What are you working on?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Electro

Post by Electro »

Cheers :)

Not sure if these will even be used, might be best to just go with no viewmodel hands as there will be so many different character models playable... didn't seem to bother q2 though!

Benjamin Darling
http://www.bendarling.net/

Reflex - In development competitive arena fps combining modern tech with the speed, precision and freedom of 90's shooters.
http://www.reflexfps.net/
Quest

Post by Quest »

da da da dum *click click*...
redrum

Post by redrum »

Electro, are you still working on the shockbot???
Welcome to the Overlook Hotel: The-Overlook-Hotel.game-server.cc
Electro

Post by Electro »

redrum: yes, it's been started from scratch basically though.. i've only brought across the elements from the original shockbot that i was happy with.

A few systems that were brought across were node management (including .node file handling), .bot personality files and umm.. the basics like adding/removing bots.

New things include a completely state based system, allowing for the bots to carry out lots of different specific tasks, making them able to play other gamemodes and things rather easily (like taking cover for example).

The only states that are in place are idle, dead and long term goal. So basically runs around the map getting items with buggy ledge avoidance and other things.. and if it dies it knows to mash buttons to respawn ;) ... doesn't even fire yet although the aiming systems are all in place. So it's quite a fair bit off being playable but i think it's showing promise.

Completely new routing, there is both an A* and Dijkstra variant implementations (which are currently NOT used, but available if needed for other mods where navigation calls for something else more specific). The new routing method I've gone with is like what havocbot has (nice work there LordHavoc) allowing for the bots to easily be able to keep track of the respawn times for items at higher skills, and to truely know the distance to everything to take into consideration prior to choosing a goal.

That's of course not to mention the automatic level learning stuff that's in place. ;) The bot is currently able to play quite a few levels without me having to manually place nodes for it myself. (doesn't support lifts/buttons/plats yet), although it does support teleporters in a buggy state! (not sure why the bugs are there yet, works fine with manual placement)

I had a demo of the bot processing the klzvob map in 15 seconds, then it was able to run around and navigate well, collecting all items... but I don't know where i've put it and i'm at work! Anyway you get the idea :P
Benjamin Darling
http://www.bendarling.net/

Reflex - In development competitive arena fps combining modern tech with the speed, precision and freedom of 90's shooters.
http://www.reflexfps.net/
MDave

Post by MDave »

This is what I'm working on! Although I guess the only thing quake about it anymore is the engine (and a few sounds I've yet to replace).

http://bladebattles.com/kurok/index.html
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

MaNNnn... that's just what I was looking for to play on me PSP! ..Well I was actually looking for a better(more advanced) Quake engine to play mods on my PSP, but this pretty sweet to me... I downloading it now! :D
MDave wrote:This is what I'm working on! Although I guess the only thing quake about it anymore is the engine (and a few sounds I've yet to replace).

http://bladebattles.com/kurok/index.html
Update:

..Kurok is awesome! The best none commercial PSP game I've played on my PSP... It being based some what in Quake roots (even if loosely) makes it better to me.. Now if I could just get an earlier, non DP Taov release to play on my PSP! :roll:
MeTcHsteekle

Post by MeTcHsteekle »

heeh i like the screen shot that has the "if u can make this out send post card" thing on it :D ....it seems i can read almost anything even if its upsidedown and possibly backwards :|
bah
ijed

Hello

Post by ijed »

Thought I'd take a look over here apart from the tutorials since I'm learning (mangling) Qc.

Interesting to see alot of names I know of or half-know from various mods, like seeing another side of Quake.

I'm working on a remake of episode 3 - nothing for The QExpo (Cocot, sorry, I don't think I'll be able to build anything for your transloquake competition).

The remake thing is going, well. I've invested so much time in it that stopping would be stupid, but the maps and Qc are both pretty mangled.

No good without screenshots? Here's one courtesy of Lunaran;

http://lunaran.com/pics/ogrehard.gif
Supa

Post by Supa »

ijed wrote:The remake thing is going, well. I've invested so much time in it that stopping would be stupid, but the maps and Qc are both pretty mangled.
Sounds great. :) Please let us know if you need any help, and welcome to i3d!

As for me I'm just working on a small update to my mod, But I'm afraid I won't have anything worth taking screenshots of until after the expo. :)
aut viam inveniam aut faciam
mh

Post by mh »

Nothing for the Expo itself, but I'm working on a new MHQuake and have been since the start of the year, aside from a break in April/May/June. It's been a long and painful birth, but it's also been a very enjoyable experience and I've learned a lot from what I've done so far.

Visually it's utterly standard fare, but a lot (and I mean a lot - I'd guess near a 25% total rewrite, with other large portions substantially worked on) has changed under the bonnet. It's difficult to post screenshots of a totally new input subsystem, y'know, and menus aren't really worth getting excited over until you realise that you've got a menu system that lets you expose any new option to the user in a single line of code (two if you need an extern).

Lately I've been utterly fastidious about getting this part of it right - a lot of focus in engine mods generally goes on visual appeal, what comes out, but here I've been putting quite a bit of effort into what goes in, and just making the engine as nice to interact with as possible.

Still don't know when a release will happen, but here's the nearest thing to a taster screenshot I can give: :wink:

Code: Select all

//=============================================================================
/* MAIN MENU */

void M_Main_Back (void)
{
	key_dest = key_game;
	m_state = m_none;
	cls.demonum = m_save_demonum;

if (cls.demonum != -1 && !cls.demoplayback && cls.state != ca_connected) CL_NextDemo ();
}

CMenu main_menu (M_Main_Back);

void M_Menu_Main_f (void)
{
	if (key_dest != key_menu)
	{
		m_save_demonum = cls.demonum;
		cls.demonum = -1;
	}

key_dest = key_menu;
	m_state = m_main;
	m_entersound = true;
}

void M_Main_Init (void)
{
	main_menu.AddPic ();
	main_menu.AddPic ("gfx/ttl_main.lmp");
	main_menu.AddTitle ("Select a Submenu");
	main_menu.AddOption (M_Menu_SinglePlayer_f, "Single Player Menu");
	main_menu.AddSpacer ();
	main_menu.AddOption (M_Menu_MultiPlayer_f, "Multiplayer Menu");
	main_menu.AddSpacer ();
	main_menu.AddOption ("\35\36\36\36\36\36\36\36\36\36\36\36\36\37");
	main_menu.AddSpacer ();
	main_menu.AddOption (M_Menu_Game_f, "Games Menu");
	main_menu.AddSpacer ();
	main_menu.AddOption (M_Menu_Maps_f, "Maps Menu");
	main_menu.AddSpacer ();
	main_menu.AddOption (M_Menu_Options_f, "Options Menu");
	main_menu.AddSpacer ();
	main_menu.AddOption (M_Menu_Quit_f, "Exit Quake");
}

void M_Main_Draw (void)
{
	main_menu.Draw ();
}

void M_Main_Key (int key)
{
	main_menu.Key (key);
}

Code: Select all

/*
==============================================================================================================

KEYBOARD DEVICE

==============================================================================================================
*/

CDIKeyboard::CDIKeyboard (void)
{
	// set the device name
	strcpy (this->DeviceName, "Keyboard");

// run an event discard to set the initial state
	this->DiscardEvents ();
}

void CDIKeyboard::RunEvents (void)
{
	if (!this->Initialized) return;
	if (!this->Acquired) return;

// poll the device
	if (!this->PollDevice ()) return;

// get the state
	HRESULT hr = this->TheDevice->GetDeviceState (256, this->KeyDevState);

// see if access to the device has been lost (or if it's not acquired at all), and if so,
	// attempt to re-acquire it.
	if ((hr == DIERR_INPUTLOST) || (hr == DIERR_NOTACQUIRED))
	{
		// re-acquire
		this->Acquired = false;
		this->Acquire ();
		return;
	}

// otherwise failed to read - this is done after the above
	// test as otherwise FAILED (hr) will trap those conditions.
	if (FAILED (hr)) return;

// perform key actions
	for (int i = 0; i < NUM_DI_KEYS; i++)
	{
		// not a key we're interested in
		if (!DI_Key_Map[i]) continue;

// get the state
		this->KeyState[i] = (this->KeyDevState[i] & 0x80);

// run the events
		if (this->KeyState[i] && !this->OldKeyState[i]) Key_Event (DI_Key_Map[i], true);
		if (!this->KeyState[i] && this->OldKeyState[i]) Key_Event (DI_Key_Map[i], false);

// store back
		this->OldKeyState[i] = this->KeyState[i];
	}
}

void CDIKeyboard::DiscardEvents (void)
{
	for (int i = 0; i < NUM_DI_KEYS; i++)
	{
		// not a key we're interested in
		if (!DI_Key_Map[i]) continue;

// send an up event for each key to make sure they're really cleared
		Key_Event (i, false);

// clear the state
		this->KeyState[i] = false;
		this->OldKeyState[i] = false;
	}
}
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
Chris

Post by Chris »

Urre

Post by Urre »

Pretty awesome shit man, it's really starting to take shape. Look forward to when it's getting a bit more polished, it had some minor clunkyness to it, but overall really cool.

One thing was particularly disturbing though, was how bad the effects for the fire extinguisher were. I'd like to see a slimmer stream of foam, with actual gravity applied to them, rather than slowly flying straight forward. Also give the sprite's name an exclamation mark in the beginning, and they won't be fullbright in dark rooms.

Keep it up!
I was once a Quake modder
ijed

Post by ijed »

Thanks Supa, most of my posts here will be on generic crap 'didn't he learn that his first day coding?' stuff. (Hungover that day ;) ) But hopefully it'll end up with something worth playing.

mh - I couldn't read your code very well, but I'll say that I prefer under the bonnet stuff over visual gimmickry any day. Better visuals are good, but 200% better if they're backed up by the real stuff. :)
GiffE

Post by GiffE »

Been working on doing some "fun movements". I don't exactly know how else to explain it other than I'm primarily focusing on the art of moving, and speed rather than gun combat.

I won't do any guns or weapons at all, letting players engage either each other or AI in melee combat (with fists and kick moves which is speed dependent)

Video of the "Work in Progress" is on my site:
http://giffe-bin.net/media.php?type=2
(Its the last one, and is completely unrelated to everything else on there)

For the most part all the movements are done I have:
-Wall Jumping
-Power Slide (for sliding under obstacles quickly)
-Climbing (where if one runs and times their jump right on a lower wall, they will quickly scale it)
-Ledge Grabbing/Jumping (Grab a ledge quickly and climb up)

The last "moves" I will be doing are: wall running (only for around 3 steps) and when you "grab and swing" where u can swing across areas. I already started that but simply got stuck on the physical swing motion...

So its very much like "Mirror's Edge" but MP... still fun to work on :D
Chris

Post by Chris »

Looks good man, your wall climbing stuff is pretty nice, looking forward to see more out of it.