Introduction Thread

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Introduction Thread

Post by scar3crow »

Other forums have it, it makes sense for us to have it too. Since Inside3d has been around since roughly the dawn of time (time being Quake), we've built up a bit of a community here we all know and lust. Or love. Sometimes both.

However over the years we've accumulated many new faces, sometimes even whole persons, and as of late we've seen a lot more newcomers to the forums, so I think now is a good time to do the introduction thread, so they can get to know us, and we can get to know them.

I shall start with myself, because I am conveniently me.

Name is David, I do the news posts on i3d and help administer the forums. I have no particular skill, nor am I sufficiently inquisitive, but I do have a lot of ideas and like to help people broaden the horizons on their projects.

I've been playing Quake registered since Christmas 1996, and grew up with it, playing a lot of MegaTF particularly, and following the AI Cafe scene.

At present, I just try to help Quake in the little ways I can, I am recently married, and I do QA for instantaction.com

Anyone else, feel free to step forward, and be sure to mention your particular interests and skills, especially regarding Quake, so we as a community can help one another even better.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
avirox

Post by avirox »

Since yall seem to be shy, I guess I'll post my little thing here to start it off ;)

I've been involved in quake and quake team fortress for high on 10 years now, under the alias "avirox", "schranz38", and more recently XavioR.

I started playing QTF on HEAT.net in a clan called DM2 (and various other epic failures), then mplayer. When both of those went down, I felt I had nowhere else to turn but QuakeWorld, so I've been playing QW megatf since 2000~ish on Biscuit and Zap. In 2005 I started my first QuakeC project based on MegaTF which is now MegaTF United and megatf Coop.

I've also since worked on various other projects. I did some (mostly inconsequential) work on Nexuiz 1.5, and more recently Open Fortress (an open-sourced q3f based game) and Quake-Life (a half-life entity support mod for quake).

As for personal life, I've played guitar for 7 years doing various styles.. Whatever suits my mood ;p In college life I'm a sociology major, music minor. I see computers and related stuff as more of a hobby of mine than a trade, but the quake community has been really important to me. Currently I hang out on anynet and quakenet as "avirox", usually trading jests with scar3crow or someone. Whether it's quake mods or shredding arpeggios, I like to discuss it all ;) Peace,
Baker

Post by Baker »

I'm here to watch adaptive radiation unfold in real-time.

But I'm not here to just observe ... :D

On a more serious note, I find the thinking, expertise and love of the tools and the game to be fascinating.
MeTcHsteekle

Post by MeTcHsteekle »

/lol's at bakers Galapagos islands evolution reference

ya, so I'm meTch [ I'm beginning to think its pronounced with a slur, like in German how they have that "B" looking thing]. I've been playing quake for a year and i feel ill play for longer, I'm 17 i don't know what i was doing for the past 15.5 years. i enjoy musik, like; Sex Pistols, FEAR, Dead Kennedys, The Cramps, SUB_HUM_ANS, Iggy Pop and the Stooges, Black Flag, Ramones, Minor Threat, Circle Jerks, etc etc. i live and work on a farm feeding/beating/milking cows for a living [and when I'm older it'll be even more of that plus shooting them and driving big machinery >:D]. I'm junior in high school, i think i have anger issues, i can feel my thoughts break up as my mind erodes. i enjoy such movies as; Repo man, Evil Dead 1/2/, Army of Darkness(but I'm sure that's part of the evil dead series, but it does have a different name), the Punisher, Water World(two scenes, the part when the town get destroyed, and the part where the ship blows the fuck up, the rest is boring shit), Beavis and Butthead, etc. i cant spell, i find fps'(e)s a good way t get anger out [even more when you add an over-the-top elephant shotgun to quake, your unstoppable and it feels so satisfying to blow things away into gibs], i wanna add "Ludicrous Gibs!" to my next mod..like in ROTT (BTW it needs "hardwar" to run). my shoe size is 12 men's and i don't feel like typing no more [it'slike a fucking paragraph or so :0]
bah
Entar

Post by Entar »

I'm Entar. I started with engine programming, and Quake in general (besides playing the demo way back when) in 2004, primarily at QSG, and worked on a few different Quake 1 engine projects since then. I've done a little bit of QC too, with my IQ and later vr2mod projects, and I've made maps for vr2mod and other mods, and I've also helped with a tool for terrain generation called TerrainGen. I guess I've been pretty all-around.

Recently I haven't been particularly active in the Quake community, but I do hang around and check the forums from time to time, and throw in a comment occasionally.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

Im Ceriux, real name Charles... im 20 years old.

i know how to map using worldcraft, model using milkshape and small ammounts of wings 3d, i know how to texture using adobe photoshop, and im learning qc currently :D

ill say im able to do all of those things, but i wouldnt say im at a profecinally level and im obviously not so well with grammar and spelling...

currently... i work at yay... burger king... -,- im not married or anything like that.

ehhh when i first got into modding it was for a half-life 1 mod called mastersword (online rpg mod)

i havnt really been around for quake even though i was alive when it was booming... i actually just stumbled upon it not to long ago (im poor) so i illigally downloaded it and have been playing it since... honestly the first things i did was play a little bit of the game than just jumped right into modding it :D

ehh oh yea i have to throw this in! I am a proud Juggalo!

ehh... myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/mnckla
Ston3r

Post by Ston3r »

My name is Parker, I use the handle Ston3r (Jee, can't you tell I was 14 years old when I came up with that name?). I've been playin' Quake since late '96. Maily DM, then moved to TF, then CustomTF.

I know some QuakeC, very proficient in mapping with Qoole and WorldCraft, Minor skills in modeling, animation and less skill in textures & skins.

I've started a few mods, none saw the light of day. But I'm gonna try a make a tactical shooter mod for QuakeGX (Quake on the Wii).
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Hi, my name is Ryan and I'm a quakeaholic.

I go by the hacker alias "Frika C", and I'm guilty of....never mind. I've previously written a bunch of stuff: a compiler, a bots, several mods, most of them tagged with the prefix Frik- since it's a convenient and unimaginative way to name things.

I'm the site administrator here at Inside3D. I've been active in the Quake community since late 1997 and released my first public mod in 1998 iirc.

Currently, I work in the game industry as an AI programmer, which has left me little time to continue working on my Quake projects, but I do what I can.

I love bacon. It is the best form of fatty sliced pork money can buy.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

that "B" looking thing

You mean "ß"? That would make your nick pronounced like "Metsssteekel" (evil German accent).

I'm gb, short for the unspeakably stupid moniker I gave myself way back when, because I really couldn't think or cared to think about anything better. What's in a name right. I'm 34, male, and from the northernmost Germany. My second language is Danish.

My main interest is with mapping, but I'm getting good at C/QC, too, mostly because it's necessary - but I enjoy coding, too.

My game interests are Doom, Quake, Quake II, Hexen II, and stuff like Tomb Raider. I do like real RPGs (Black Isle) and RTS, though. I don't follow newer games much. I joined the so-called community in late 2005 or something. I had played Doom when it came out, but afterwards lost interest due to RL.

At the moment, and for the foreseeable future, I have sworn a blood oath to bind myself to the RemakeQuake project, together with a couple other cultists, whose names shall not be mentioned.

http://qexpo.tastyspleen.net/booth.php?id=157
http://celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=60279

I am also a musician and a songwriter. And finally, I have an interest in Old Norse traditions.
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

My nick is CocoT and I think I'd rather have it associated with a brand of lingerie than a cereal-eating monkey (even though none of them have anything to do with why I chose this name).

I got involved in the Quake1 community exactly 10 years ago (late 1998) through AI's Cafe forums. Before that, I mapped for Doom and Duke3D. I'm primarily a modder (check my site if you're unfamiliar with my work), have been involved with a few Quake "projects" such as news posting in the old times of MDQNet and, of course, the first QExpo. A couple of years ago, I announced my retirement from Quake1 but, a few months later, realizing that I really missed it and that I could consider modding as a hobby among others rather than a time-consuming passion, I came back :)

Piece of trivia: I used to be an avid japanese idols scans collector, but I, unlike Quake modding, I actually did retire from that hobby (being now married and all ;))

Old times...
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
ajay

Post by ajay »

Hello. My online name ajay comes from the initials of the christian names of my real name; Andy James Simpson. My surname also means I sometime go under ajayhomer, especially on xbox live.
Anyway, I have been quake modding on and off since about 2000, releasing around 5 mods in that time.
I'm pretty much the oldest person around here being in my *cough* late 30's - meaning early 40's. I live in the UK and my real-life job is as Deputy Manager in a Respite Service for Children with Learning Disabilities.
I try my hand most at the mapping and quakeC side of modding, I've not really learnt modelling, but realise I should.
Electro

Post by Electro »

Heya I'm Benjamin Darling.
I make effective use of my time (http://forums.inside3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=1060, oh look how effecient!) and try and expand my knowledge as much as possible. Art/Programming/Level Design/Game Design etc.
Benjamin Darling
http://www.bendarling.net/

Reflex - In development competitive arena fps combining modern tech with the speed, precision and freedom of 90's shooters.
http://www.reflexfps.net/
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

I am frag.machine, aka Carlos and also nearing the 40th spring (like you, ajay!). I live in Brazil, and I've been playing, modding and coding to Quake since 1997, but my only released project was the now practically abandoned Q2K4, although I also can do QC coding, modeling and mapping (with very mediocre results, I must admit). I am a professional programmer (not in the game industry, unfortunately) and I think Quake is the greatest piece of game software I ever had the chance to put my hands on in all this time, and I like to hang around those forums just to learn more about it.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Supa

Post by Supa »

I still feel like a newbie, really.

Anyway, hi. I'm Emilia.

I kind of got sucked into this when I decided I wanted to combine TF 2.5 with the ReaperBot. After decompiling and attempting to combine the two I appearantly got a bit too curious for my own good. :)

For the amount of time I spend running experiments I'd like to think I'm a decent gameplay designer. Oh, and I guess I can code in QC and troubleshoot serverside QCVM issues if that matters any. :)

When I'm not working on a project or busy with obligations, I'm probably trying to improve in one 2D Fighting game or another. I can't really enjoy any game that is remotely similar to what I'm working on. :| I've developed an unconscious habit of picking said designs apart so I might be able to improve my project by learning from others. So I guess when my current project ends I might be able to play FPS games again. Who knows?
aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

I'm Dr. Shadowborg.

I don't particularly feel like sharing my real name right now, though some already do know it.

I've messed around with doom (dehacked, no mapping) and duke3d (messed around with some primitive maps and con coding but never went anywhere with it) prior to settling down with quake.

I also seem to be that unnoticable coder guy that everybody's eyes seem to skip over when they scan the room. =P

Currently, my main quake work is my Hellsmash mod which was aptly named by FrikaC. (the original name was too long and I've forgotten it now.) Oh and I may or may not also be one of those fiendish summoned creatures that gb and ijed call in via said blood pact from time to time....though real life issues and whatnot have delivered a severe Waverider Crash to the face of my will to code. :cry: