Forum

What are you working on?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.

Moderator: InsideQC Admins

Re: What are you working on?

Postby Spike » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:58 pm

y o u s h o u l d p r o b a b l y d o s o m e t h i n g a b o u t a l l t h e e x t r a n e o u s s p a c e s , t h e y k i n d a m a k e i t h a r d t o r e a d .

I'm not saying variable-width nor ttf fonts (which are fun, but messy), just that non-square glyphs would really help readability (though perhaps not with CJK glyphs).
Spike

Postby Shpuld » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:34 am

Been working a bit on procedural level generation for something roguelite-ish. I first have it generate a 4x4 layout of meta-tiles using a somewhat simple algorithm that guarantees levels that aren't too simple and never have too long dead ends, and going to the exit never requires the player to go south by design.

then after this step the map itself is filled with actual tiles based on the meta-tiles. each meta-tile represents just a basic shape (straight, corner, t-junction, dead-end), and I'm planning on having a good amount of pre-made 8x8 tile layouts for each meta-tile shape, so it can just pick those randomly to generate the actual level. I haven't gotten this far yet, but I started making my own tile editor for these 8x8 shapes
Shpuld

Postby Shpuld » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:43 pm

Continued from the previous post:

I improved the tile editor for the meta tiles, now you can save save and load tile sets, pick which category, and which variation of that category you are editing. still some minor bugs in it, and in the future I'll have more than just wall/not-wall as paintable types, like enemy and item placements.

Here's a video of it in action: https://i.imgur.com/YpeWenk.mp4

Then I implemented filling an actual map grid using both the meta tile map (in the first gif in the previous post) and a tile set created with the tile editor, spawning block entities in server qc for each tile and set their model/solid accordingly.

Shpuld

Previous

Return to General Discussion