Introduction Thread

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
OmegaPhlare

Re: Introduction Thread

Post by OmegaPhlare »

Hey everyone, I'm omegaphlare, or just omega. It used to be judicatoromega a long time ago. It's so long, I just wanted to have a handle that is unique among multiple websites. I'm still thinking of changing my handle one last time and not caring if it's unique. Obviously I am in this phase of my life: http://www.good.is/post/the-eternal-sha ... ne-handle/

Born in 87, I'm 24 as of the time of this writing. I was too young to have seriously played Doom and Quake, but I got in on Quake 3 Arena: no broadband connection though. Always loved community content, but I didn't have the know-how to contribute. I got really interested in what people were doing with Quake 1 which has a really great singleplayer. During Quake Expo 2003, there was joking mention on the #qexpo chat about people creating booths just to review other booths. I took the idea seriously and tried to post some additional screenshots and descriptions of mods. All I could remember now was the excellent Lunkin's Journey from ajay. I guess it was 9 years ago, I was immature and overly critical in my "review". I think I offended the guy and I'm very sorry that I did, because that mod was actually really awesome. Highly recommended: http://www.ajaysquakesite.co.uk/lunkin.htm

At some point, I was talking with someone on #quakec or #qc, and they told me I could go to college to learn programming. I can't remember who told me though. I was 17 or 18 at the time and might have taken that path anyways, but I still consider it a good life changing influence. I've been coding ever since junior college (6 years), and I graduated with a BA in Computer Science in December 2011.

I could already learn QuakeC and start making some Quake game/engine mods. But I have unfinished business with the last game I made at university. My team made the greatest and most advanced game to ever come out my university's Game Design program, but it just isn't good enough for publishing and I am unhappy with all the hacked together code and corner cutting. It takes 30 seconds to load the first level when it should take less than 3. Since I'm rewriting my game's engine, I'm looking at the Quake source for ideas, especially for adding networked multiplayer.

All that said. I am here to gain wisdom, knowledge, and insight from other people discussing issues in game and engine programming. I will be trying to participate and give solutions when I know well about the issues myself.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Welcome Omega to the I3D Forums! I'm sure your knowledge will be appreciated here!
My team made the greatest and most advanced game to ever come out my university's Game Design program, but it just isn't good enough for publishing
Any screen?
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
OmegaPhlare

Post by OmegaPhlare »

Hey thanks!
toneddu2000 wrote:
My team made the greatest and most advanced game to ever come out my university's Game Design program, but it just isn't good enough for publishing
Any screen?
I have a video hosted at my university. You could check it out at http://jtts.soe.ucsc.edu/videos.html.

It's an action-adventure-puzzle 3-player cooperative game. Most similar to the Legend of Zelda 3 (SNES) or Four Swords Adventures, except that the 3 characters all have unique abilities and usually everyone's abilities are needed to beat the level. The game uses drawn 2D characters in a 3D world. The world really is in full 3D because I wrote the collision/physics allowing players to fall off of cliffs, or occasionally find ways to get up to new heights. It was made with a team of 6 people. I was the programming lead, but I can't do all the work and tell everyone else how to do theirs.

When I say it's the most advanced thing out of my college, I really do mean it by comparison. Every year there is a senior game design studio series and the students present their game in an event at the end of the academic year (June). I've attended the game demonstrations, and I would have to tell you that my competition was no competition at all, whether it's from previous years or the same year that we did our project. I do like the other people in my same year, it's just that I would never want to work on their projects just the same way they wouldn't want to work on my project.

It's like trying to compare that game Lemmings (1991) to Doom (1993). Other teams were making Lemmings while we were attempting to make Doom. There certainly are a lot of people who will prefer to play Lemmings instead of Doom and some might even say that Lemmings is better game design. But Doom is definitely a more advanced game. Anyone who considers themselves a gamer will probably rather play Doom.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Hello OmegaPhlare! Welcome aboard.

Watched your video, it's really impressive. Congrats to you and your team!
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Supa

Post by Supa »

I just want to provide an update - I moved in with my boyfriend, Forest 'LordHavoc' Hale about three weeks ago and our life together couldn't be any more wonderful. :)
aut viam inveniam aut faciam
qbism

Post by qbism »

As you see the board is speechless. It's one thing to actually meet other Quake-ers IRL, maybe play some LAN, but this... Dang, best wishes to you both.
hogsy

Post by hogsy »

Supa wrote:I just want to provide an update - I moved in with my boyfriend, Forest 'LordHavoc' Hale about three weeks ago and our life together couldn't be any more wonderful. :)
Congrats :)
Chip

Post by Chip »

Supa wrote:I just want to provide an update - I moved in with my boyfriend, Forest 'LordHavoc' Hale about three weeks ago and our life together couldn't be any more wonderful. :)
Wow! Big update! Congratulations!

Looking forward to a "baby" Quake ;) or a "Quake" baby.
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Whoow, this is really great. A couple that share the same passion. :)

It´s always hard for me to persuade my wife to still have something to do on the computer for 30 minutes in the evening (it usualy gets 2 hours...) instead of coming in the living room and looking TV together...
I guess you two have a "different" living room. :wink:

Maybe like this:

But I think it is more like this:

Anyway, congratulations for doing this step !
Hopefully you will still have time for us "Quakers" instead of staying the whole day in bed ;)

Best wishes,
Seven
revelator

Post by revelator »

Congratz peeps :) allready got a hint on #qc though i was not sure.
Productivity is a state of mind.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Congrats people! Best wishes!
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Welp, looks like it's bye-bye single player mode, hello coop for ya, huh ? :D

Best wishes for you both!
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Baker

Post by Baker »

I think that's funny (*) and sweet at the same time :D

* in a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy improbability drive "calculation complete" way ... which either someone knows what I refer to or not. Explaining it would be pointless.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Supa

Post by Supa »

Thank you all for the well wishes. :)
aut viam inveniam aut faciam
JD420

Post by JD420 »

HI i am JD this is the first time i have been able to log in to inside3d. i have zero code skill so i do not think i will be posting much hear but i enjoy reading about all the things you guys are doing and trying to understand it all. if you ever want to get in touch with me you can always find me making an ass of my self over at quakeone.com

NOW STOP READING THIS AND GET BACK TO MAKING MORE GAMES I LOVE TO PLAY!!!!

PS don't forget to fix your nail code! that shit drives me nuts as a player :lol:
if you need help doing this feel free to ask and i will tell you everything seven told me to do :D