What are you working on?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Spike

Re: What are you working on?

Post by Spike »

on that subject, there's already https://github.com/plankatron/quakemash
however, it lacks the qc code to go with it (like per-region gravity or sane coop respawning, and skill selection can be a problem too).
make of it what you will, I'm just linking it because it feels relevant to do so.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Thanks for the link, Spike. I learned about this other project in another thread here, and even tried to open their map without success, which led me to try this experiment. The skill portals are a real problem I haven't solved on this version, but otherwise is quite playable so I decided to release it as is.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Just so you know, I uploaded links for CraFTEr editor. It's barely unusable right now, sorry for that, but really little time to dedicate to the project. Anyway you'll find a juicy README and some code that you could fork for another project(plus some unpolished 3d models and textures)!
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
planaria

Post by planaria »

frag.machine wrote:Thanks for the link, Spike. I learned about this other project in another thread here, and even tried to open their map without success, which led me to try this experiment. The skill portals are a real problem I haven't solved on this version, but otherwise is quite playable so I decided to release it as is.
uhhh , why couldnt you open it ? i can try to fix it
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

planaria wrote:
frag.machine wrote:Thanks for the link, Spike. I learned about this other project in another thread here, and even tried to open their map without success, which led me to try this experiment. The skill portals are a real problem I haven't solved on this version, but otherwise is quite playable so I decided to release it as is.
Hi planaria,
I tried to load the .bsp file using the recomended engine (IIRC a quakespasm variant with some changes from Spike) downloaded from the repo page, but it just failed. Can't remember the exact error now. I assumed it wasn't playable at the current stage.
Then, I tried to open the .map file but as one would expect my ancient version of QuArK just gasped and crashed (I know, it's past time to move to TB, but it's hard to leave old habits... :P ).

Anyway, in the end it was more fun to try for myself to cram the first episode in a single map, and I achieved both (the map and the fun). :D
If you guys want to use my QuakeC as a placeholder until someone makes a proper mod, please help yourselves. It assumes the episode map has some custom entities to identify every mission area, otherwise the behaviour falls back to vanilla Quake. It doesn't solve everything, but at least it's playable.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
planaria

Post by planaria »

well, i managed to compile the engine for linux (thanks spoike) , and infact it actually loaded MUCH faster then on darkplaces (i have no idea why). It Should work with that engine, but as I am not on your computer I will never know. I would love to further debug if you have any time though, its pretty awesome that you got localized zero g into your version. I will have to check out your solution and i would agree that it is pretty fun to assemble the levels together. if you ever want to team up to try to make the whole thing I would love to discuss it. I am on #qc and #darkplaces on irc.anynet.org
frag.machine wrote:
planaria wrote:
Hi planaria,
I tried to load the .bsp file using the recomended engine (IIRC a quakespasm variant with some changes from Spike) downloaded from the repo page, but it just failed. Can't remember the exact error now. I assumed it wasn't playable at the current stage.
Then, I tried to open the .map file but as one would expect my ancient version of QuArK just gasped and crashed (I know, it's past time to move to TB, but it's hard to leave old habits... :P ).

Anyway, in the end it was more fun to try for myself to cram the first episode in a single map, and I achieved both (the map and the fun). :D
If you guys want to use my QuakeC as a placeholder until someone makes a proper mod, please help yourselves. It assumes the episode map has some custom entities to identify every mission area, otherwise the behaviour falls back to vanilla Quake. It doesn't solve everything, but at least it's playable.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

I will try it again at the weekend and give you some feedback. The low grav only reliably works on FTEQW revision 5133 or later (it's where Spike fixed the .gravity entity field behaviour), I suppose should be a trivial fix for your quakespasm branch. Unfortunately due real life constraints I cannot commit to join your team but as I said feel free to scavenge and use the code or the map source for your own project.
planaria

Post by planaria »

I updated the readme and tested out quakemash on fteqw latest build and that specific build of quakespasm , for fteqw make sure you type in sv_bigcoords 1 and if you have audio issues change the sound source in the audio options, in quakespasm make sure to type sv_protocol 999 , it should work out of the box in darkplaces but if it doesnt i would love to know. I really appreciate you testing it as i would have never noticed this stuff ! (big thanks to spoike for helping troubleshoot it all)
frag.machine wrote:I will try it again at the weekend and give you some feedback. The low grav only reliably works on FTEQW revision 5133 or later (it's where Spike fixed the .gravity entity field behaviour), I suppose should be a trivial fix for your quakespasm branch. Unfortunately due real life constraints I cannot commit to join your team but as I said feel free to scavenge and use the code or the map source for your own project.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

player model, im most definitely going to have to redo the colors so they can be changed in the settings menu..

small update did a test to see if i could export to md3 and convert to mdl successfully - success , my mesh/texture in qme

next i have to work on rigging and animation... but i dont know if i want to skip that and redo his texture in wally so the colors change correctly... both seem to be a pain for me..

anyways decided to work on the skin, here's the finalized version with working color options.

oh and this is one of the cooler combos imo

toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

I kinda like the torso-head-arms part (modeling+texturing), not quite sure for the lower part. Thighs and legs seem anatomically incorrect and feet seem a little lame.
But, is the player some kind of racer?
Was your goal to create a low poly character with low poly look? If so, ok, it seems accomplished. But if you're aiming to create a detailed character, may I suggest a different approach? Start with a very detailed and dense mesh, use boolean operations, sculpting and whatever you need to be similar to your original sketch(you did a sketch, right?) and, when the high model is done, render only ambient occlusion and normal passes and use them to create diffuse color (try to avoid glossy details and give the texture a matte-albedo look). Then you could paint specular textures (I suggest a full black canvas with very very subtle white details only where needed) and you're quite good to go for a first test
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

yeah, i was going for the low poly thing, i dont really like higher poly artwork personally it's kind of ruined gaming imo quakes 3d graphics were the best. something about ultra low poly is very charming when it comes to gaming for me. its really hard sometimes to make the shapes you need. so imo it takes a whole different type of skill to do that kind of modeling.

i'm no professional when it comes to anything with game design. it's 100% hobby for me. so what is my best, may not always be the best. but i try..

one day i hope to do something like this :

the OP said that this model is only 478 tri's , how ever i'm sure his texture map is probably over 300x300

some other things i find inspirational:

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021068/uploads/ed ... n9aet3.png
http://i.imgur.com/sgEuBvV.gif
http://www.killpixelgames.com/dev/heretic_painted.gif
https://us.v-cdn.net/5021068/uploads/ed ... 1l7583.gif
https://us.v-cdn.net/5021068/uploads/ed ... 1vmbqo.jpg
http://orig03.deviantart.net/41d2/f/201 ... ajz3p5.gif
https://cdn1.artstation.com/p/assets/im ... 1466442816

and as for a sketch... nope... no sketch.. firstly im a really bad physical artist, there's no alpha/erase tool irl.

and for my texture... my uv mapping skills are horrible so i try to keep things fairly simple. on top of that i dont have a tablet, everything i do is by mouse. (i really need to get one but im poor and i always put it off.)

oh! and if you want to see the model , with a bit of animation done. you can pop this in QME : https://www.dropbox.com/s/6d8p8q2nko4g8 ... m.zip?dl=0
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Completely agree. Very interesting images, thanks for sharing.
The big image you posted is very cool but, I guess, it's something you can achieve with a lot of rehearsals and practice. If you have problem with anatomical proportions I suggest you to "cheat" as I do and use MakeHuman, create the figure you need, export it as obj. Import it in your 3d app and start modeling using boxes and sphere the main figure over MakeHuman's one.
The big image character for example, it can be simplified to stretched spheres (thigs,legs,upperarms, arms,torso and head) and then refining, step by step, the complete figure

Regarding
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

i use an anatomy picture for reference. but on the legs iv dropped the knees way too low. but for some reason im liking it . ill probably keep it. if anything so i can continue to get work done. once i have a release of my mod/tc i might go back and rework / remake my model if there are a ton of complaints.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Your model is overall fine, although the crotch area looks a bit weird (the space between the legs seems excessive).
It looks like some kind of racer or pilot. Not military at all, I don't know if that's intentional. But definitely Quake-ish in the style.

To improve your UV mapping skills I'd suggesting checking old custom skins for the default player model, it's amazing the number of tricks and coloring techniques people used to overcome the file format and the color pallete.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

he's just supposed to be a regular guy with a motorcycle helmet on lol. it might sound bad , but i'm going for an overly generic character. it's for mp plus i dont like in mp games where you can see the players face and they're all the same guy. hiding his face kind of breaks that up to me.