Introduction Thread

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
MasterSplinter

Post by MasterSplinter »

Ranger366 wrote:
MasterSplinter wrote:Hello.
I have a feeling... hmm.. i think that we both will have a lot of fun.
I like your avatar.
Thank you :)

I intend of having a lot of fun! The more the merrier!!

I happen to enjoy making avatars... esp. avatars that do unexpected things...
Hazematman

Post by Hazematman »

I've been around the forum for a little while now (almost a year) and thought it was just about time to formally introduce myself.

Hello, my name is Lucas Fryzek, I use Hazematman/Haze for alot of things online, it was a small thing my cousin and I made along time ago (incase anyone is wondering I know it says Haze not Haz that was intentional). I am 14 years old, and I found out about quake around a year-ish ago. Well I had quake since I can remember , my dad just never let me play it, and when he finally did I couldn’t find out how to get it to run since the cd came with the dos version and I had windows xp. When the dvd drive broke on my xbox 360, I started to resort to pc gaming, starting with Half-life and half-life modding (never got anything done really except for mapping and modeling). Later I started to read about how the source code for quake was released as gpl, and that got me really interested in it because I really wanted to try to make a game. Then I found out about darkplaces and using it I finally got quake running and I just loved the game from the start.

And thats my very long story of how I found out about quake, or more like how I found out how to run quake :P

Oh and when I stated to resort to pc gaming I started to learn about pc programming and that got me started in half life modding. Then when I moved over to quake I found it a heck of alot easier and more fun to play around with the source code in quake, and that made me stick with quake along with the fact quake is alot of fun to play.

just a side note: Something I really like about quake is that I can almost play it on anything, I have it on my pc,wii,xbox(classic) and my psp
Frenzy

My Introduction

Post by Frenzy »

Hi, I'm Frenzy. I am a virgin to QuakeC, and as of recent have become interested in teaching myself, and learning from the help of this site. More or less, I will just be reading, reading, reading, not getting in the way of the flow, and practicing my own little things. I, as well as Inside3d, have been around since the beginning of time (Quake).

The biggest thing I've contributed to the community that's been of any help is a whole bunch of LOC's that hadn't been done before. As well, through all the years of R00k's testing, I've been there to be a guinea pig, and watched R00k fuck a Shambler and give birth to Qrack. I've given a lot of input through beta testing of mods, etc, but as far as coding, engine development, or anything along those lines, I am, as I said, a virgin.

I consider it an honor to be able to be around such a humble community, and look forward to new relationships within this site.

I still play Netquake 3wave CRCTF/CA/DM/RA/RUNEQUAKE myself. Nice meeting you all.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

Frenzy: Oh please get in the way of the flow... :D We encourage it. Anything you need help with, whether you think it silly or not, don't be afraid to ask. Anyways, it's good to have you on board.
Frenzy

Post by Frenzy »

I fully intened to get in the way of the flow of Quake believe me, I'm a hardcore "finisher" meaning, once I start something, I only have one option: to finish. So, as of now, I'm going to start learning QuakeC, guess what that means?
MasterSplinter

Re: My Introduction

Post by MasterSplinter »

Frenzy wrote: I've been there to be a guinea pig, and watched R00k f*** a Shambler and give birth to Qrack.

Image Image

Image Image
Last edited by MasterSplinter on Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frenzy

Re: My Introduction

Post by Frenzy »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Baker

Post by Baker »

Frenzy wrote:I fully intened to get in the way of the flow of Quake believe me, I'm a hardcore "finisher" meaning, once I start something, I only have one option: to finish.
Hey Frenzy!
Frenzy wrote:So, as of now, I'm going to start learning QuakeC, guess what that means?
Lots of learning and a big initial learning curve.

First:

0. Grab fteqccgui.exe [ http://www.quake-1.com/files/sourcecode ... ogs106.zip ] and progs 1.06 source code [ http://sourceforge.net/projects/fteqw/f ... p/download ] .

1. Get a decent text editor. I use TextPad but there are a lot of them out there. http://www.textpad.com/ RocketGuy (Mr. RQuake guy) uses TextPad.

Second:

Probably do this tutorial by MauveBib:

http://www.electronicliberationfront.co ... s/tut1.htm

Third:

Learning any of the Quake modding stuff is going to at times make you feel like an idiot. And you will have questions that make you feel stupid. Ask them anyway. It is part of the normal learning process.

I still have plenty of stupid questions from time to time and I'd like to think I do know some things.

You should strongly consider doing a tutorial or 2:

http://www.inside3d.com/tutorials.php

Finally a couple of hints ...

1. Learning QuakeC isn't a fast process. It requires a bit of dedication and patience and you'll learn about the limits and the handful of quirks.

2. As leileilol here said once "QuakeC is all next thinks" and is all about the entities.

3. In Quake single player, type "edict 1" in the console or "edicts" --- this is the information stored about each entity. Things that are entities: everything that isn't the non-moving part of map --- i.e., players are entities, shamblers, moving rockets, doors and lifts.

Look in this for common source codes that pertain to multiplayer:

http://quake-1.com/quakec-gallery/

Like http://quake-1.com/quakec-gallery/xctf_100f-src.zip and http://quake-1.com/quakec-gallery/crctf28k-src.zip and http://quake-1.com/quakec-gallery/casrv13-src.zip (some of these may only compile from frikqcc 2.5 due to "qccx hacks")

Just for clarity:

QuakeC is the language of game logic, like RuneQuake or Clan Arena or Capture The Flag. It is compiled into a progs.dat

The Quake engine like Qrack is written in real C. Not C++, but ... well .. DirectQ is written in C++. But anyways the engine has nothing to do with QuakeC.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Frenzy

Post by Frenzy »

Hey Baker :) (I joined Inside3d because of you and R00k)

Thanks for this. I figured you'd be happy to hear I'm coming to the other side :P I'm off to read. :)

EDIT: I am now through the initial steps of this that you posted Baker, and have officially changed my welcome message for the server! This marks the day of my first QuakeC modification ever. What a step Frenzy, what a step! haha, I am happy though, this really doesn't look that hard to my brain. Wooohoo I look forward to the challenges

I do intend to get into engine development and more, but I figure I'll loosely get comfortable with QuakeC before moving onto straight C
Seven

Post by Seven »

Hello,
I am Seven and registered here in 2007, but never really introduced myself (I took a family pause from 2008 till 2010).
I live in Germany and therefore have difficulties understanding/writing english sometimes.
But not as much as understanding/writing QC :)
I am a very beginner in qc, but seeing how much power it has and what can be done with it, keeps me reading the great TUT´s here and working on my own small modifications.

Maybe some of you know me from quakeone.com.
I like the DarkPlaces engine, because of its huge replacement-files support and I am working hard in creating replacements for it (mainly effects-related).
Some of them are really nice to look at, but knowing that inside3D has a totally different opinion regarding replacements, I stop writing about it.

The most impressive thing about inside3D (as well as quakeone) are the kind and helpful people here.
Sometimes newbs like me are too shy to ask things, but if we do, the answer will be given within no time.

Kind regards,
Seven
ajay

Post by ajay »

Seven; your English is better than many, many English people.
ricaluanna

HELLO

Post by ricaluanna »

GLAD to be here!!:D
enhance lashes the natural way with idol lash.Check this site out.It's all about affiliate marketing.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Seven; your English is better than many, many English people
seconded and im from denmark so im not exactly an expert, but i had a few english people ask me where in UK i was from when i worked on a summer job :lol:
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Your English far outpaces my German, but my German is largely from listening to Rammstein...

Welcome nonetheless Seven, I've seen you around. You'll find Inside3d a bizarre mix of purist and experimental. I should do a chart sometime of such things...

Wow I need to check this thread more often (I often check activity while logged out).
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
dfblogic

Post by dfblogic »

Hello from dfblogic, aka stratocaster, aka strat, over at Alien Arena, where Irritant lets me hack on the code and does not get too upset when I break it. Did not play these games in the 90's, was busy with real-life in those days, but I am learning.

Besides 3D graphics and game software, my computer interests are GPL'd software, software development and documentation tools, and audio software. One big project for Alien Arena was converting the sound to OpenAL. Another was updating the build environment to Visual Studio 2010 and GNU Autotools (yes, that was painful). Have been struggling to master the maths for awhile; my long term project is to improve the map compiler. Also, looking to modernize the networking and input device code.

Thanks to all who post interesting and helpful info here.