Additional Quake Player Animations?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Definitely a plasma gun, though it could also be for a ridiculous shotgun, or a hyper-sonic high yield rocket launcher (the sort that would stab right through a shambler and keep on going - maybe reach deep into shub, and explode her from the inside, severing her in half...).

This is all good stuff, I hope this sets a standard for Quake model remakes, as it actually feels like Quake to me - you didn't "reinterpret" any of it with the excuse of a low poly base, but rather, just made the Quake guy again.

Now if only we could get some drama shots of him in various poses with different guns in maps with some rtlights going on....
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
Electro

Post by Electro »

Cheers :)

Yeah I'm sure once he's animated someone can get pics of him realtime lit in maps. There will be lots of animations to choose from if I can actually do all the ones people have listed. Will take me quite a while though! I'll just focus on getting the default animation set done first of course, then do a release with that. Then do a 2nd release that is a bunch of additional animations that should be good for modders :D
Benjamin Darling
http://www.bendarling.net/

Reflex - In development competitive arena fps combining modern tech with the speed, precision and freedom of 90's shooters.
http://www.reflexfps.net/
MeTcHsteekle

Post by MeTcHsteekle »

Electro wrote: There will be lots of animations to choose from if I can actually do all the ones people have listed.
you don't have to do the "onfire" ones, i don't think anyone will use it

bah
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

that or a flame thrower kinda, i think it could be used for all sorts of types of weapons.
Urre

Post by Urre »

Electro: something which would help the community even more, and although I know it's not common practice for artists, would be if you released the source files for the model(s). This would include but not be limited to things such as the skeleton for animation, photoshop files for skins and high-poly models. Imagine being able to convert the model to any and all the supported formats of various Quake engines, as well as future formats. Not only that, but be able to expand on the animations, or add to his appearance, basing new characters on him and so forth.

Why I'm asking is because as I understand it, you're already planning to release it on such a basis that people can use it in their mods and redistribute it, so I figured the step towards opensourcing it wouldn't be too big.

Would you consider it, I'd recommend a mixed license, similar to Twig, which allows using it in closed source projects as long as they're non-profit, but also allows converting it to an opensource license which protects the opensource status (GPL) but not one which doesn't (BSD) because otherwise it could be sold closed-source.

Think about it ;)
I was once a Quake modder
Electro

Post by Electro »

Urre: This is something that I will give serious thought to after the model has served some time in my portfolio.

A lot of things that people don't realise when it comes to next-gen assets and source data is how huge it is, and how much work they are (even moreso to modify in some cases).

People can't expect to be able to move some verts on the model to change proportions or just make a buldge and slap a texture on it and think they'll have a backpack. It completely breaks the normalmaps, even moving the vertices the slightest will throw off the normalmap and there will be weird results.

So to allow people to edit it fully, they would need all the original high poly source assets. To give you a rough idea of filesize alone (not to mention needing the hardware to run it) ... my q1ranger folder is around 4.2gb. This includes 3 (diffuse/normal/spec) photoshop psd files that weigh in around 40mb each. The other bulk of large files is from max high poly and mudbox (these are the main culprit).

When it comes time to do a release of a package though, it'll most likely just be a kind of animation package. Which will include the final low poly (heh, 10k) character, with the rig that can be animated. This will of course include all the animations I did so people could use those as a base to work from.

Ah the pitfalls of 'next-gen' (current gen).

I wish I got into the games industry a lot sooner.. making art for the original quake stuff would have been a breeze and so fast compared to all this mumbo jumbo. :)

Short answer: Yes, just wait a while. ;)
Benjamin Darling

Reflex - In development competitive arena fps combining modern tech with the speed, precision and freedom of 90's shooters.
r00k

Post by r00k »

Nice work! Looking good!
I wish I got into the games industry a lot sooner.. making art for the original quake stuff would have been a breeze and so fast compared to all this mumbo jumbo
Soap Box engaged:

True, but the point of most people even doing anything remotely useful in Quake 1 is to add to their portfolio. So as it would be a good 40 hours work to crank out a player model with the same polycount as the normal player model (give or take), which would be great for most purists, it wont happen because everyone wants to overkill the media instead of just making it usefully viable :|
Soap Box Disengaged:

But, on the plus side in time the community will have a better looking player model than quake 3 ! Woot! Keep up the good work Electro, can't wait for the finished product! Currently I've been using Moo's md3 player model, and have dynamic colored teamskins working perfectly. Hopefully your model will fit seemlessly aswell :D
Jay Dolan

Post by Jay Dolan »

I'm really pleased to hear that you'll be including the Quake2 frame sequences. This guy will absolutely be making an appearance as the default model in Quake2World. Truly awesome work, and I commend you on making it available to the entire community.
Electro

Post by Electro »

Jay Dolan: hah yep cool :)

r00k: hopefully it works easily, yep! :P

Here's a small update, sorry for the lack of updates been busy with moving house and working a heap on pro-x for an upcoming clan arena tournament.

My guy is slightly taller than the original because he's not rigged (and thus not posed with bent knees etc) yet.

Benjamin Darling

scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

All this shows is that the original Quake Guy has no respect for authority! Look at that posture, hes not at attention at all!

Conveniently this lack of respect for authority is why he was late for work one morning, and thus wasn't Gruntified by Shub, and thus survived. Therefore, your Quake Guy will die a sudden and violent death followed up by Shub-possession!
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
MeTcHsteekle

Post by MeTcHsteekle »

quoth the scar3crow; "nevermore"
bah
Jay Dolan

Post by Jay Dolan »

Bump -- any updates on this Electro? :)
Electro

Post by Electro »

*dusts off ancient thread*

Here's a quick "update" (I setup a dx9 shader and took realtime viewport pics, not a render this time around)

I wasn't going to finish this, because my life is so hectic I don't have the time to justify working on it. That is, until Mr. Jay Dolan came along (of http://jdolan.dyndns.org/quake2world/) to offer me some money to work on finishing it up, rigging and animation.

For his purposes he only needs the Quake2 animation set, minus death animations. So that's what I'll be doing! He intends to include it with the Q2W release, which is GPL.

I've done some quick tests, and even with md3, the precision is garbage. So it'll most likely be implemented with IQM in Q2W or some kind of skeletal format. The amount of data and precision loss etc. is just simply no good using any of the vertex animation based formats.

It's up to Jay as to whether or not I include the .dae collada file or not. That'd let other people come along and do additional animations. Truth be told though, unless that exports all the handles and additional things like IK setup etc., it's just going to be painful to work with. We'll see what happens.

In all honestly, I don't remember the model being as bad when I was slapping it together at the time, but opening it recently I'm kind of embarrassed with the quality of it, and could do much better these days. Kind of a sad, disappointing truth, but I really do NOT have the means to justify the time to make it all over like I'd very much love to (along with all quake models for that matter).

I guess all I can hope for is that others aren't as disappointed when they ultimately get to see it in-game.
Benjamin Darling

frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Oh boy, this looks terrific! Too bad you won't work more on it. : :cry:
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Is he foaming at the mouth??
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.