or change its appearance. And I'm never content with the level. I'll probably have to say "No" and give the level away for beta-testing. In-house testing.

I'll keep you posted with my Eternal project. I hope it will not turn into an Eternal project (literally).

You can see the full version here: http://www.butterflymedia.ro/studios/
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.