Modeling Forum

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.

Please state one of the stances on a modeling forum, or select Other and specify in a response

Poll ended at Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:49 am

I would like a modeling forum
57%
I would contribute significant posts to a modeling forum
13%
I would contribute tutorials to a modeling forum
4%
I am fine with a modeling forum, but am not interested
17%
I am opposed to a modeling forum
9%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 23

scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Modeling Forum

Post by scar3crow »

Since there has been much discussion for a modeling forum here on inside3d, I figured I would put it to a poll, and since inside3d is not a democracy, but a hierarchical oligarchy, I mean a survey.

I'm running this for a week, that should be long enough to get a sense. I'm fine with such, but ultimately the call is Frik's, but I would like to hear other's takes on it.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

Personally, on top of my interest in seeing people who actually know what they're doing (read: not me) when they model help others and post tutorials, what I'd be looking forward is seeing this possible new section of the forums be transformed into a virtual "repository" for models people could use. I would totally digg posts listing the various models used by old (or not so old) mods which we could use, together with screenshots, of course. That's something I could also contribute to from time to time.
Oh, and... please don't stone me for blatantly suggesting model-stealing :P
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

100% for this. And as an admin (though not very active anymore) I think I should get another vote :P

I kid.
MeTcHsteekle

Post by MeTcHsteekle »

i need to make a request for a gask mask and a gass mask view model
like it blocks the view, like in Rise Of The Triad. i know it can be done because StealthQuake used something like this for the flashing of frightened images

something like the mf12 model
http://www.ironwolfent.com/graphics/GAS-MASK1.jpg
http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbi ... s_Mask.jpg
bah
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

MeTcHsteekle wrote:i need to make a request for a gask mask and a gass mask view model
like it blocks the view, like in Rise Of The Triad. i know it can be done because StealthQuake used something like this for the flashing of frightened images

something like the mf12 model
http://www.ironwolfent.com/graphics/GAS-MASK1.jpg
http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbi ... s_Mask.jpg
If you're talking about a sp mod, the easiest way to go is attaching an entity to the player and setting the entity model with a sprite with the mask goggles, I guess. For multiplayer use it's a bit more complicated, I think CSQC could be the best option.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

i'm opposed to it because it'd be just another ghost forum
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

I was wondering who had voted against it... It's ironic it should be someone who actually is in such a good position to contribute to it, like you, Lei... (is that one of your creations I see as an icon, there? :P)
I understand the possible scepticism as to whether or not such sub-forum would see a lot of activity or not but I feel that, if you look at how many posts on various parts of this forum do directly relate to modelling (and that includes many of your own posts, Lei), there are reasons to be optimistic that it will serve some purpose. Personally, I also believe that it will draw attention to a sector that has always been (I feel) the Achilles' heel of our community and, who knows, even maybe make it a place for new people to join us. We have a QC coding section, a mapping section, a engine coding section... it is actually surprising that we have never had any modeling section up.
And it can't be worse than our OpenGL programming section, can it? As a matter of fact, if what we care about is not making the whole thing look too clustered, we could get rid of that one and replace it by the new modeling section... I'm sure we'll do better than a single thread ;)
I don't know if this is possible, but one could even imagine taking all the older posts specifically dedicated to modelling and move them there. I don't mind hunting those older posts down.
Last edited by CocoT on Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Looking in general discussion, the first 2 pages of results have a total of 12 model related threads depending of what counts as model related.

As a note, Ceruix has partially written up a tutorial on how to convert models from Milkshape and I believe has some sort of semi-tutorial on how he uses Quark to help.
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

Baker, I was almost tempted to write a note about you in my previous post. I must admit I was a little ticked off when you kept referring to TransloQuake has looking a little crappy because of the use of old models but, once the dust settled, I felt that you do have a point and that your instance on trying to confront that lack and trying to fix it is definitely a good thing. Trying to create some impetus here can only be beneficial and, well, if it only works for a little while, then be it... I personally appreciate your recent involvement in posting here and crafting tutorials, I think it's great :)
Baker

Post by Baker »

CocoT wrote:Baker, I was almost tempted to write a note about you in my previous post. I must admit I was a little ticked off when you kept referring to TransloQuake has looking a little crappy because of the use of old models but, once the dust settled, I felt that you do have a point and that your instance on trying to confront that lack and trying to fix it is definitely a good thing. Trying to create some impetus here can only be beneficial and, well, if it only works for a little while, then be it... I personally appreciate your recent involvement in posting here and crafting tutorials, I think it's great :)
I wasn't trying to offend, I was trying to think of how to resolve an issue. I wasn't trying to single you out, I was also going in the line of thought of that you had expressed interest in your mod being a total conversion.

I've learned that it is nearly impossible to not offend (a weakness of plain text as a communications medium), so I try to rely on the understanding that anyone who knows me that this is never my intent.

A worse crime than unintentionally offending someone is being silent and not raising issues, which doesn't move anything.

As a rule of thumb: the only people who don't make mistakes are the ones who never do anything. :D

I plan to make a great many mistakes in the future, just like I have in the past. 8)
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

Oh, that's ok, I mean, you didn't really offend me, you just put your fingers on something that was a little painful, hehe :P
Your recent posts have been great additions to the discussions, and I'm looking forward to more ;)

Now, what does FrikaC think about the idea of this modeling section? Scar, do you know?
Electro

Post by Electro »

I voted, "I would contribute tutorials to a modeling forum"

I could teach people at least the basics of modeling and texturing so that they can make new weapons/pickups for their mods. Probably video tutorials.
Benjamin Darling
http://www.bendarling.net/

Reflex - In development competitive arena fps combining modern tech with the speed, precision and freedom of 90's shooters.
http://www.reflexfps.net/
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

I do not know Frik's stance on the issue, he is busier at HH than I am at GG. (anyone here employed by an II or an FF?)

Electro - Thus far serious support seems rather minor, if there isn't a strong push for such a forum, would you be interested in creating such content for the i3d front page?
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

scar3crow wrote:Thus far serious support seems rather minor
At this point, 15 people out of 19 have said either they would like one such section, or would contribute "significant" posts and/or even post tutorials...That's really not that bad! (even though I confess it's not - number wise - representative of all the members. You and Frik might wait a little longer still before deciding)
I wonder who the other person who voted against it might be... (one of our members who likes *cough* *cough* to adopt various web personae, maybe?), even though everyone is free to have his/her opinion, of course. I'm just interested in hearing what can be the real "cons" of this...
Maybe we could invite people to come and vote via a news item on the main page? I would do it, but, since I'm pushing for this, I don't want to look like I'm misusing the front page. Would it be a proper news post, Scar, or would you rather not?
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

*bump*